Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @immaslave4you yes palm pre offers visual voicemail just check out the homebrew apps there is now finally a visual voicemail client out. And there is also google voice. But if you don't have a google voice account you can use the visual voicemail app. It's out in the homebrew apps.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear50 View Post
    It could be used by other carriers but its not. Its only made available to Verizon customers as a legal option. I'm sure that a tethering plan option is something customers look at while looking for a carrier and phone and in that sense it is taking away from Verizon revenue. Would you pay $40 a month or just download the same app off of some forum for free and not have to deal with the monthly charge. As long as its only available on one carrier here in the US you have to look at it as stealing revenue from a company and that by definition is stealing to me. For this reason I don't care if a Verizon user uses the Sprint Nav app which the Bell users have taken advantage of already without this much adversity. I am on Sprint i use mobile hot spot and I have also edited my prl so I am roaming on Alltel's 3g network 24/7 since I don't have 3g in my area. Its the wrong thing to do, but I really don't care and I'm sure nobody is gonna jump down my back like some did with the OP

You want to argue that someone using a free palm created app is stealing from Verizon who did not drop a dime for it to be created, when we could do it before with My Tether. Yet the money Sprint puts out to pay telenav is not stealing when used by people who do not pay for a service plan with Sprint ****ing amazing.

Ya I done with conversation, I never even commented to the OP. My sol argument was that its frown upon pirating normal dev apps but its ok to let it all hang out when it comes screwing the carriers. But we'll all be here *****ing when the rates go up right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    Not to mention it won't work. It'll be no different than how things were using Win Mobile. You could get the actual TeleNav app that the Sprint Nav is based on. If you used it...after like 5-10 days it timed out and wanted 10 a month.
    Sprint Nav actually uses your login info from sprint to communicate.
    hey dude u might wanna check on that. I have a pre + with sprint's turn by turn nav installed and it work, fo' free.

now ethically do i think this ok? well, no but I think it's BS that sprint & droid users get free turn by turn but everyone else has to pay $10/mo

@ the OP there's already a thread on this. just follow the directions on the 1st page, they work
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    You want to argue that someone using a free palm created app is stealing from Verizon who did not drop a dime for it to be created, when we could do it before with My Tether. Yet the money Sprint puts out to pay telenav is not stealing when used by people who do not pay for a service plan with Sprint ****ing amazing.

Ya I done with conversation, I never even commented to the OP. My sol argument was that its frown upon pirating normal dev apps but its ok to let it all hang out when it comes screwing the carriers. But we'll all be here *****ing when the rates go up right!
    You just don't get it. Verizon right now is the only carrier that provides a legal tethering plan and the Pre+ and Pixi+ are the only phone as it stands right now that can download that app directly from the app catalog as it was inteded. My whole argument would be rendered mute if Sprint offered a tethering plan, but we all know that it does not and also prohibits the use of phone tethering in its customer agreement. Is using my tether anymore legal then using the hot spot app? Of course its not. One was just created by Palm and as it stands right now Palm is only making that app available to Verizon customers.

And ur rates going up really?! I doubt it will ever happen but the same argument can be made for using a tethering app on the Sprint network when no such app is supposed to be on the Sprint Pre at this point in time. Its not the app but the services associated with that app that makes the argument. But like I said earlier I'm guilty of using the hot spot app on my Sprint Pre and quite frankly I don't care if Verizon customers choose to use the Sprint Nav or not. So OP go on with your bad self if you got the Sprint Nav working!
    I admit to not having read all the responses but you have Google Maps that has a GPS function even if you don't wanna pay the extra for the Verizon one. My husband has the Pre Plus on Verizon and refuses to pay for their navigation. He's all upset because I pay way less and get way more with my Sprint.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I do think there's a difference between using Mobile Hot Spot on Sprint and using Sprint Navigation on Verizon.

If you're on Verizon, you have the option to get turn-by-turn navigation.

If you're on Sprint, you DON'T have the option to get a WiFi hotspot app...at any price.

I'm betting many folks who are "stealing" Mobile Hot Spot would pay Sprint, if the option were there.

Now, there's no question that there are folks out there that will do almost anything for a "free lunch" but, I don't think everyone's that way.
    I do believe that VZ Navigator has turn-by-turn you just have to pay for it, so that is worse stealing then the mobile hot spot thing on Sprint. Sprint doesn't have the option, VZ does.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    You just don't get it. Verizon right now is the only carrier that provides a legal tethering plan and the Pre+ and Pixi+ are the only phone as it stands right now that can download that app directly from the app catalog as it was inteded. My whole argument would be rendered mute if Sprint offered a tethering plan, but we all know that it does not and also prohibits the use of phone tethering in its customer agreement. Is using my tether anymore legal then using the hot spot app? Of course its not. One was just created by Palm and as it stands right now Palm is only making that app available to Verizon customers.

And ur rates going up really?! I doubt it will ever happen but the same argument can be made for using a tethering app on the Sprint network when no such app is supposed to be on the Sprint Pre at this point in time. Its not the app but the services associated with that app that makes the argument. But like I said earlier I'm guilty of using the hot spot app on my Sprint Pre and quite frankly I don't care if Verizon customers choose to use the Sprint Nav or not. So OP go on with your bad self if you got the Sprint Nav working!
    No you don't get it. How can I steal from Verizon when I not using anything that Verizon created or payed for go ahead explain it. At best we are stealing a sprint service they do no provide in the first place and using bandwidth that is already payed for which the same can be done with verizon so the hole point of your tethering argument is mute it can be done on both carriers illegally.

Yet on the other hand using sprints telenav without paying for a service plan is in fact stealing money from sprint, because sprint actually pays for that.

Maybe they should hack the V navigator and use it free?

How hard is it for you to see this?

I not even arguing the moral issues behind tethering or jacking sprint telenav. Because I tether myself although I don't tether while roaming
    No you don't get it. How can I steal from Verizon when I not using anything that Verizon created or payed for go ahead explain it. At best we are stealing a sprint service they do no provide in the first place and using bandwidth that is already payed for which the same can be done with verizon so the hole point of your tethering argument is mute it can be done on both carriers illegally.

Yet on the other hand using sprints telenav without paying for a service plan is in fact stealing money from sprint, because sprint actually pays for that.

Maybe they should hack the V navigator and use it free?

How hard is it for you to see this?

I not even arguing the moral issues behind tethering or jacking sprint telenav. Because I tether myself although I don't tether while roaming
    so what you are telling me is that Verizon is not in any way paying for the exclusivity of the Pre+ which as it is right now includes the Palm sanctioned download of the Mobile Hot Spot app not officially offered on any other phones but the Verizon exclusives?
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    lmao.. It's funny to read the justifications flying around. Smells like a whole lotta guilt to me! Don't get me wrong.. I'ma crook from back in the day when it wasn't as easy as dl'n torrents. When reverse engineering and hex editing where a must know. Although I hate to admit it.. I won't argue that I'm not. It is what it is! If it where a big deal.. I'm sure Precentral would have nixed it by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    lmao.. It's funny to read the justifications flying around. Smells like a whole lotta guilt to me! Don't get me wrong.. I'ma crook from back in the day when it wasn't as easy as dl'n torrents. When reverse engineering and hex editing where a must know. Although I hate to admit it.. I won't argue that I'm not. It is what it is! If it where a big deal.. I'm sure Precentral would have nixed it by now.
    I'm not arguing the fact of doing it, I could really care less. To be real I don't think I have payed for music since I was in the sixth grade. I just don't like the fact how u can call one thing stealing and the other not where in both cases ur taking something u r not supposed to have But i do agree with you.
    don't know
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    so what you are telling me is that Verizon is not in any way paying for the exclusivity of the Pre+ which as it is right now includes the Palm sanctioned download of the Mobile Hot Spot app not officially offered on any other phones but the Verizon exclusives?
    Does anyone know for a fact that the MHS app is part of the exclusivity? Also is it Sprint or Palm block the app from us? Other than speculation all we know for sure is that the Pre+ hardware is part of the deal.

So is it Palm or Sprint blocking the app? My guess is both but seeing as we can tether without the use of MHS and have no payed option. While Pre+ have no turn by turn without jacking a Sprint app or paying, I fail to see them as the same. One works when stolen the other requires 3rd party service to work. One adds a feature to a phone that has a paid viable option the other makes use of features not available even it your willing to pay.

I see it like this Pre+ users are breaking into someones garage to steal a piece of wood because they are to cheap to drive to the home depot. While pre users found a piece of wood lying in an open field took it home and reworked it for the purpose we needed because even if we wanted to go buy one we could not because there is no hardware store.
    Does anyone know for a fact that the MHS app is part of the exclusivity? Also is it Sprint or Palm block the app from us? Other than speculation all we know for sure is that the Pre+ hardware is part of the deal.

So is it Palm or Sprint blocking the app? My guess is both but seeing as we can tether without the use of MHS and have no payed option. While Pre+ have no turn by turn without jacking a Sprint app or paying, I fail to see them as the same. One works when stolen the other requires 3rd party service to work. One adds a feature to a phone that has a paid viable option the other makes use of features not available even it your willing to pay.

I see it like this Pre+ users are breaking into someones garage to steal a piece of wood because they are to cheap to drive to the home depot. While pre users found a piece of wood lying in an open field took it home and reworked it for the purpose we needed because even if we wanted to go buy one we could not because there is no hardware store.
    Well my point is, going off of ur wood analogy, is that ur taken the piece of wood even though someone name address and phone number is written on it. We as Sprint users do have a choice although it may not be what you want to hear. We could move to Verizon. All I'm saying is the way it stands at this point in time not knowing anything other about the exclusivity except for the fact that Verizon's the only carrier with the app and the Pixi+ and Pre+ are the only phones that are supposed to have it. Verizon even going as far as having palm implement that data meter that discrimates between phone data and tethering use.

My arguemnt could be completely worthless three months from now Sprint allows the tethering app and service on their network, but as we stand right now(as I'm sure you can see) the only completely legal way to use that app would be on Verizon who offers the service as a plan add on. This being so the only way one can 100% legally tether a Pre or Pixi is on the Verizon network using the app that's provided to them by Palm. Anything else would be taking away customers and a minimum $40 profit from Verizon and thus I say using the mobile hot spot app is "stealing" on any other US network except Verizon's. So we are taking something that has been deemed $40 in value and this Verizon customer wants to take something that according to Verizon is $10 in value( which is pretty ridiculous since ur on a data plan anyway but is the same value that sprint charged on any of the Non-Everything plan). Stealing is stealing but seems like a good trade off to me being a Sprint customer.
    Last edited by Brownbear50; 02/02/2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Well my point is, going off of ur wood analogy, is that ur taken the piece of wood even though someone name address and phone number is written on it. We as Sprint users do have a choice although it may not be what you want to hear. We could move to Verizon. All I'm saying is the way it stands at this point in time not knowing anything other about the exclusivity except for the fact that Verizon's the only carrier with the app and the Pixi+ and Pre+ are the only phones that are supposed to have it. Verizon even going as far as having palm implement that data meter that discrimates between phone data and tethering use.

My arguemnt could be completely worthless three months from now Sprint allows the tethering app and service on their network, but as we stand right now(as I'm sure you can see) the only completely legal way to use that app would be on Verizon who offers the service as a plan add on. This being so the only way one can 100% legally tether a Pre or Pixi is on the Verizon network using the app that's provided to them by Palm. Anything else would be taking away customers and a minimum $40 profit from Verizon and thus I say using the mobile hot spot app is "stealing" on any other US network except Verizon's. So we are taking something that has been deemed $40 in value and this Verizon customer wants to take something that according to Verizon is $10 in value( which is pretty ridiculous since ur on a data plan anyway but is the same value that sprint charged on any of the Non-Everything plan). Stealing is stealing but seems like a good trade off to me being a Sprint customer.
    Lets agree to disagree.
    I have the sprint nav app running fine on my verizon palm pre plus.
  16.    #36  
    thanks for staying on topic guys...didn't know this was The View

Thanks Krod301
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeebs View Post
    thanks for staying on topic guys...didn't know this was The View

Thanks Krod301
    LOL
    Seen the family guy episode about the view? (can't post link....not l337 enough with 10 posts) heh
    Everything Data family plan with Sprint for 5 lines at a shared 1500 minutes comes out to $189.96. Factor in insurance and taxes, that brings you to about a cold $200/month. So you'd be paying about $40 per family member. Tack on $50 bucks if you want the 3000 shared minutes package. So that would be $50 per family member a month. Now mind you these plans are unlimited any mobile anytime so the minutes really don't matter unless you're making a lot of calls to landlines. And you can choose different handsets for each member of the family so you can get cheaper handsets in addition to you Pre(s). Unless your Verizon plan beats $40/month/person, I'd say the incentive to switch would be rather compelling.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    This is simple. If you pay for it then it is yours to use. If you don't pay for it then it is not. Sprint nav on VZ phone is an example of piracy. Tethering a Sprint phone is an example of piracy. For those naysayers just remember that Sprint doesn't want tethering on their network to control bandwidth. Sprint wants you to by an EVDO modem for your PC. Anyway, using any kind of service that is either officially unavailable or that your didn't pay for is stealing - No way around it.
    So, to try get back to the meat of the topic (as I see it):

If not the Sprint App, is there a 3rd party/homebrew app that does turn-by-turn navi?

I don't mind paying a one-time fee, and then not having to pay montly dues to Verizon or anyone else - AND doing it legitimately!

russ
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast