Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    if something is messed up with wifi maybe try the interactive tests you can do on your phone to check it out for any issues . just go into device info app and swipe down top menu on left and do the interactive tests and quick tests also if you want to check out the hardware under the hood.
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 02/02/2010 at 09:05 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Found this thread a short while ago, and currently running a 2 hour test on my phone. The main router is a D-Link DIR-615, with WPA encryption enabled. Ran a 1 hour test on it, with only battery monitor open, location of the phone unchanged, both within a 2 hour span, routers 5 feet from each other, and got:

D-Link DIR-615
    WPA enabled
    5 second interval
    6.5% drain per hour
    55min runtime

USR 8054
    No encryption
    5 second interval
    3.3% drain per hour
    55 min runtime
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 02/02/2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
    I will start

home: dlink 655, drains @ 11%/hr
    work: unknown, drains @ 2%/hr

also @ home there are 8 other networks my phone sees, not sure if that plays a part or not
    I haven't really looked at it. I can't believe there are such differences in battery drain! I wonder why that happens...
  4.    #24  
    just got my wrt54g running dd-wrt up and running to see if that makes it better or now. i have wpa2 enabled

EDIT: ok, only been running for 20min, but the Dlink would be showing a steady 10-11% (and not change or decrease after even 5hours)

the wrt54g w/ dd-wrt started at 6% and is down to 3%, wifi, data, phone ON.

so in my case it definetly looks like a router issue. damn
    Last edited by flyboy1100; 02/02/2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Obviously, there is a difference between using different routers. Or, using encryption kills the battery faster.
  6.    #26  
    check my last post, i just edited.

it appears with the dlink 655 w/ wpa2 something is not functioning correctly. because the drain with the wrt54g is 1/4 the drain with the same settings.
    dlink 825 here and I was wondering why my Pre's battery would be dead since the 1.3.5.1 update. Now I know. Hopefully, Palm fixes this in the 1.4 update...
  8.    #28  
    for those of you with a dlink 655 and downgraded to 1.3 firmware, you can upgrade back to 1.21 firmware by following this
    DIR-655 Firmware Downgrade 1.3xNA >> 1.3xRU IPTV Work

i am testing v1.21 wifi now with the pre, i am hoping it is better, but i am not sure if it will be, the wrt54g was working great too bad i can't reverse my router roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by acc3d View Post
    While connected to my D-Link DIR-655, drain is around 18% per hour after updating to 1.3.5.1. I stopped using Wifi--forgetting to disable it results in a dead battery over night. And if my alarm doesn't function, I'm late for work. Thanks Palm.
    Really so you never thought about... I don't know... Throwing it on a charger before you go to sleep? More your fault than palms.
  10.    #30  
    so far v1.21 on my 655 is marginally better, currently at 9.5%/hr after 30min, better than 11% but still unacceptable.

might need to redo my network as this isn't looking completely like a palm problem. anyone know of a cheap access point, i could just disable the wireless on my 655 and then use an access point instead i suppose.

really not sure where to place the blame on this one atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Really so you never thought about... I don't know... Throwing it on a charger before you go to sleep? More your fault than palms.
    No, I think one can blame Palm if the problem started after an update, and everything was fine before. Since 1.3.5, my battery life has been much worse than before, with no other changes than the update.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    No, I think one can blame Palm if the problem started after an update, and everything was fine before. Since 1.3.5, my battery life has been much worse than before, with no other changes than the update.
    i can agree with this, i was drawing around 2.5%/hr until 1.3.5 leaving wifi on. so i am going to place my blame on palm too
    i have a D-Link dir-615 firmware 3.01 with wep key and i maybe lose 1% per hour I only turn off wifi when i leave the house. dont know if this is a good router but i have had a good experience with it. Dont know if anyone has noticed when I use battery monitor app my battery drains about 3X faster
    Last edited by anthonystu; 02/03/2010 at 12:14 AM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonystu View Post
    i have a D-Link dir-615 firmware 3.01 with wep key and i maybe lose 1% per hour I only turn off wifi when i leave the house. dont know if this is a good router but i have had a good experience with it. Dont know if anyone has noticed when I use battery monitor app my battery drains about 3X faster
    i have it set to poll every 5min or 10min, it makes it more realistic
    netgear wireless N and and while I have no clue on drain it's gotta be vefy very min has I have never had a problem and wifi is always on,,,

my job has a apple airport and my service there is barely 1 bar and it seems to help conserve drain as well but with lack of service it does go faster than at my home
    I have the Dlink 655 with WPA/WPA2 enabled. Also, have the Palm pre with no patches, themes. Prior to 1.3.5(.1). Wifi caused no excessive battery drain, in fact things were better with wifi on, due to poor signal in my house. Since the Upgrade, I have had significant battery drain issues, upwards of 20% drop per hour with wifi on. I have upgraded to 1.33 Firmware on the Dlink, and it doesn't help.

Nothing else in my Pre or Home network configurations have changed. I am placing this squarely on the 1.3.5(.1) upgrade, and hope it gets addressed in 1.4.
    Just bought D-Link 655 router a few days ago and suddenly when using wifi my battery is draining about 20% per hour. With wifi off it's around 2-3% per hour. Before I got the D-Link I had a Linksys wireless G router and had no battery drain problems. Someone at Palm needs to look into this because there is an obvious issue with the Pre's wifi and certain wireless routers.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I can't speak to battery drain at this point, but I can say that after 1.4 I had to change my encryption from WPA2 with a passphrase back to WEP. I couldn't seem to access anything over wifi - even the router homepage. Tried forgetting the network and re-entering the passphrase and it connected fine, but still no data. Changed to 128 bit Hex WEP and then it started to work OK again. I've heard of some others who have had problems with the wireless security type since 1.4. Maybe something work looking into?
    I have a Netgear Wireless-N DGN2000 (ADSL modem and router) set to WPA/WPA2 and my battery drain at home is about 1.5-2% per hour.
  20. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Running 1.4 with a Linksys WRT110 using WPA2, I have less than 1% drain per hour.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12