View Poll Results: What do you expect to see/hear at MWC from Palm?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • New carriers (AT&T or otherwise)

16 21.92%
  • New software features

22 30.14%
  • Palm Pre/Pixi 2 (or some other name)

17 23.29%
  • Completely new designed phone

4 5.48%
  • Completely new device possibly to compete with the Ipad

3 4.11%
  • Zip Zilch Squat... NOTHING!

11 15.07%
  1.    #1  
    I remember hearing something about Palm having a big presentation at Mobile World Congress this year during CES. Do you think its going to be anything significant? Expanding to more carriers? AT&T? More features of Webos? Or maybe even the motherload, a NEW Palm Pre or other device to be released in or around June. If you vote for a new Palm Pre, please suggest what you think the new features will be hardware and software wise. Give me your thoughts!
    According to the MWC website Palm is not presenting.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    According to the MWC website Palm is not presenting.
    hmm, really? I could've sworn I read or heard somewhere that they were gonna have a big announcement. Maybe I'm very wrong. I guess its possible that they could still announce something but not officially at the conference.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I think what you're thinking of was a post about how an unconfirmed hesse supposedly commented on engadget reffering to a future announcement involving the C40 and said to take place @ MWC....
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    i don't want any new device. I want speed and I want it yesterday.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lexflo View Post
    I think what you're thinking of was a post about how an unconfirmed hesse supposedly commented on engadget reffering to a future announcement involving the C40 and said to take place @ MWC....
    yup! That's quite possibly the one! Ok, an unconfirmed report can very likely be BS, but I feel like at the very least they'll announce the Pre coming to AT&T.

Personally I feel like sometime in the next few months there will be a big announcement about a Pre 2 (C40.. or whatever its gonna be called). Sprint will likely get the new device in June in time for many people to upgrade.

What I'm expecting is for the new device to be very similar to the current Pre. Same general design, possibly a little bigger OLED screen crammed in, faster processor for sure (snapdragon?), 512MB of memory, 32GB/64GB storage, digital compass, 5MP+ camera with auto focus and macro ability, front facing web cam (because we all know the next gen iphone will have one), MUCH faster UI that uses the GPU more.

Apple will for sure be pulling out all the stops to keep from bleeding more iphone customers to android. Palm will have to not just keep up but stay ahead.
    Those are some mighty high expectations you've got.
    good ones, but high
  9.    #9  
    yea, what can I say? I have high expectations for what palm can do. All the specs that I mentioned will be pretty much standard. Iphone will most likely have a 64GB version, OLED screen, faster processor, and more memory, along with a better camera (something to rival the 5MP the droid has). Front facing webcam is of course very much rumor right now (like it has every year), but Jobs' talking about how the next iphone is going to be way ahead of the game makes me think that it will finally have the front facing camera.
    Last edited by schnoid; 02/02/2010 at 09:34 PM.
  10.    #10  
    if Palm announced a new Pre with a front facing camera, do you think it would get way more news coverage? Seems like if Palm could be the first to release the first real video conferencing phone, they'd make some MAJOR sales. Personally I would prefer not having video conferencing, but i think some people would get excited about it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Joint venture with Jitterbug for the Palm Grannie

LoL.. clever idea, but I sure hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    yup! That's quite possibly the one! Ok, an unconfirmed report can very likely be BS, but I feel like at the very least they'll announce the Pre coming to AT&T.

Personally I feel like sometime in the next few months there will be a big announcement about a Pre 2 (C40.. or whatever its gonna be called). Sprint will likely get the new device in June in time for many people to upgrade.

What I'm expecting is for the new device to be very similar to the current Pre. Same general design, possibly a little bigger OLED screen crammed in, faster processor for sure (snapdragon?), 512MB of memory, 32GB/64GB storage, digital compass, 5MP+ camera with auto focus and macro ability, front facing web cam (because we all know the next gen iphone will have one), MUCH faster UI that uses the GPU more.

Apple will for sure be pulling out all the stops to keep from bleeding more iphone customers to android. Palm will have to not just keep up but stay ahead.
    yea alll of the is mabye to high for palm to do. OLED is terrible the only good thing about it is that the border will actully match the phone.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    yea alll of the is mabye to high for palm to do. OLED is terrible the only good thing about it is that the border will actully match the phone.
    I'm not sure why those specs are so outrageous to people? When the Pre was released it beat out iphone's specs in pretty much every way. The iphone 3Gs matched the Pre but still hasn't surpassed it. Every phone will have OLED in the next year or so, 32GB storage is pretty much standard (and Iphone will probably have 64GB), every phone's going to have at least 5MP+ autofocus cameras, and processor/memory upgrades are just a given.
    I'm sure Palm's next phone will have those or better specs. However, I don't think they're going to do OLED or at least I hope that they don't. Some people don't understand this b/c some get too caught up in specs and what the other 'guy' is doing; but OLED screens aren't good when you're trying to view them in bright light. Sure the colors on OLED look good, but in every way that counts, LCD screens for phones are the to way to go until OLED readability in bright light improves.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I'm sure Palm's next phone will have those or better specs. However, I don't think they're going to do OLED or at least I hope that they don't. Some people don't understand this b/c some get too caught up in specs and what the other 'guy' is doing; but OLED screens aren't good when you're trying to view them in bright light. Sure the colors on OLED look good, but in every way that counts, LCD screens for phones are the to way to go until OLED readability in bright light improves.
    Agreed. OLED is horrible in sunlight. One of the best things about the Pre, in my opinion, is how great it looks outside.

If Palm is listening, please do NOT follow the herd in adopting OLED. If you want to see what that would look like, check out the Zune HD. Its OLED screen (and lack of a play/pause and volume buttons) is what's stopping me from upgrading from my Zune 80GB (with a screen that is also hard to read in bright light).

As far as I know, this issue can't be resolved with OLED, i.e., you can't make a transflective OLED screen by its very nature. So, there would seem to be no use for OLED in mobile devices.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    interesting, I had no idea OLED had such issues. Only time I've seen any OLED screens were indoors and they looked AMAZING. I guess if this is true, then I agree OLED isn't the way to go. Whats the next step in terms of screen for phones then? Honestly I love how the screen looks on the pre, but I could definitely use a slightly larger one. Would the next step basically just be higher resolutions?
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    interesting, I had no idea OLED had such issues. Only time I've seen any OLED screens were indoors and they looked AMAZING. I guess if this is true, then I agree OLED isn't the way to go. Whats the next step in terms of screen for phones then? Honestly I love how the screen looks on the pre, but I could definitely use a slightly larger one. Would the next step basically just be higher resolutions?
    Inside OLED = amazing. Outside OLED = quite bad.

If a device is staying inside all the time OLEDs are the way to go, but on portable devices like PMP's and cell phones I think LED are still the best option.

I think Palm will hold off on a new device announcement untill June. They might show off more of the PDK or how flash works with Palm now. They may also talk about getting phones onto AT&T.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!