Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I called Palm yesterday and they seem to have no idea this is going on. Funny. I asked them if they even check these message boards to see complaints and of course, couldn't really get an answer. I'm sure I was dealing with some low level, low paid employee in India that couldn't even answer a question unless it was on his flowchart right in front of his face. Has anyone else had any luck contacting Palm? Going from 100% to 60% in 3 hours with no use is getting really old.....FAST. It seems these phones work well as soon as an update comes out, then they go to crap shortly there after. I'm on my second Pre and this one is going back soon too. I don't get it. I had a Samsung smartphone for a year and a half and that thing was a workhorse for me and I've had Treo's. What happened here?
    I would wait and see whats happens in 1.4 before getting too frustrated
    My hubby's phone just started this too. And I haven't added/changed anything on his phone in weeks. Very weird.
    BTW, my phone is fine and I have almost every patch installed. Very weird!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Mine too since i installed Preware (latest version)..
    I suspect this is an issue with apps or processes getting stuck running in the background. The first time it happened to me, I actually noticed it because I was at work and noticed the phone was warm enough that I felt it through my pocket, like the processor was running full tilt on something. After a restart it seemed to go back to normal.

It happened again today (though I didn't notice the phone being warm this time). When I pulled into work this morning I sat in the car a minute to check a few emails, and the phone was at 100%. During the day I did perhaps 30 min of web browsing, 10 min of phone calls, and opened Preware once to check for updates. As I sit here typing this the phone is at 31% - and that's with a seido 2600.

I think I'm going to start using battery monitor again to see if I can find any patterns here...
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Well, after a week or so, I can definitely say that deleting wIRC helped me tremendously. Sounds like rogue background services are constantly running.
    I've doctored my phone three times now, and I'm still getting about 8% per hour usage IN AIRPLANE MODE. Strangely, even if I'm using the phone heavily it doesn't seem to go up all that much. The next thing I'm going to try is a hammer.
    They need to make a way to control what programs have acess to the internet. I dont need apps like People sending me alerts ever five seconds. These type of things eat your batter alive.

I was having a lot of issues with the batter, then my phone died. I had to do a full reset of the device using the doctor. My battery life has greatly improved. I also noted a huge speed diference with the fresh install. A lot of the apps slow down the phone and eat more battery. You can use things like AOL IM, you just have to disingage when your done. I use WIRC all the time when im on the road. Somone sends me a text to get on. I set as availible, then use it.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I'd just like to throw my own "me too" into the mix. I noticed that my battery was draining very quickly lately... I haven't tried very hard to isolate the cause though. I did do the major preware update, and I've also picked up a few apps recently: NewsRoom, Slacker Radio (although I haven't actually run either of those since several reboots ago, so I doubt those are the issue.)

This highlights something - I'd love to see an app that could tell us what other apps are accessing the network, and how often they do it. Right now, WebOS is like a black box - things are communicating in the background all the time, but I have no idea what things, or what they're saying to who...
    Have you people that have been experiencing battery drain recently patched your devices to run at 600mhz? Remember if you're running at 600mhz full time you will suffer significant battery drain.

People tend to forget they have told their Pre/Pixi to run at 600 and then wonder why their batteries are dying so quick.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm seeing the same thing. I've had this phone for maybe 6 weeks, but I do not have any homebrew apps installed yet. I have push email on, but no instant messenger (I know this used to be a culprit). This is the same battery I've had through all of my Pres. Wifi doesn't save any juice. After restarting fresh and having a full charge with no apps running, I lose 25% / hour with it just sitting. This also just started happening to me recently. Probably in the past week or two. Very strange because I haven't installed any new apps or changed any settings in that time frame.

Also, my profile is backing up automatically as it should. I've noticed that each time an update is installed, the battery seems like it has to recalibrate. I always thought that the batteries themselves held that calibration info, but is that not the case? If it is calibrated by the phone's software, maybe they changed the calibration algorithm, and that is what is screwing this up well after the update. Slowly calibrating itself into less battery life?

P.S. Here are the only apps I have installed. Do any of these apps have service that run at bootup?:
    AccuWeather
    AP Mobile
    Concerts
    Fandango
    FlightView
    GoPayment
    New York Times
    NFSU (Need for Speed)
    OpenTable
    Pandora
    Shortcovers
    Trapster
    And of course the built-in ones
    Last edited by VoodooGod; 02/08/2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added battery calibration comment
    I have Preware with 30 patches running and my battery life is excellent. I was curious what my battery usage was when my Pre was idle and with my screen off. This was taken with my wifi on, GPS off, email set to check every 30 minutes (3 accounts). I am running the Smartreflex 500 patch and also have a Mugen 1400 battery. I can go a day of regular use (phone calls, texting and occasionally checking email) and still have 70% battery left at the end of the day. If I am listening to Pandora with my BT headsets, that's a different story, burn about 15% an hour doing that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have Preware with 30 patches running and my battery life is excellent. I was curious what my battery usage was when my Pre was idle and with my screen off. This was taken with my wifi on, GPS off, email set to check every 30 minutes (3 accounts). I am running the Smartreflex 500 patch and also have a Mugen 1400 battery. I can go a day of regular use (phone calls, texting and occasionally checking email) and still have 70% battery left at the end of the day. If I am listening to Pandora with my BT headsets, that's a different story, burn about 15% an hour doing that.
    0.64%!? Wow, that's incredible. I don't even use my phone for more than two or three 1-minute phone calls a day lately and it dies within 6 hours for sure. Time to get my battery tested maybe?
    I have to add to this because my battery has been flawless since day 1 (have the original release date battery) up until recent and I have 2 theories ..

First off i never ever let my phone die out completely (battery icon level) until recent because of more usage overall, and in the past the Pre lasted into day 2 with no problems (with light usage).. Ever since I've let it die a couple of times in the past few weeks, the battery barely lasts the day

Second, I have downloaded a pretty good share of apps in the last couple of weeks as well and i am wondering if between letting my phone completely drain out and the apps (which may be running hidden in the background) it may have only added to the strain on the battery.

Either way it could be a coincidence or it could be one or the other, i want to think its the apps though because if memory serves me correct that Speed trap app awhile back had the same issue on many people's phones until it was deleted, anyone remember that ???

So count me in on the all of a sudden the battery is draining faster than normal club, and lets all look at the apps we all have and see if we can track down the possible sucker ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    if memory serves me correct that Speed trap app awhile back had the same issue on many people's phones until it was deleted, anyone remember that ???
    Are you referring to Trapster? I have that installed now actually, but does it install as a service? That is, could it start on its own at bootup without me running that application? I'm going to delete that app and see if my battery life improves.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGod View Post
    Are you referring to Trapster? I have that installed now actually, but does it install as a service? That is, could it start on its own at bootup without me running that application? I'm going to delete that app and see if my battery life improves.
    Yes that was it, Trapster, big battery drainer app, at least the initial version was, maybe they fixed the leak ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

I've noticed it since the preware update as well. I've turned backups off altogether, we'll see if that makes a difference.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Perhaps this is Palm's way of ensuring that we see a battery life increase when they release their update this month. Even though it'll just put us back to where we were :P
    Hahaha, yes!
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Have you people that have been experiencing battery drain recently patched your devices to run at 600mhz? Remember if you're running at 600mhz full time you will suffer significant battery drain.

People tend to forget they have told their Pre/Pixi to run at 600 and then wonder why their batteries are dying so quick.
    Pixi runs at 600 mhz natively and thus cannot be patched to 600 mhz. A lot of us running at 600 mhz on the Pre have noticed little if any battery drain differences. I haven't noticed any issues yet on my Pre (knock on wood).
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast