Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I mean, Palm has just had the worst advertising for the Palm Pre, first with their own commercials with the creepy borg lady and now Verizon's attempt...

This is already being discussed here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ommercial.html

For the record, I think that these commercials are great.
    Wow, makes me feel kinda girly for having a pre. Always thought the pixi with the name and form factor was more suited towards the "moms"
    Well it is Valentine's Day coming up....
    The sticky one is dumb in my not so humble opinion. The valentine one is kinda cheesy too.

I'm glad they got some ads out there (haven't seen any on local TV in Tucson yet but saw one on Oxygen last night).
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster12979 View Post
    Wow, makes me feel kinda girly for having a pre. Always thought the pixi with the name and form factor was more suited towards the "moms"
    It is targeted advertising. I wouldn't be surprised if they have one for games (#2 gaming phone out there atm) and one for business needs. It just happens that V-Day is around the corner.

And for the record, and a bit off topic, but I have always hated VDay, with or without a GF.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Yea they are silly, but they work and better then nothing! Also isn't there a shirt that says "Real Men Wear Pink" we could make one that says "Real Men Use A Palm Pixi"
    Palm's biggest problem is marketing. They need to come up with simple but informative adds. For example, show someone playing assasins creed and then switching to reply an incoming email by copying text from sms while switching the pandora music, with a weather notification below while the gps navigation is still giving audio directions.... That's just me
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    Palm's biggest problem is marketing. They need to come up with simple but informative adds. For example, show someone playing assasins creed and then switching to reply an incoming email by copying text from sms while switching the pandora music, with a weather notification below while the gps navigation is still giving audio directions.... That's just me
    I agree, but you have to be careful. Who is that add targeting? Also who is going to drop $250 on a new phone? Advertising companies are very specific about their targets.

iPhone adds target young professional and work the cool factor. Palm is not going to beat Apple in cool factor and android really hit the guy demographic. So VZW is going to push for women who tend to be busy (mom's fall into this catagory). Business men and women are pretty well entrenched in their love of BB, so that is going to be harder to sell.

I think the next series of adds you will see are targeting the social networker. I think palm will show off their multitasking with games, like you mentioned, but work in texting, facebook and twitter. I think that is the other big demographic the Pre will work well in.

Once more business/professional apps hit the Pre I think you will start seeing it sold that way too. It might also wait until WebOS 2.0 and the Pre 2.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I think the next series of adds you will see are targeting the social networker. I think palm will show off their multitasking with games, like you mentioned, but work in texting, facebook and twitter. I think that is the other big demographic the Pre will work well in.
    Not without a facebook app that doesn't suck.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Not any worse than that freaky chick on Sprint's commercials..
    I think it's funny, I've been trying to convince my wife to get a Pre for the very reason in the "post it note" commercial.
    Guys and gals, the Pre and Pixi are phones for everyone including but not limited to MILFs, carnies, metrosexuals, guys who wear pink dress shirts (me), women that like phones and business men that know business.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    The commercials are fine. Valentines day is coming up and Ruby has made not secret about the fact that they are marketing women. You could see from the very first set of Palm commercials that came out. Plus he said pretty much said so during his CES interview. They have a strategy and they are sticking to it.
    They should make a Pre commercial showing how guys that carry them are sexual Tyrannosaurus', just like me.
    The proof will be in the pudding, of course. If these ads help sell many more webOS devices and create a more lucrative market for webOS development, then I don't care how they portray the Pre--feminine or otherwise. Not being an Apple fan, I don't buy my gadgets as status symbols.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Guys and gals, the Pre and Pixi are phones for everyone including but not limited to MILFs, carnies, metrosexuals, guys who wear pink dress shirts (me), women that like phones and business men that know business.
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that last part. The Pre is certainly not for businesspeople, otherwise it would be advertised as such and probably would be selling a whole lot better. It doesn't stand up to any of Palm's previously released products in terms of reliability, speed, durability, or efficiency and that has alienated the business portion of Palm's user base. So now it's basically a phone that tries to do everything, but doesn't excel at any one thing in particular, except for multitasking and breaking.

Speaking of breaking, Palm's warranty, when there is a manufacturing defect which is no fault of the user, is to make you wait with a broken phone that can't make or answer calls while they ship you a previously broken phone, coined a "refurb." Had to learn that one the hard way. To summarize, no, this isn't a phone "business men who know business" would ever put up with, due to its lack of reliability, among other things. Mothers, maybe.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    just saw vzw's new map commercial and it was targeting valentines day too. it's just that time of the year.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I just saw the calendar gal on Hannity on the Fox News Channel so it looks like they aren't limiting the mommy ads to daytime TV. I'm not sure what this has to do with Valentine's day. Are men supposed to buy phones for their wives for Valentine's day?
    Hey, it's better than the commercials that imply that you're a tool unless you buy your wife/girlfriend a Lexus with a big red bow on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    Hey, it's better than the commercials that imply that you're a tool unless you buy your wife/girlfriend a Lexus with a big red bow on it.
    That, or all the commercials telling guys they are supposed to go out and buy their wife/girlfriend a big *** diamond ring. At least the phone and car are functional. It certainly isn't a new concept to advertise to guys, to buy X for Vday for the little miss at home.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast