Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been ready for an upgrade for over a year now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I'm almost 100% sure I want a Pre, but I'm very tempted by the Hero.

Some background...my first smartphone was a Treo 650 and I've been a Palm fan ever since (wanted a Palm PDA before that, but waited for the Treo). I went to the 700 (not much of an upgrade) and when nothing was heard from Palm, I switched to the Curve when it launched. While it's a nice phone, it just doesn't have all the coolness of a Palm device. I was bored with it after a day or two, while even after a year with my Treos, I was still in love with them.

While the Hero has a good app catalog (I know Palm's is coming, and there's a lot of Homebrew apps, so that's not really an issue) and they have a pretty "hip" OS, from what I've read, it doesn't have any of the hardware issues the Pre has had. That, along with the smaller keyboard may keep me from the Pre. I am going to really play with them both tomorrow after work, so I should be able to decide then.

Is there anything I need to look for if I do decide to buy one? Any special build dates or anything I should check for before walking out of the store? How about anything to help me know 100% I want the Pre over the Hero?
    First dont give in to all the negative post on here. Yes the Pre has had hardware issues, but many people are still on their first or second Pre's. The build quality has gotten a little better over the last year. I thought the same thing about the keyboard being small, but after having the phone since launch I must say the keyboard is not that bad. Last I cant say much about the Hero not having messed with it much. However I have messed with other android phones. I rate the Pre well above the android in smoothness, ease of use, and overall. Plus I think the Pre can be customized better with homebrew! Just my thoughts
    well i can tell u maybe some ppl has hardware issues but let me tellu that im on construction n im a tile instaler, n IM STILL ON MY FIRST PRE!!! since launch on pre, n i do a lot of rough work, so i dont knw what some of these ppl r doing with their phones, having said that......wooow im never had a palm phone in the past, n I LOVE THIS PHONE, THIS PHONE IS THE S H I T :cool
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    I am going to really play with them both tomorrow after work, so I should be able to decide then.

Is there anything I need to look for if I do decide to buy one? Any special build dates or anything I should check for before walking out of the store? How about anything to help me know 100% I want the Pre over the Hero?
    they are both easy to use, so your hands on experiences will help you right there.

Pre has been selling well, so you should be getting a recent build device likely.

i dont recall if you can check the serial number at store, but here is the way of telling the build date of the device from "device info" When is your Palm Pre’s birthday? | Lisa Brewster
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. I'm also concerned about a Pre Plus or Pre 2 coming to Sprint soon. I am a premium customer, so I'll be able to upgrade in a year anyway.

Although, I do have to say this. I am an Apple ****** and would LOVE an iPhone on Sprint. As much of a Palm loyalist that I am, I have drank Steve's kool-aid.
    Although, I do have to say this. I am an Apple ****** and would LOVE an iPhone on Sprint. As much of a Palm loyalist that I am, I have drank Steve's kool-aid.
    well, sprint allows you change phones every 12 months, you have double the chance than VZ or ATT to get any phone you want.
    weellll go to att we'll stay here with the PRE
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip34 View Post
    weellll go to att we'll stay here with the PRE
    There is no way I'm going to AT&T. The plans are just too expensive.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I am the advocate for the Palm Pre at the Sprint store, also for the HTC Hero. The day I got the Hero, I was impressed for the apps it have in the market. I had to make a choice to replace my Hero for the Pre. Couldn't do it. I opened a new line for the Hero. Sorry HTC, can't live without my Pre. It does many things at the same time, multitasking and many cool stuff. Once you use the Pre, nothing stays the same. I played with my Hero and downloaded apps, but afterwards, it got boring. It doesn't have the proximity sensor, Lags at times, is just not efficient like the Pre. Android is cools, but not cool enough against the Pre. i know that the Pre isn't perfect, but it does the job. I also carry an iphone, because in my job at the Sprint store, I need to feel and try the rest of the competition. The iphone is very cools and very responsive phone, BUT it gets very boring. I realized that after downloading apps and playing with it for a week. The media player and the big screen is phenomenal, buuuuttt, is just gets boring too. If you ask people with the iphone, how much fun it is without its application, you will see in their faces everything. I looove the upgrades on the Pre, as it evolves into a better and sophisticated machine. The iphone? wait for the yearly upgrades then. The Pre, for me rules. The battery life is the only annoying thing. Get another battery and you are done.
    Most Android phones are on 2.0 already. I think the Hero won't receive it until June or so. This is because with every Android update HTC has to update SenseUI. If you're a technophile getting every update six months later will begin to wear thin. Also even though there are more apps, because different companies use different hardware many of them are not universally compatible.
    just dont come back here a week later to complain about the battery, we all know it sucks but the phone is good enough to have a touch stone charger to make your charging life simpler
    i have the pre and my wife has the hero, the battery sucks on both phones. u wont get more than 10 h out of each phone a day, so expect to see yourself charging the pre/hero once or twice a day. Both phones r highly customasible, the pre is very user friendly and u wont have much problem figuring this phone out. and the other hand the hero is very complicated, something as easy as changing a wallpaper, a ringtone, or just delete an app will require scrolling through many different menus. my wife plays with her phone almost every day jsut trying to find new things, she had it for like 4 months and just the other day she finally figured how to change a wallpaper and customize and populate all her favorite apps in the main page. i think u need to go and play with both phones, b4 u make ur final decision.
    I've been ready for an upgrade for over a year now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I'm almost 100% sure I want a Pre, but I'm very tempted by the Hero.

Some background...my first smartphone was a Treo 650 and I've been a Palm fan ever since (wanted a Palm PDA before that, but waited for the Treo). I went to the 700 (not much of an upgrade) and when nothing was heard from Palm, I switched to the Curve when it launched. While it's a nice phone, it just doesn't have all the coolness of a Palm device. I was bored with it after a day or two, while even after a year with my Treos, I was still in love with them.

While the Hero has a good app catalog (I know Palm's is coming, and there's a lot of Homebrew apps, so that's not really an issue) and they have a pretty "hip" OS, from what I've read, it doesn't have any of the hardware issues the Pre has had. That, along with the smaller keyboard may keep me from the Pre. I am going to really play with them both tomorrow after work, so I should be able to decide then.

save your money and switch to at&t and buy an iphone!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bitnasty View Post
    save your money and switch to at&t and buy an iphone!
    Can you please explain to him how switching to AT&T will save him money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad1029 View Post
    +1. switching to ATT is diametrically opposite of saving the money
    Quote Originally Posted by Evad1029 View Post
    Switching to AT&T is no where near close to Whatever benefits he is getting as a Premium customer with Sprint.. unlimited text, unlimited data, sprint voice guided navigation, no restrictions on the phone.. you can't beat that.

AT&T is a garbage company -- take out iPhone and AT&T will bankrupt in one year.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I have pre...I currently pay $38/month for 500 minutes (free to any mobile), unlimited text, and unlimted data. Show me anywhere else I can get that deal, let alone att. Not even boost mobile is that cheap and it's prepaid.

anyways, all I can hive is my experience with the pre. I am orig. Launch-day user. After 6 months, I blew the outside speaker.I had to go through 4 refurbs before I got one in relatively good shape...this was extremely annoying but they were all free.

don't let that be the reason you don't get a pre. The number on here is overexaggerated because people come on here to complain but hardly ever to say their phones have lasted a whole year. Forums are often negative, just oeople trying to fix their phones, express their concerns.

I LOVE my pre. I had the chance to switch out in jan, but I just couldn't do it. I can't give up what it offers me. Noone else can do true multitask, easy sanctioned hacking, fun total experience, physical keyboard, personal account management, the list goes on and on. You will love ur pre.
    The best advice I can offer with the Pre is to immerse yourself in the community. The homebrew efforts through applications, patches, mods, and themes really took this phone to a new level. And I feel that once the 1.4 upgrade hits and the PDK is out in full force, the Pre will truly become the best in breed for smartphones.

Right now I see each phone having particular strengths...the iPhone has apps galore and a slick user interface, the Android has a lot of customization potential and can be found in a wide variety of form factors, and RIM has a good lock on email sync with corporate environments.

The Pre will soon have all the apps you will need as developers start porting iPhone and Android apps to this platform (and when they see how easy it is, how developer friendly Palm is trying to be, and how supportive the Palm community can be...they won't look back), and the user interface is second to none...once you use the WebOS platform, everything else seems clunky and cumbersome in comparison...including the iPhone. I shudder to think of having to close my web browser or my mail app or ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER LOL, to do something else. WebOS form and function kicks the poo out of the Android experience. And Palm is making strides in getting email and calendar sync up there to the level of RIM. Synergy is a great concept, and if fully executed will be better than anything else out there.

What is missing? Better hardware. My Pre has been flawless from the get go, and I have none of the oreo, screen cracking, or other issues people have reported. And I am tough on my phone...it bears the scars to prove it. But I agree that the fit and finish could be better. And the crappy headphone jack needs to go.

Native audible support. I feel this is coming soon, but sad that it has taken this long.

Voice command/voice dialing. Many argue this is not an essential function, but I disagree...as laws are getting tough on cell usage in a vehicle, this is a must have for many users. And as someone who never puts his Pre down...I would LOVE it.

Internal compass for augmented reality apps

Camera with autofocus for barcode apps

Everything else I have wanted, I have gotten...so I am hopeful that by this summer the Pre2 or whatever it is called will finish off my bucket list. But that said, don't worry about buying a Pre now...it is still hands down the best smartphone out there. And when you factor in the Sprint prices, you are getting a great phone dirt cheap...now that is a win/win.
  19. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Excellent.

wkj
    Advice??? Should have bought it yesterday!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast