Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Don't feel like paying another ten bucks a month for turn by turn navi...does anyone know if its possible to get Sprint Navigation on the Verizon Pre Plus?
    so you will just steal it instead... What a loser
    well if you don't wanna pay extra for it just switch to sprint. It's all included. And you also can use gps not only for navigation like it is in the verizon pre version and you also can sent mms with wifi enabled unlike in the verizon version. So ya swictch and you get more for less money. And fully upgrades on a phone every year instaed every 2 years. So ya it's pretty simple and a easy choice. Free mobile to anyone minutes you can call anyone on any cellphone provider for free whenever you want to. Without having an unlimited plan and you can use free phone as a modem as well. Wow it just blows your verizon away. Tv gps free any mobile free phone as a modem free everything that verizon charges for is included and free and you get the same service since sprint roams in verizon. So ya. Smart choice to switch an sprint doesn't lock phone down like verizon does and the 3g on sprint is slightly faster and also 4g already available and also visual voicemail is free and verizon charges 3 bucks for it. Well just so an easy choice. Sprint navigation I get when you switch so easy is that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    so you will just steal it instead... What a loser
    Let's get rid of that attitude right now. Not needed in these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeebs View Post
    Don't feel like paying another ten bucks a month for turn by turn navi...does anyone know if its possible to get Sprint Navigation on the Verizon Pre Plus?
    I have to say, unless there is a network issue that makes you need to stick with Verizon, switching to Sprint is a no-brainer. I've been with Sprint for 12 years and have never had a problem with either their service or their CS. True, there have been CS problems for many in the past, but I would say that the general consensus is that these issues are pretty much resolved. Search the forums to get an idea of Sprint's performance and coverage.
    True, the Pre Plus is an upgrade from the Pre, but I would say the scales still tip in favor of the OG Pre on Sprint's network. Plans are MUCH less expensive than Verizon. You get Sprint Nav for no charge. With aonic working on MyTether, you are able to tether as well, without paying for the Hotspot app. Not sure if his app will work on Verizon, but he is working on an app to mirror exactly what the V app does.
    dante501 has it right. Overall I'd have to say that the Pre on Sprint makes so much more sense than the Plus on Verizon. Not too sure about his visual voicemail comment. I'm pretty sure that functionality isn't available on Sprint, but I could be wrong. There could be "a patch for that." =) Either way, do the math and ask yourself why exactly you want the Plus and Verizon. For me, it was no contest.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    ^ Sprint offers Visual Voicemail on the Samsung Instinct, but not the Palm Pre. That's one of the things I miss most about my Instinct.

Anyway, I also suggest switching to Sprint. Are you almost nearing the end of your contract with Verizon?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Let's get rid of that attitude right now. Not needed in these forums.
    Why? Talking about stealing any app that would create money for dev is shamed on these boards(even the biggest **** dev know EA). But stealing an app that sprint pays for is no biggy until they up our rates(then people will complain) because verizon cheapo's don't want to pay $10 for turn by turn..
    if you wanna talk about stealing an app lets talk about how many people are running mobile hot spot on the sprint pre. Wouldn't that be considered stealing as well. I think some of the canadian users ripped the sprint nav ipk from the webOS doctor awhile back. Pretty sure there was an article about it as well back in July or August. Hope this helps in ur search.
    If I was single sprint would be best for me, but with 5 lines of service on Verizon it is not cost effective for me to switch providers for the 30 a month that I would be saving. I would spent close to $1000 just in phones to make the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Why? Talking about stealing any app that would create money for dev is shamed on these boards(even the biggest **** dev know EA). But stealing an app that sprint pays for is no biggy until they up our rates(then people will complain) because verizon cheapo's don't want to pay $10 for turn by turn..
    Not to mention it won't work. It'll be no different than how things were using Win Mobile. You could get the actual TeleNav app that the Sprint Nav is based on. If you used it...after like 5-10 days it timed out and wanted 10 a month.
    Sprint Nav actually uses your login info from sprint to communicate.
    I understand that the Sprint Nav application will not run on your Pre+ without a valid subscription. I have a subscription to Telenav on my unlocked Treo 680 with AT&T that I would like to migrate to the Pre Plus with Verizon.

Any thoughts on how this legal migration could be done?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear50 View Post
    if you wanna talk about stealing an app lets talk about how many people are running mobile hot spot on the sprint pre. Wouldn't that be considered stealing as well. I think some of the canadian users ripped the sprint nav ipk from the webOS doctor awhile back. Pretty sure there was an article about it as well back in July or August. Hope this helps on ur search.
    The mobile hot spot app was developed by Palm as a free app. Sprint blocks it from the app catalog feed, Verzion wants to make money off it so they allow it and charge you. The latest version of the app is Verizon specific but once again its a free app and if sprint wanted us to tether for a cost we would see it pop up in the app catalog. So no we are not stealing anything we are using an app blocked by our carrier.
    The mobile hot spot app was developed by Palm as a free app. Sprint blocks it from the app catalog feed, Verzion wants to make money off it so they allow it and charge you. The latest version of the app is Verizon specific but once again its a free app and if sprint wanted us to tether for a cost we would see it pop up in the app catalog. So no we are not stealing anything we are us*ing an app blocked by our carrier.
    an app developed by palm for verizon. Exclusivity is exclusivity and if verizon chooses to charge for it, its their business. The fact is sprint palm pre users don't have access to the hot spot app without ripping the verizon exlusive hot spot app. An app that verizon chooses to charge for. How is that not stealing in any way?
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I do think there's a difference between using Mobile Hot Spot on Sprint and using Sprint Navigation on Verizon.

If you're on Verizon, you have the option to get turn-by-turn navigation.

If you're on Sprint, you DON'T have the option to get a WiFi hotspot app...at any price.

I'm betting many folks who are "stealing" Mobile Hot Spot would pay Sprint, if the option were there.

Now, there's no question that there are folks out there that will do almost anything for a "free lunch" but, I don't think everyone's that way.
    Your feelings about zeeebs wanting to "steal" Sprint Nav is not what I have a problem with, but your way of expressing it is. I agree, stealing an app from the catalog that a developer put there is completely wrong in my opinion. Unless the app is free, consumers should absolutely pay for the app if they want to use it.
    I don't think getting Sprint Nav to work on the Pre Plus would fall into this same catagory as stealing apps from developers. Sprint Nav is a service that Sprint provides at no charge to Sprint users, so getting it to work on a Plus doesn't take anything away from Sprint in terms of revenue. Unless of course having Sprint Nav is the difference between switching to Sprint and staying with Verizon, which I think would be rarely the case. I am sure that there will be someone out there that will figure out a way to do this, just like the mobile hotspot for Verizon has been hacked.
    I'm a bit interested in this subject though. I'd like to know what other opinions are out there about getting Sprint Nav to work on Verizon. Is it stealing and wrong? Is it acceptable? Just a case of getting one service to work on another carrier? That might be a pretty interesting poll question, since we are going to start seeing a lot of these situations coming up with the pre on multiple carriers.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    There is something super ironic and hilarious about someone saying they chose Verizon but are too cheap to pay $10 more for something free on Sprint.

Seriously... I can't stop laughing.

I have always just assumed that when someone tells me they are on Verizon, they either A) Have a company phone or B) Make enough money to not care.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear50 View Post
    an app developed by palm for verizon. Exclusivity is exclusivity and if verizon chooses to charge for it, its their business. The fact is sprint palm pre users don't have access to the hot spot app without ripping the verizon exlusive hot spot app. An app that verizon chooses to charge for. How is that not stealing in any way?
    Palm developed the app for webos not Verizon you can bet it will get released to other carriers if they allow it.

Well lets see the 1.0.3(ALL) version which is the only one that works on the sprint pre was downloaded from the palm feed created to work on all webos devices. After the opps of it getting out on sprint pres palm has since changed it to Verizon specific and it will not install on a sprint pre. So we did not steal the Verizon version we are using the version that palm created to work on all webos phone.
    mobile hotspot is available in Projectappetite.com send the app to your mobile number via sms

update... its there but wont allow me to install it ... it worked before... meh.. i dont use it or need it anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeebs View Post
    This is the thread you're looking for zeeebs: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-bell-pre.html
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Your feelings about zeeebs wanting to "steal" Sprint Nav is not what I have a problem with, but your way of expressing it is. I agree, stealing an app from the catalog that a developer put there is completely wrong in my opinion. Unless the app is free, consumers should absolutely pay for the app if they want to use it.
    I don't think getting Sprint Nav to work on the Pre Plus would fall into this same catagory as stealing apps from developers. Sprint Nav is a service that Sprint provides at no charge to Sprint users, so getting it to work on a Plus doesn't take anything away from Sprint in terms of revenue. Unless of course having Sprint Nav is the difference between switching to Sprint and staying with Verizon, which I think would be rarely the case. I am sure that there will be someone out there that will figure out a way to do this, just like the mobile hotspot for Verizon has been hacked.
    I'm a bit interested in this subject though. I'd like to know what other opinions are out there about getting Sprint Nav to work on Verizon. Is it stealing and wrong? Is it acceptable? Just a case of getting one service to work on another carrier? That might be a pretty interesting poll question, since we are going to start seeing a lot of these situations coming up with the pre on multiple carriers.
    Telenav charges sprint for the the use of Sprint Nav. Not sure how whether it is per user, flat rate w/e but they do not get it for free. It use to be $9.99 a month if you did not have an everything plan.

The Hot Spot App was downloaded from a palm feed and installed no hacking was required. Now to get the 1.0.6 version working yes some hacking would be needed to get it working.

Sprint has struck a deal with telenav and just included the cost into you plan price. Allowing other carrier user to use service directly removes revenue from sprint. Using the mobile hot spot app on a sprint pre does not hurt Verizon because you are using Sprints bandwidth and towers not Verizon's plus the app is provided by palm free of charge and limited by the carrier not palm. I sure the only reason palm put the hammer down on 1.0.6 was because Sprint would not be to happy about it.

The pre+ users have the option of google maps or paying Big Red. We have no option provided by Sprint to use tethering so we use the Palm Mobile Hot Spot App.
    Telenav charges sprint for the the use of Sprint Nav. Not sure how whether it is per user, flat rate w/e but they do not get it for free. It use to be $9.99 a month if you did not have an everything plan.

The Hot Spot App was downloaded from a palm feed and installed no hacking was required. Now to get the 1.0.6 version working yes some hacking would be needed to get it working.

Sprint has struck a deal with telenav and just included the cost into you plan price. Allowing other carrier user to use service directly removes revenue from sprint. Using the mobile hot spot app on a sprint pre does not hurt Verizon because you are using Sprints bandwidth and towers not Verizon's plus the app is provided by palm free of charge and limited by the carrier not palm. I sure the only reason palm put the hammer down on 1.0.6 was because Sprint would not be to happy about it.

The pre+ users have the option of google maps or paying Big Red. We have no option provided by Sprint to use tethering so we use the Palm Mobile Hot Spot App.
    It could be used by other carriers but its not. Its only made available to Verizon customers as a legal option. I'm sure that a tethering plan option is something customers look at while looking for a carrier and phone and in that sense it is taking away from Verizon revenue. Would you pay $40 a month or just download the same app off of some forum for free and not have to deal with the monthly charge. As long as its only available on one carrier here in the US you have to look at it as stealing revenue from a company and that by definition is stealing to me. For this reason I don't care if a Verizon user uses the Sprint Nav app which the Bell users have taken advantage of already without this much adversity. I am on Sprint i use mobile hot spot and I have also edited my prl so I am roaming on Alltel's 3g network 24/7 since I don't have 3g in my area. Its the wrong thing to do, but I really don't care and I'm sure nobody is gonna jump down my back like some did with the OP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast