Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I will start

home: dlink 655, drains @ 11%/hr
    work: unknown, drains @ 2%/hr

also @ home there are 8 other networks my phone sees, not sure if that plays a part or not

edit: wrt54g w/ dd-wrt @ home, <3%/hr
    Last edited by flyboy1100; 02/02/2010 at 09:44 PM.
    My linksys is about 1.5%

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    do u have weak signal one place or the other? weak cellphone signal leads to higher battery drain. 1 bar will drain faster than 4 bars
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    5 in both locations, if I turn off wifi drain is 1.3% in both locations

this thread is to try and find out if there is a correlation between different routers and battery drain
    Hmm... I also have a DLINK 655 and also have more than 10% drain per hour with WIFI on. I noticed this after the 1.3.5 update, and have left it off since. Coincidence??
  6.    #6  
    what firmware? I am running 1.33beta
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken02 View Post
    Hmm... I also have a DLINK 655 and also have more than 10% drain per hour with WIFI on. I noticed this after the 1.3.5 update, and have left it off since. Coincidence??
    Netgear wpn824 --- ~19% drain per hour

Started with 1.3.5
    Netgear WPN824 Drain=34.49%
  9. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    D-LINK DIR-615...18-20%/hour....3-4% with wi-fi off.
    I don't think you can really say whether or not one router causes more drain than another router until you eliminate other effects on battery drain, such as how many emails you are getting (more at work vs. at home?) or how your signal strength is (5 bars at work might be slightly more or less than 5 bars at home)--maybe look at the numerical reading by using one of the ## codes in the phone app, etc.
    Also, how many apps might you have open at work vs. at home?

I personally see more drain at work (Buffalo Wireless G at home and Netgear Wireless G at work), but then again, I'm getting A LOT of emails during the day.
  11.    #11  
    in my case, I use my phone the same way @ work as I do @ home so my usage isn't different. But the amount of battery drain @ idle is 5x more. The only thing I can attribute it to is the router or other amounts of networks around mine @ home. The very bizarre thing is it started a few weeks after 1.3.5.1 dropped and I even doctored my phone twice. The only thing that helps is turning off wifi because it is constantly on @ home vs. @ work
    i'm using a Trendnet and it's about 1.5% drain/hour
    While connected to my D-Link DIR-655, drain is around 18% per hour after updating to 1.3.5.1. I stopped using Wifi--forgetting to disable it results in a dead battery over night. And if my alarm doesn't function, I'm late for work. Thanks Palm.
    I have a linksys WRT54G running tomato. And while i cannot comment on battery drain, other than batt life is good at home, i can comment on a particular issue which may cause battery drain.

When they first released remote play for the PS3 the PS3 would turn on after so much time passed for no reason. Turns out the router was checking to see if the same MAC was assigned to that line. I fixed this by running tomato. Both factory firmware and dd-wrt would cause the same issue.

Hope this helps someone.

p.s. tomato and dd-wrt are custom firmwares for linksys and onther routers.
    i have a belkin wireless g plus router and i only lose maybe 1% or so an hour . its an old wireless router too.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
    in my case, I use my phone the same way @ work as I do @ home so my usage isn't different. But the amount of battery drain @ idle is 5x more. The only thing I can attribute it to is the router or other amounts of networks around mine @ home. The very bizarre thing is it started a few weeks after 1.3.5.1 dropped and I even doctored my phone twice. The only thing that helps is turning off wifi because it is constantly on @ home vs. @ work
    Any difference in encryption between the two routers? That might be another source of drain. You bring up a good point, though. I need to buy a new router for home and do want to get one that is known to have the least amount of drain on the Pre!
    I actually noticed a lot of drain today at work while my Pre was on wifi (before I noticed this thread) and turned wifi off. It drained at a slightly lower rate...
    Dlink DIR-628

Wifi on : 5% dph
    Wifi off : 1.5% dph

was 1.5 dph before 1.3.5.1 patch
    Netgear WGR614 v7 - 3%/hr minimal use. [ed] based on 6 hours running Battery Monitor.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    Any difference in encryption between the two routers? That might be another source of drain. You bring up a good point, though. I need to buy a new router for home and do want to get one that is known to have the least amount of drain on the Pre!
    I actually noticed a lot of drain today at work while my Pre was on wifi (before I noticed this thread) and turned wifi off. It drained at a slightly lower rate...
    wpa2 @ home, none @ work. i tried disabling wpa2 completely @ home and it made no difference.

just for kicks i just enabled wifi and completely disabled my phone leaving only wifi on and the drain is still 11%/hr so it is either my router, or all the surrounding networks my phone is seeing.

I do have a different router i could try at home, but it is setup as a bridge w/ my tv and tivo hooked up to it so i don't have to buy multiple wifi adapters, and i don't really want to go thru the trouble of reconfiguring, i might try to save the settings and see what happens i guess.
    Has anyone contacted Palm about this issue?

I ask because there were a slew of threads after the release of 1.3.5 related to WiFi and wireless-N routers.

There's clearly an issue, but there doesn't appear to be anything anyone here can do about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast