Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    I have searched the forums but can't find what I am looking for. I need to know if mytether or any other app like it can be downloaded and installed directly to the pre without using a computer.
    I have preware installed, but nothing else. Thanks.
  2. #2  
    without a computer?....I don't think so
  3. #3  
    mytether definitely requires a computer. If you know your way around Linux you could install mobile hotspot without a computer.
  4.    #4  
    I can spell linux, and that's pretty much the extent of my linux knowledge.
  5. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #5  
    You can use preware to install terminal app and plugin and then use terminal to install mytether.

    Now that my tether is installed you can tether and download freetether and mobile hot spot etc and install those via quick install which you can download while tethered.
  6. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    #6  
    Linux isn't as scary as you'd think. I actually had more trouble getting mytether to work right with the desktop installer. One command at the linux command line and I was set to go.
  7.    #7  
    Ok, trying that now. I can see disaster written all over this...
  8. #8  
    nope u have to use a comp to install it go to palm pre hacks .com u can either buy the updated version without having to hack tha pre or take tha free 1 where u got to do a bunch of crap to install it if u buy the the updated 1 u get a quick installer 4 it i would like to know if any 1 that has the tether besides me can tell me how i can get my ps3 or xbox360 to read the wifi off the tether cause only my pc can find it but not my game consoles
  9.    #9  
    have terminal. Can't find plugin. Also, I do have a pc, just don't have internet where I live. Is there a way to downlaod mytether onto my phone then move the file onto the pc?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    You can use preware to install terminal app and plugin and then use terminal to install mytether.
    I forgot that Aonic added that functionality.
  11. #11  
    yeah you should be able to download them with your phone, then hook it up in usb mode and transfer to your computer so u can install it from there
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    I forgot that Aonic added that functionality.
    I don't see a plugin app in preware. Also is there a link or instructions somewhere to show me how to do this?
  13. evperry's Avatar
    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    #13  
    hey rooster,

    im gonna assume that you, like me, have no bloody idea what your doing. you and i need to become friends for the next day or so, as i bought this pre for my wife and she is demanding this wifi before she heads out to her ski trip with her friends.

    i know less than zero about linux, preware, sdk, idk etc.

    i do know that i need to get this done.

    i have a mac but im gonna bootcamp to my pc side and i know i gotta make this thing a usb drive to get this installed.

    obviously i know less than you but im willing to tackle thing thing along with you.

    how far have you gotten?

    Quote Originally Posted by rooster12979 View Post
    I don't see a plugin app in preware. Also is there a link or instructions somewhere to show me how to do this?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster12979 View Post
    I have searched the forums but can't find what I am looking for. I need to know if mytether or any other app like it can be downloaded and installed directly to the pre without using a computer.
    I have preware installed, but nothing else. Thanks.
    No, there's just no way to do it. You can't even get it through Preware.
  15. #15  
    MyTether is not in Preware, and the ipks cannot even be installed by WebOS Quick Install. This is because Aonic purposely made it not work, so he can promote his paid version's installer (which still installs it in a non-recommended way). Don't expect to see it easily installable/uninstall anytime soon; both myself and people from webOS-Internals have contacted Aonic previously, to less than enthusiastic reactions from Aonic.

    Mobile Hotspot is an app designed for the Verizon Pre, however will work on non-Verizon devices if you enable ip forwards before use (or use the patch I made). The ipk is not hosted on PreCentral due to legality issues, but it's available in various other places. That ipk will, however, install/uninstall properly in WebOS Quick Install.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    MyTether is not in Preware, and the ipks cannot even be installed by WebOS Quick Install. This is because Aonic purposely made it not work, so he can promote his paid version's installer (which still installs it in a non-recommended way). Don't expect to see it easily installable/uninstall anytime soon; both myself and people from webOS-Internals have contacted Aonic previously, to less than enthusiastic reactions from Aonic.

    Mobile Hotspot is an app designed for the Verizon Pre, however will work on non-Verizon devices if you enable ip forwards before use (or use the patch I made). The ipk is not hosted on PreCentral due to legality issues, but it's available in various other places. That ipk will, however, install/uninstall properly in WebOS Quick Install.
    Jason does that mean that if you have the Mobile Hotspot app and your patch you do not need freeTether to make it work as as a WIFI router. I thought you needed freeTether as well.

    Thanks.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  17. #17  
    Question, if I pay for the my tether app instead of using the free one do I have to have my pre rooted still? Or does it work just install and go??
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Jason does that mean that if you have the Mobile Hotspot app and your patch you do not need freeTether to make it work as as a WIFI router. I thought you needed freeTether as well.

    Thanks.
    if you use Mobile Hotspot, and the patch, you'll still need freeTetherD linux daemon, but not freeTether Basically one less icon in your launcher and ip forwarding enabling is automatic.

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
    Question, if I pay for the my tether app instead of using the free one do I have to have my pre rooted still? Or does it work just install and go??
    if you pay money, aonic will give an installer (that still doesn't install it according to proper standards). Keep in mind if ya can get ahold of the mobile hotspot app, it'll install and uninstall like any proper package (whereas MyTether's service isn't uninstallable in WOSQI/Preware).


    All that said, keep in mind tethering is at your own risk. Sprint/other-carriers may or may not find out and may or may not charge you additional money.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  19.    #19  
    I'm even more confused now. I'm going to buy a new laptop today and download what I need for this to work. Umm... Can some1 direct me to exactly what I need?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster12979 View Post
    I'm even more confused now. I'm going to buy a new laptop today and download what I need for this to work. Umm... Can some1 direct me to exactly what I need?
    Just download the following and install with QuickInstall.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 02/04/2010 at 12:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions