1.    #1  
    Can I buy a sprint Palm Pre and activate it on the verizon network without data? I only want the phone for messaging and phone calling and will use wifi for any data usage. Will this work now?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderFan View Post
    Can I buy a sprint Palm Pre and activate it on the verizon network without data? I only want the phone for messaging and phone calling and will use wifi for any data usage. Will this work now?
    I suggest you use the search function in the future as this has been answered before.

The short answer is no.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    no
    two touchstones and a car charger
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I suggest you use the search function in the future as this has been answered before.

The short answer is no.
    I did use the search feature and went through 5 pages of threads in the search trying to find the feature. Also googled it with no definite anwser other than it used to not be possible but possibly is now. Also, Tried to watch the video in the article where a guy successfully was able to get voice and sms but not data but the video had since been removed from youtube.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gordazo View Post
    no
    ty
    the short answer no, but the here is the long answer why

the phone is a PDA/Smartphone and in the carriers eyes you need a data plan no matter what. be pretty stupid having an iphone wit no data right? kinda the same for the pre. these the times we living in, you cannot go find a loop hole with the data plans or get a sprint pre and take it to verizon. just man up and go get the cheapest data plan. and trust me its somewhat unlimited (5gb) you will use the phone outside of wifi areas. you can flash the pre to work with verizon or another carrier, but look at the issue no data working or mms. you bought a phone that suppose to work kick ***, but you cant get it work like that wit a budget.

cant get wine taste for a beer price
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    the short answer no, but the here is the long answer why

the phone is a PDA/Smartphone and in the carriers eyes you need a data plan no matter what. be pretty stupid having an iphone wit no data right? kinda the same for the pre. these the times we living in, you cannot go find a loop hole with the data plans or get a sprint pre and take it to verizon. just man up and go get the cheapest data plan. and trust me its somewhat unlimited (5gb) you will use the phone outside of wifi areas. you can flash the pre to work with verizon or another carrier, but look at the issue no data working or mms. you bought a phone that suppose to work kick ***, but you cant get it work like that wit a budget.

cant get wine taste for a beer price
    Well the deal is i have and iphone 3g with that pretty data plan and am just sick of paying for data usage when 90% of the time I am using data on my phone I am using wifi. The other 10% I use edge but could do without it. I have 3g turned off because i literally never need it. I see no need to pay the $30 per month for a service I literally never use and dont want to use. But as you said that is the age we live in. Just trying to find my loop hole
    Just trying to find a way to still get email and a bit of browsing but be able to downgrade my phone expenses a bit.
    Thanks for the help.
    so why not just purchase the Pre Plus from Verizon and opt for their cheapest data plan?
    yes you can

check out this thread from JULY 2009, yeah way back when the pre first came out there was someone who got it to work heres the article and heres the thread
    I stand corrected. My apologies.

I did use the search feature and went through 5 pages of threads in the search trying to find the feature. Also googled it with no definite anwser other than it used to not be possible but possibly is now. Also, Tried to watch the video in the article where a guy successfully was able to get voice and sms but not data but the video had since been removed from youtube.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    yes you can
    Yah that was the vid and thread I tried to watch. Just read through the whole thread and it appears it would be a lot of work. I am not sure if its a lot of work to get the phone part working which is all i want. Probably gonna have to scrap this idea as well.

Thanks for the links and help.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I stand corrected. My apologies.
    np