Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I've noticed the short battery life myself, although I just bought it 2 days ago and have been using it a LOT. I usually only get 3 hours out of it (mostly just playing around in Preware, with 10-15 minutes of NFSU or web mixed in randomly).

This will be my 3rd charging session tonight (going to let it completely die before I charge it. I've also been having the really warm/hot battery issue, and it's completely random. As far as I know I haven't been through the AUPT updates (could someone remind me how to check for updates for my apps and such?)
    I have the problem too. Palm will probably fix in 1.4, hopefully.
    ^_^; very strange, tbh.
    I've noticed the drain since the Auto Patch updater in preware. Sprint Pre with preware.

Installing all the patch updates and rebooting fixed it the first time, but it started happening again today.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    with the palm profile thing, i didn't actually delete any profile. All I did was go in, tap 'backup now', and tossed the card once it was done. This improved the battery life.

It's definitely a backup thing. Maybe there was a change on their end and it affected us all?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    I've got the same problem as well. On my 2nd battery. I bought the Pre on the 25th and noticed that the drain was pretty bad. I slowly started changing the config on the device (turning off wifi, bluetooth, email downloads, etc..) and started logging the percentage drains. Mine has been draining at 10% an hour. Sunday night I fully charged it BEFORE bed and by morning I couldn't even get the screen to turn on. Charge time seems to be normal but sucker will NOT hold a charge.

I took it back yesterday and the clerk gave me a brand new battery to try. Unfortunately it's doing the same thing so if nothing changes, I'm taking the phone back for a replacement next Sunday.

I appreciate the suggestions I've read so far. I would never have known to try the off, delete, on thing with the backup. I did that and I'll try going thru several charge cycles again to see if that makes a difference but I think I'm gonna end up getting a new phone.
    I discovered this one tonight... My Pre was showing a drain of 3.xx% per hour (not bad), until I opened Preware. With no other apps open, I looked through Preware for about 10 minutes seeing what was now listed for different categories. I checked the power drain and it showed around 10% just after closing the application. I then left my Pre on the table for a couple of hours (nothing else running) and when I came back the drain was now showing 9.3% ever since closing Preware. Its almost like the services for that application never shut down after closing and were still draining the battery.

I know others have been blaming certain patches themselves for the drain... I wondering if this was just a one-off issue, or if others experience this every so often?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/04/2010 at 12:28 AM.
    Ladies and gentleman, WebOS is a wonderful experiment. Interesting UI, fun to use. At the same time, We're being sold snake oil in very large quantities. I'm frankly sick of dealing with appalling life, screen lockups, poor build quality. Why hasn't anyone screamed class action lawsuit yet?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    After disabling/deleting the old backup file, then re-enabling my battery went from 100% -> 95% in the same 11pm to 5am timeframe (previously it went from upper 90's to 0). I did disable my wifi this time, tonight I'll try it again with wifi enabled and see what happens.

Looks like it might be just a bug with the backup service.
    Quote Originally Posted by smackswell View Post
    Ladies and gentleman, WebOS is a wonderful experiment. Interesting UI, fun to use. At the same time, We're being sold snake oil in very large quantities. I'm frankly sick of dealing with appalling life, screen lockups, poor build quality. Why hasn't anyone screamed class action lawsuit yet?
    Give me a break - Here's to hoping you are simply a Troll with only 2 posts. If you don't like it - change phones. Yes, there are some hiccups, but it far from being qualified as 'snake-oil'. If you buy a television that you end up not liking, do you run around crying 'class-action lawsuit'? I bought a pizza the other night that wasn't as good as the commercials say - maybe I can start a lawsuit. Oh.. and my toothpaste didn't leave my mouth as 'fresh' tasting as the commercials hyped it - even more money to sue for! Yayy. God forbid I simply go and purchase something else that meets my needs/desires.
    /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Give me a break - Here's to hoping you are simply a Troll with only 2 posts. If you don't like it - change phones. Yes, there are some hiccups, but it far from being qualified as 'snake-oil'. If you buy a television that you end up not liking, do you run around crying 'class-action lawsuit'? I bought a pizza the other night that wasn't as good as the commercials say - maybe I can start a lawsuit. Oh.. and my toothpaste didn't leave my mouth as 'fresh' tasting as the commercials hyped it - even more money to sue for! Yayy. God forbid I simply go and purchase something else that meets my needs/desires.
    /sarcasm
    I don't think I like your attitude -- you can expect to hear from my attorney.

P.S. As a follow up to my previous post. After deleting the backup and then doing a manual backup, I went to bed with it at a 100% charge and actually woke up with 30%. So it did improve a little. I'm starting to suspect the backup routine as well. Maybe I'll turn it off and leave it off tonight and see what happens.
    I had the same issues after the webos quick install update. I thought it may have been the weather dashboard but I uninstalled that and my battery still had serious issues keeping a charge. Finally I webos doctored my phone and alas......the problem was gone and my battery was competent once again. I have not tried to reinstall my patches as of yet, I may wait until 1.4 and give it another chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by JONDIRK View Post
    I don't think I like your attitude -- you can expect to hear from my attorney
    lol

now.. while I wait for a call from Gloria Allred... I watched my phone all day and it averaged a little over 7% drain/hour, but in the first 2 hours of taking it off of the TC, it dropped down to 80%. That's with nothing running but having email check every 30 min for one account and every hour for another. I don't know what's going on, but I've never had this issue before the last update. If this it the ONLY thing 1.4 addresses (even pushing off video recording) I'd be incredibly happy. I love, love, love this phone, but am getting soo dang tired of having to plug it in every time I sit down.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ok my battery took a dive (I thought) a few nights ago when I updated the auto patch updater. My phone went from lasting 7am to 10pm with moderate use to dead in 3 hours with no use. I removed patches, no help. Epr, no help. Doctored helped get me back up to maybe 6 hrs. I did a partial erase next, and the next day I didn't see much improvement ofer the 6 hrs the day before. After jacking with my pre this much I did a full erase. I got about 6 hrs with light use and still had 30%.
    Conclusion: I think I fried my battery, 1400 Mah mugen. The same night I did the update I played several hours of card ace while charging, and my pre got pretty hot. After this the battery would drain about 15%+ per hour playing card ace. I put in the oem battery tonight and played card ace for 2 hrs and it only drained 10%. Like I said I think I cooked the battery. I can let you know if I get bettter battery life tomorrow, if I do it's def the battery, the 1400Mah was way better than the oem
    Ok... I think found out what was causing my battery to drain 15% an hour. It maybe a mixture of things and I know battery drain can be convoluted but here it goes

Here's the situation when the problem was in affect...

wifi turned off
    bluetooth turned off
    push email turned off
    a few patches install
    theme installed
    brightness unlinked
    8 paid apps from the app catalogue

Everything was turned off and basically my battery was draining about 10 - 15 percent an hour

After a few battery replacements from Verizon they finally gave me a replacement phone - I decided to do a WebOSDoctor reinstall just to start from scratch - I reloaded with my Palm profile account and everything synced over - I have 4 different email accounts - I turned on wifi, bluetooth, and push email for two of my accounts. Battery was running fine about 7% an hour depending on usage - I then installed preware, a theme, a few patches, and brightness unlinked - I then noticed that my battery was draining about 18% an hour - I removed brightness unlinked and my battery seems to be draining normal - Normal can be a complex term in terms of battery drain

Here's what I have and what I'm getting...

wifi turned on
    bluetooth turned on
    push email on two accounts
    a few patches and one theme running
    about 8 paid apps

I'm seeing about 7% battery drain per hour - This is with light use as far as web surfing and talking on the phone - The results will be different if I started using services that access the internet and so on - I can say that I've always had brightness unlinked install and it seems that it is the problem child - I'm sure there's others patches and apps that maybe causing issues too - this is just my finding

If you have brightness unlinked installed... uninstall it and see if it resolves the issue
    My battery was still draining rather rapidly. 30% in a few hours while checking a little email and sending a few texts. no gps, don't have wifi. So the doctor is looking at my Pixi now (60% of the way through). Are people restoring their palm profile or starting from scratch completely. I'm assuming Palm Profile isn't restoring any preware apps and patches so it should be safe. I did backup my PalmDatabase.db3 file to my pc. So I shouldn't lose my msgs and logs. Now I just don't know what to add back on and what not to. I wish there was a way to sort through the installed list via the date you installed it. That would make things a little easier.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Mine also went from 2-3% per hour up to 10% per hour. Doctor the phone and removed everything nothing changed... I hope 1.4 fixes the issues also.
    well my battery seems better, but now I can't install any apps because my app memory is full. Freshly doctored with just the Palm profile restored. Such a pain.
    i got this phone just a couple days ago now that it has launched on Verizon, and the battery life is absolute crap. charged that phone all last night, went to work at 8 by the time lunch rolled around it was down to about 20%.
    the battery was generally pretty good. This is a recent happening. A bit odd.
    All the sudden after yesterday, the phone is back to normal. Anyone else? I lose 5% an hour.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast