Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I wanted to share my personal experience with the Memory Critical, too many cards open issue. This is what has happened to me. My phone was having this issue a lot and i mean a lot, like doing a luna restart 4 or 5 times a day. I removed all my tweaks just for the heck of it and reinstalled them. I started running jstop all the time just left it running in the back ground while I do all my normal stuff. I have not received the message once in 5 days since i started leaving jstop open all the time. Now I have been monitoring the MB being used and once it got up in the 40's so I held the down my power button to get the luna restart and when the menu popped-up, it plummeted to the teens. I wanted to share this and also I do have lots of tweaks and homebrew apps installed, running 1.3.5.1. Nothing to complain about I love my pre. Just wantesd to share
    So your saying just run JStop all the time? Also what programs are you running? I only get To Many Cards when trying to either play Sims 3 or NFL2010.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I would sometimes get it when it appeared I had nothing open at all. I would go to open something and boom error and nothing will be open. since leaving jstop open all the time I have gotten 0 of the errors
    Yeah I don't have that problem unless I'm trying to open Sims or NFL. There won't be anything open but I know there is a memory leak and the games are just to memory hungry to open. I use JStop and it sometimes free enough memory but not always.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    okay I got the error again last night but what i find strange, my memory being used according to Jstop was at 20mb really low and everything has been working fine before, I had two web browser windows open and was trying to open photos
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    okay I got the error again last night but what i find strange, my memory being used according to Jstop was at 20mb really low and everything has been working fine before, I had two web browser windows open and was trying to open photos
    Everyone has to realize that JSTOP just reports memory usage for Java applications, it does not report on memory as a whole for the phone. There are lots of other things going on in your Pre than just running those apps.

What I think we need is a good memory logger application -- something that will log what is going on. Too many times we hear (and I have said) "I was just doing this or that", but we have to take our words for it, it would be nice to see how memory was actually allocated at that time.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Everyone has to realize that JSTOP just reports memory usage for Java applications, it does not report on memory as a whole for the phone. There are lots of other things going on in your Pre than just running those apps.

What I think we need is a good memory logger application -- something that will log what is going on. Too many times we hear (and I have said) "I was just doing this or that", but we have to take our words for it, it would be nice to see how memory was actually allocated at that time.
    I agree I wanna see all the memory usage
    I agree... I need a task manager type app to kill unwanted process \ taking up memory.. I would also like to know which apps, update randomly... installed 'People' from the App store, and it randomly checks for updates.... I get Too Many Cards for many apps. NFSU, Sudoku etc..

I ready another post that stated that clearing out messages in the SMS \ Chat application has fixed issue too ? Does anyone know if it consumes memory by default w\o launching card?
    i just run jstop and collect garbage javascript heap before i start Assassins Creed (since thats the only game i ever get too many cards with.
    works for me.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Everyone I believe I have found the main problem going on with my pre, I had waited to install The last tweak on my phone that I thought might be a problem. I installed it last night and got the error like 4 times today and uninstalled it and haven't had it again since. It was the smartflex cpu patch. I am gonna try the cpu scaling one instead.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Ok so an update following my last post. This is not the reason I have been getting the error. I have uninstalled all my mods/tweaks whatever you wanna call them and still I got the error this morning. it apparently cleared up because I haven't gotten it again and haven't done a restart of luna or anything. I am not sure what to do at this point is anyone having this happen as much as me or is my PRE just got bad memory or something
    I've been getting the "too many cards" error a LOT lately and came across an interesting tidbit yesterday on the train. I didn't have any cards open and went to play "Assassin's Creed" to pass the time on the commute. I got the error, so I ran Jstop and still got the error. Then I performed a Luna restart and even this didn't resolve the issue. I figured I'd try and restart Java through the Luna Manager so see what happens. When I tried, I got the message that the Package Manager service was not running. Why in the world would this be off? I had to restart the phone - which restarted the service - which fixed the issue.

Could the Package Manager service actually be the main culprit when the "too many cards" error comes up? Has anyone else tried to restart Java when they encounter this error to see if it gives the message that the Package Manager service is not running?

Just wondering
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I've been getting the "too many cards" error a LOT lately and came across an interesting tidbit yesterday on the train. I didn't have any cards open and went to play "Assassin's Creed" to pass the time on the commute. I got the error, so I ran Jstop and still got the error. Then I performed a Luna restart and even this didn't resolve the issue. I figured I'd try and restart Java through the Luna Manager so see what happens. When I tried, I got the message that the Package Manager service was not running. Why in the world would this be off? I had to restart the phone - which restarted the service - which fixed the issue.

Could the Package Manager service actually be the main culprit when the "too many cards" error comes up? Has anyone else tried to restart Java when they encounter this error to see if it gives the message that the Package Manager service is not running?

Just wondering
    I am wondering the same thing because sometimes it seams a luna restart doesn't fix it and even if it does it won't for long. I wonder about preware but I have no clue who to tell about this that manages preware...I did a restart last night full restart not just luna or java and it hasn't popped up since....not sure whats up is it preware or tweaks or what.
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    I am wondering the same thing because sometimes it seams a luna restart doesn't fix it and even if it does it won't for long. I wonder about preware but I have no clue who to tell about this that manages preware...I did a restart last night full restart not just luna or java and it hasn't popped up since....not sure whats up is it preware or tweaks or what.
    Have a look in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists and see if there is any unusually large files there. If there is, delete them (they are rebuilt when you hit "Update Feeds" in Preware).

It seems there are some rare cases where one of the non-preware.org feeds returns data continuously, causing a huge file which Preware then reads in and runs out of memory.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The Package Manager Service does absolutely nothing in the background, and uses no significant memory or cpu (other than a single Java thread needed to respond when Preware starts) unless Preware is running. As soon as Preware is closed, it should go back to being dormant.

Check for large list files as requested in my previous post.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    This hasn't gotten alot better for me but I have just been doing full restarts instead of Luna restarts and it is happening a little less. Also since I use my phone as an alarm clock I was concerned since I had over slept twice due to the error. So luckily I saw that someone released an auto reboot app and I have been using it and the issue is seems to happen less and hasn't disturbed my alarm soo that is the latest
    I don't run many apps. But I have email open all the time and have tons of items. If I open an attachment of any type, I will definitely get the Too Many Cards error. Full restart.

Another culprit is when I have the weather channel web browser open to see radar with only my email open. T he next time I want to open another web browser, even after closing the weather channel card, results in the Too Many Cards error. Full restart again.

So long as I stick with email without opening attachments, I can text and run some very basic apps no problem for weeks on end. There is clearly a problem with memory management.

Will Palm please address this?
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
    I don't run many apps. But I have email open all the time and have tons of items. If I open an attachment of any type, I will definitely get the Too Many Cards error. Full restart.

Another culprit is when I have the weather channel web browser open to see radar with only my email open. T he next time I want to open another web browser, even after closing the weather channel card, results in the Too Many Cards error. Full restart again.

So long as I stick with email without opening attachments, I can text and run some very basic apps no problem for weeks on end. There is clearly a problem with memory management.

Will Palm please address this?
    I agree we need a fix this is bad.... I find it hard to believe I am maxing out my memory when I don't have anything open really. Sometimes I have nothing open and I get it.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Package Manager Service does absolutely nothing in the background, and uses no significant memory or cpu (other than a single Java thread needed to respond when Preware starts) unless Preware is running. As soon as Preware is closed, it should go back to being dormant.

Check for large list files as requested in my previous post.

-- Rod
    rwhitby,
    Could Preware or the Package Manager Service do a cleanup before it goes dormant? I would think a little Garbage Collection would be good for this sort of thing when a rouge feed goes berserk. Obviously if Preware closes, a connection to a feed should end and any insanely large feeds should be flagged.

Either that or a timeout should be created on the socket when reading in any particular feed. This would allow you to load preware relatively quickly even if one feed is slow/non-responsive/or continuously sending data. No socket should be open for more than 30-45 seconds to read a feed.
    To rwitby:

Thank you for your post!!!
    I had been tortured by the too many cards error for 2 days!

My situation was :

However I reset and doctored the Pre, it automatically started to run something that I could not know. And within minutes, many cards error appeared.

After seeing your email, I doctored the pre (again), and immediately turn on the airplane mode (very important, because my pre seemed to be always continually downloading something). i discovered that there was a 1G file size in that directory . I used the quickinstall to connect the pre and delete the whole directory. Now my pre comes back.

Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast