Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    So, to try get back to the meat of the topic (as I see it):

If not the Sprint App, is there a 3rd party/homebrew app that does turn-by-turn navi?

I don't mind paying a one-time fee, and then not having to pay montly dues to Verizon or anyone else - AND doing it legitimately!

russ
    You can buy a subscription to Telenav for $10 per month than run the Sprint Nav application on your Pre. You would get a very nice turn-by-turn GPS application. This seems like a legitimate setup, but it does require the monthly fee. I have found that the $10 per month fee is similar in cost to one-time buys of TomTom SW and then having to buy their upgrades.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Well, the on topic part is that this is easily done. You can use Sprint Nav on Bell, Vz and even GSM Pres (although not so useful if you are in Europe because there are no maps).

It should be noted that stealing and unlicensed use are not the same. I can't steal the Sprint Nav app because I am only using a copy. Piracy is a more well understood term, but that may or may not be accurate either. If I made a copy of a program/app that I don't have license to use, then it's piracy. However, there is some stipulation about the value of the app determining whether or not it's theft/piracy. At least in Canada, there was a big thing about "grey market" satellite dishes where people were buying them from the US and getting free satellite TV. For the longest time, it was not something you could get charged for, because the service was not offered in Canada - in other words, you were not taking income from the Dish network... Not sure if that applies here or not.

Either way, I don't use Nav enough to warrant $10 a month (although maybe I'd use pay-per-use) but I would pay a one shot deal to get the app. I'm on Bell. I can't get turn by turn Nav on my phone... So I put the Sprint one on. Am I stealing? Hmm. Maybe. I can't switch to Sprint though, and I am not using their bandwidth, nor is Sprint incurring more cost or losing revenue by me using it, so I can live with it.

Now if Telenav offered a one shot "buy the app for $50" I would shell out the cash. But I have a Garmin GPS, and I certainly am not going to pay $120 a year for something I use once every month or two. And TeleNav probably can't meter the usage to allow only a "discounted" access for certain users. So, I'll wear the eye patch and put a parrot on my shoulder. Whatever. There are worse evils in life...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    Well, the on topic part is that this is easily done. You can use Sprint Nav on Bell, Vz and even GSM Pres (although not so useful if you are in Europe because there are no maps).

It should be noted that stealing and unlicensed use are not the same. I can't steal the Sprint Nav app because I am only using a copy. Piracy is a more well understood term, but that may or may not be accurate either. If I made a copy of a program/app that I don't have license to use, then it's piracy. However, there is some stipulation about the value of the app determining whether or not it's theft/piracy. At least in Canada, there was a big thing about "grey market" satellite dishes where people were buying them from the US and getting free satellite TV. For the longest time, it was not something you could get charged for, because the service was not offered in Canada - in other words, you were not taking income from the Dish network... Not sure if that applies here or not.

Either way, I don't use Nav enough to warrant $10 a month (although maybe I'd use pay-per-use) but I would pay a one shot deal to get the app. I'm on Bell. I can't get turn by turn Nav on my phone... So I put the Sprint one on. Am I stealing? Hmm. Maybe. I can't switch to Sprint though, and I am not using their bandwidth, nor is Sprint incurring more cost or losing revenue by me using it, so I can live with it.

Now if Telenav offered a one shot "buy the app for $50" I would shell out the cash. But I have a Garmin GPS, and I certainly am not going to pay $120 a year for something I use once every month or two. And TeleNav probably can't meter the usage to allow only a "discounted" access for certain users. So, I'll wear the eye patch and put a parrot on my shoulder. Whatever. There are worse evils in life...
    SO with that same outlook pirating paid apps from the app store because paid apps are not available to gsm pre's it's OK right??
    Hi

As a 1-month-veteran on the Pre Plus, I'm amazed at how innacurate the GPS/Google interface is on the Pre Plus.
    Anyone who has used the Verizon / Sprint software - does it do better with that? My GPS location in Google Maps is 150-200 yards off...

russ
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeebs View Post
    does anyone know if its possible to get Sprint Navigation on the Verizon Pre Plus?
    Yes, it's easy:

htt p://for ums.precentral.net/palm-pre/207662-how-get-sprint-firmware-apps-bell-pre.html

Works on my Verizon Palm Pre Plus, however I need to be outside for it work for some reason..
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD004 View Post
    however I need to be outside for it work for some reason..
    Global Positioning System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    ^ Sprint offers Visual Voicemail on the Samsung Instinct, but not the Palm Pre. That's one of the things I miss most about my Instinct.

Anyway, I also suggest switching to Sprint. Are you almost nearing the end of your contract with Verizon?
    I just switched to VZW from sprint after 8 years bc there was no sprint coverage in the house I moved to. But with sprint theres no MHS and they dont have the pre plus, although sprint is like $40 cheaper per month. but VZ coverage is amazing, although the biggest difference is Sprint will operate anything with a 1x data connection, Big Red freaks out and wont do any data transfer on a 1x connection.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123