Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my phone is patched and themed

86 37.55%
  • Yes, but only patches, no themes

127 55.46%
  • No, and I have good reason not to

12 5.24%
  • No, why should I do it? Where do I start?

4 1.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingInIowa.com View Post
    If there is no problem now with the updates then I would love to try some.

Just not sure I can figure out the steps.
    Check out my link in the original post. Its easy to install and a one time only deal. I have about 80+ patches running now and my phone is just as fast as it was stock. In fact its actually faster since I customized it to suit my needs best. My launcher has 5 rows of 5 icons instead of the standard three as an example. Themes are the only thing that may cause conflicts so use at your own discretion. I'm running the clear launcher theme and can verify that there is no bad code in it.

I figured a couple board members were unaware of patching/the simplicity of unlocking the phone which is why I created this thread.

From what I've read, patches downloaded through Preware go through a quality inspection check before being released so there isn't any risk in bettering your phone.
    another question, I read previously that people has virtual keyboard installed, and it seems can not be removed through Preware completely.

Is this a problem occurring on other patches? Is this problem fixed on latest virtual keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    another question, I read previously that people has virtual keyboard installed, and it seems can not be removed through Preware completely.

Is this a problem occurring on other patches? Is this problem fixed on latest virtual keyboard?
    I don't know if it's still a problem or not but there is a service in preware now that removes old files created by VKB. It's called "CLEANUP VKB files".
    thanks, Im looking at these patches I might try
    :Enable Add/Delete Pages
    :Read/Delete All Email
    :Virtual Keyboard
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    My phone is stock, and the reason is that I haven't seen a single patch that looked compelling to me--some of them look really stupid actually. I'm just being honest!
    I think you're trippin, just being honest . Like I said, when I open my launcher 25 apps are displayed and it always opens to the top of the first page. I also added an add launcher pages patch and my second page contains all my speed dial contacts. The third page is for the rest of the settings. My topbar menu has been patched to turn on/off my bluetooth and gps as well as a control my screen brightness. All things that sap the battery. I also added a shortcut into the menu to toggle my LED flashlight.
    I have patches but no themes as of yet..I must thank the person, persons or teams who created preware. Just introduced my husband to preware..i think he's addicted lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    is it guaranteed to work though?
    Absolutely not. It hasn't been tested with an actual WebOS update before.

It does look promising though.
  8.    #28  
    Preware is the isht. Its basically a super thorough phone settings menu. The patches subforum here is great as well. If you've always liked WebOS but thought there was something missing that you'd like to see, you can always make a request and see if its possible.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I never thought of that, higher/famous figures coming to Precentral.

Hmm one more reason to like the Pre, a single site to ask/learn/mod/develop/etc etc.
    Palm should replace that useless Sprint app with a Precentral one.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Patched and never going back.
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    I never thought of that, higher/famous figures coming to Precentral.

Hmm one more reason to like the Pre, a single site to ask/learn/mod/develop/etc etc.
    Palm should replace that useless Sprint app with a Precentral one.
    agreed
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    99.9%
    My Pre is a patchaholic...

Well, I wish the webOS internals guys would chime in here on testing because I got the impression they did a LOT of testing. Doctoring back to previous releases, patching then updating with the patches in place.

Now I know it hasn't been tested by all of us "in the wild" yet, but I will be testing it as soonas 1.4 comes out!!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    yes mine is patched and tweaked, been that way since the day they hit the stores...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    My phone is stock, and the reason is that I haven't seen a single patch that looked compelling to me--some of them look really stupid actually...
    I was in your camp until last week. Then I installed Preware to see what all the fuss was about. Today I can say, my phone is a *much* better experience than it was prior to doing some patching. See below for some of the stuff I've done.

* 3000 autoreplace words (including the BlackBerry set)
    * Added the date at top bar next to the time
    * Changed the number of bookmarks on the web browsing page to 100
    * Close slider to end calls
    * Disable landscape gesture scroll
    * Enable add/delete pages in Launcher
    * Named pages in Launcher
    * Enable landscape pdf viewer/e-mail
    * Add hot keys to web browser for navigating to top/bottom of page
    * No alert during call
    * Slider opens to speaker

As you can see there are some very useful mod's!

Actually, AUPT was tested over 30 times by Eric Gaudet using the 1.3.1 webOS Doctor to completely wipe his own personal Pre, then install 200 patches, then wait for an OTA update to 1.3.5 to complete, then run Update All in Preware. You can imagine how long each of those 30 test cycles takes ...

To say that it has not been tested does an enormous disservice to the hundred hours or more of unpaid volunteer time that Eric and other members of the WebOS Internals team (including probably 10 test cycles by myself and Daniel) put into testing AUPT over 5 weeks before it was released.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/03/2010 at 05:48 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I do have about 40 patches installed.. and I cant understand how somebody can live without them
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    oh oh oh i c you Forum members lololol,........... well about 99.5 % of these people have their phone modded and maybe more . there are even some movie stars and singers songwriters and other well known people in these forums . of course they wont ever tell you but they are here hacking away at their phone just like you and me!!
    Me famous? No. Only here, at Pre|C.
    But i am one of that .5% that didn't (and not ashamed).
    no patches but i have homebrew
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast