Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    the day I updated all my patches the battery went to SH&^%T! I don't know what happened but I have traced it to that exact step!!

What now??
    I'm losing about 15% an hour with light to moderate use. I did just add patches a few days ago for the first time and that is about when I started seeing the battery drain issue. Not sure if that is the culprit or just a coincidence, but I think I will remove the patches for now to see if things return to normal.
    It actually depends on where you are (location wise). I on on the original PRE on sprint have noticed that when I am WFH the battery drains happen a lot slower than when i am at work. Of course my office at work gets spotty Sprint connection while at home I get amazing connection. I was running out of battery by end of day so I went and got myself the extended power batter (2800mAh). My pre is a little bit fatter now (about the thickness of my AT&T tilt) but still usable.

My friend recently transferred to Sprint and had the same issue with his PRE. Sprint connection in his building is even worse than mine and he had the same problem. Workaround, google voice redirect calls to his office phone, turn on wifi and turn off radio. He is planning to buy the extended battery as well.

I have noticed that there are several apps that download data in the background even though I have never run them. People was one which I removed eventually since I never used it. Maybe some updates is causing these apps to work in the background more.

You also have to keep in mind that now the PRE is running the googletalk, yahoo messenger and facebook apps all the time.
    Someone with (newly) perfect battery life chiming in to provide a different perspective:

I used to drain about 15%/h when I had emails as they arrive, but that dropped down to ~2%/h when I changed it to sync every 30 minutes last week. I had wIRC client/service installed until yesterday, when I decided it's only taking up space since on average, I use IRC once a year and won't need it on my phone. Drain when idle has now dropped to 0.6%/h, measured during the nine hours I slept tonight. Palm profile backup happened during that time. I wish I had taken a screenshot of that. wIRC seems to be a resource hog even if you're not running it (presumably since the service is running even if the client isn't).

With average use (made and took a couple calls, sent a normal amount of txts, surfed the web in multiple cards for a total of about an hour, used some assorted Apps, played Quake for half an hour in the subway) I drained an average of about 5%/h today, and am now (5pm) at a well-adjusted 50%. All figures courtesy of BatteryMonitor.

That means that if I left my Pre in the drawer and didn't touch it once, the battery would last about a week. If I'm actually using it the way people use smartphones, I'm comfortably getting through a full workday without taking my touchstone wherever I go (which, until recently, I had to do).

All this is on a Pre running a permanent 600mhz, syncing two gMail accounts at 30mins, GPS "when needed", IM service permanently off.

Oh, I do have the 1400mAh battery, but when BatteryMonitor was still telling us capacities, my battery only seemed to go up to 1330mAh. My friend's Korean stock Palm battery was displayed as 1250, not the nominal 1150. So I don't know how much of a difference my aftermarket battery is making, but I sincerely doubt that it's ALL the difference.

That said, I'm as much in the dark as to why some people are bleeding battery life away like mad while lucky others such as myself have no issues (anymore). I just want to say that the problem is definitely more mysterious and elusive than "Battery life on Pre sucks", because it really doesn't. It sucks on SOME Pres, and is excellent on others. I take that as an indication that battery life can potentially be excellent on ALL Pres. Why it isn't I do not know.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 02/02/2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Aftermarket battery
    A lot of these new apps are running in the background and staying conected. Things like People, gdial, and Youview are going to impact your battery.

My battery is draining about the same, but it seems like my car charger doesnt pull enough juice anymore to charge the battery. In fact the batter seems to crash when I try to charge in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr157 View Post
    Could this have to do with AUPT fix for patches?

Perhaps the folks complaining about recent battery drain issues should sound off. Are you using Preware and have you used it since the AUPT fix came out?

My battery drain issues certainly seem to coincide with the Preware fix.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    It would be nice if there was an app or patch which indicated the source of battery usage. That is, what apps are using "juice" and at what rate.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Yeah, a running-service app would be nice. I did notice the serious battery drain happened as soon as PreWare said a ****load of my patches got an update.

I even removed the Yahoo contacts because I thought that was the culprit. I'll ask my coworker today about his since his is a clean un-hacked device.

Removed wIRC and service. I'll see how that works.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    350 hours standby
    Huh? That's absolutely impossible.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i've never used preware, and i've been experiencing funny battery.

other gsm (read: not sprint or verizon) users have had this too.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    Huh? That's absolutely impossible.
    Actually, I think it might be possible, in a fashion. My idling Pre is pulling 0.6% per hour with telephone radio enabled (wifi switches itself off with the screen, right?), giving me roughly 165 hours of standby. IF I put it in airplane mode, who knows, 350 just might be in there.

That would be some mighty creative truth in advertising though. My Hummer H3 gets 1000 miles per gallon, IF the engine doesn't run and I'm pushing it down the street.

Then again, other companies are doing the same thing; Apple is giving standby time for the iPhone 3GS as 300 hours, which is just as much of a straight-faced lie as the 350 Palm are giving us. It's a sad but true fact of life that you simply can not believe anything anybody says when they're trying to sell you something.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    okay, this might sound wacky, but i did a manual profile backup, and afterwards, the battery seems much better.

does this make sense?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    okay, this might sound wacky, but i did a manual profile backup, and afterwards, the battery seems much better.

does this make sense?
    Yes it does. I had the same problem after 1.3.5.2 Update here in Germany. Later i see, that the automatic Backup has stopped working daily. I delete old PalmProfileBackup, start a manual backup and reactivate the automatic Backup.
    After that my battery drain was gone.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simossoft View Post
    Yes it does. I had the same problem after 1.3.5.2 Update here in Germany. Later i see, that the automatic Backup has stopped working daily. I delete old PalmProfileBackup, start a manual backup and reactivate the automatic Backup.
    Thanks simossoft, I'm going to try this. I just got my new Pre on Monday and last night at 11pm I was at 95% battery; by this morning at 4am it was 100% dead.
    It has no apps installed, no modding of any kind. IM clients were all signed out, all email accounts set to manual update only, bluetooth off. I left the wifi turned on after reading several threads that say leave it on for better battery life, but maybe that's wrong for just sitting overnight?

I can't believe my battery would go from 95->0 in 5 hours with no interaction whatsoever (no cards left running in the background, nothing)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJP0tato View Post
    Thanks simossoft, I'm going to try this. I just got my new Pre on Monday
    That's your problem right there. The first ten charges or so on any Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery are always bad; the battery only reaches its full capacity after a few discharge-recharge cycles. When I first got my Pre (and then my aftermarket battery), it would keep its charge for a few hours even when doing absolutely nothing. It's gonna get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Masuka
    Science is a cold-hearted btch with a fourteen-inch strap-on
    Well from my experience....and I have had my Pre since June (launch day) on Sprint.

I battery life did improve with updates etc. This past couple of weeks though it is back in the ***tter. Not sure exactly why, I checked the screen birghtness and IM is off. I can however asure its not because of the Palm profile as mine is still consistantly backing up the data daily.

Not sure what the deal is? My guess is either with the patch updates, or another peice of software that came out around the same time...but hard to pin down the culprit.
    I was experiencing the same problem - about a week ago the battery started draining much, much, faster. At the same time, however, my Sprint Pre was acting a little quirky when turning it on or off - it just didn't always want to change state.

I finally determined the power button was causing the problem and brought it in for repair. Took about 10 minutes for them to put in a new power button, and now it works great again and the battery is back to normal.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    mine may have started the nasty drain around the time of the preware update. switching off the wifi did seem to slow the drain rate down to about 5% per hour with no usage at all. i did notice my backup was a few days behind so i just deleted the backup profile and restarted. i did not have wifi on when i tired to turn off the backup and it stated it needed an internet connection to do this. I wonder if the backup not completing was causing the phone to consistantly send partial data over the wifi. its not a signal issue since the two places im at most the time both have full bars of signal and im set to Sprint Only for service.
    Im leaving the wifi on now at 86% batt and I'll see what happens now that i reset the backup profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by simossoft View Post
    That was exactly what I found on O2 UK. Battery drain was at 10-15% per hour as of a week or so ago. One night it locked up whilst on charge and when I got it back I noticed there had been no backup for a week or two. I forced a manual backup and the battery had been fine since.

It seems to be definately related somehow to the Palm profile.
    Don't think it's just Pre related. I noticed it the past two days. Sitting barely sending an email or text and just watching the battery dropping percentage points. Just this morning less than an hour off the charger doing nothing it was down to 91% and was in the 80's less than an hour later.

I'm at 100% now and just deleted the old backup and manually backed up. Let's see what happens. For those that don't know, turning off backup will bring up the option to delete the old back up file. After that, turn backup back on and manually backup.

YouView was the only thing I installed recently as well if I had to trace it back to an app. Will leave that alone for now and see what happpens.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast