1.    #1  
    Guys, Today I stumbled into a very interesting and I would say not so good feature of the Pre Messaging. But first I would like to say I do love that I have a place where I can see a collection of Conversations and nice sorted per latest activities and what day it was.

So here is the interesting thing about the Pre Messaging listing; let’s say you have a buddy that has two cell phones you clearly can send message to one or the other. You have sent you buddy a sms to phone “A”. Now every time you go via the Messaging listing to your buddy it will remember the last sms connection so the next sms is also sent to phone “A”. Next time you want to send something to you buddy you may go to the contact and pick, let’s say your buddies phone “B”. So from this point on all your sms sent from the Messaging list will now go to phone “B”. Yes you are blindfolded here when you use the Messaging list since it does not list the phone number but just the name of your buddy.

Now this get real interesting when you have a conversation with your buddy and you for some reason is sending a sms to his landline (great service that Sprint has here, if you have not tried it do so – it is real cool). Oh no the Messaging list is now sending everything to the landline until I remember to pick my buddy from the Contact list.

Palm has to fixed this: I have no problem with the logic here, but please list what phone I am linked to when I move from the Messaging list to the actual conversation so I can change phone number if it is not correct.
    I assume other have see this and if not be aware of the issue.
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    from the messaging app, in the upper right corner next to the persons name, it will say 'text'. if you tap on this, it will give you a drop down, showing the current number the texts are going too, and give you the option to switch to any other number or their aim/gmail/etc
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    from the messaging app, in the upper right corner next to the persons name, it will say 'text'. if you tap on this, it will give you a drop down, showing the current number the texts are going too, and give you the option to switch to any other number or their aim/gmail/etc
    I think his point is that when you're looking at your conversation history, you can't tell which number you were texting to. For example, sometimes my friend texts from Google Voice and sometimes from a cellphone number. I have no way of knowing which one is which because it just says SMS in the history.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zentraed View Post
    I think his point is that when you're looking at your conversation history, you can't tell which number you were texting to. For example, sometimes my friend texts from Google Voice and sometimes from a cellphone number. I have no way of knowing which one is which because it just says SMS in the history.
    oh absolutely, and it's really annoying, but I was just suggesting that you don't need to start all the way from the contacts list, as it sounded like that's what the OP was doing.
  5.    #5  
    Pomokey, thanks for pointing out the Text shortcut, which for sure saves some “clicks”.

Zentraed, you got one of my two points which correctly was that I have no way of tracking what was going on in the Messaging list. The other point that I would be blindfolded with regards to where the sms was really going (what phone number the sms was sent to).

Do we know about any Patch for fixing this?
    Bjarne Winkler
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    Do we know about any Patch for fixing this?
    Purely a guess, but I imagine it would not be very difficult compared to some.
    Maybe I'm slow, but I don't see the issue. Perhaps this is because (a) I don't have any friends with 2 cell numbers, and (b) I don't really care what number past texts went to, as long as I can control where the new one goes to...which I can by clicking the upper right drop down menu. YMMV.
    I don't know about you guys, but if you've ever used a Treo 650 or 750, which I'm currently using, you will only see the name. You don't see the person's number. It is the same way on the Iphone and other phones I've seen.

If you need to know which one you're sending it to maybe in your phone's contact list you should label your friend's name something 'Brian's Cell' representing his cell number and 'Brian's Home' representing his home phone number. That way you know which one you're sending to. That way when you want to send a text you can use the drop down menu and select the one you want to send your text to. I guess I don't understand why that is so hard to do.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  9.    #9  
    Nothing is hard to do when you know what is going on, in my case I did not know that the Message list would keep the last used sms phone number as the defaulted number when there are multiple options (I should have guessed it was like that). I my case it was a surprise when the sms was going to the landline. Thanks to Pomokey I now have change the way I do sms.

Just for the record I have many of my friends in the business world that have two cell phones (a private and a business). I personally like to only drag one little phone with me.
    Bjarne Winkler
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    If I remember right, I think this was actually used as a small bit of marketing for the Pre originally. Palm boasted that you could begin a conversation on one channel/medium (e.g. cell phone) and continue it on another channel/medium (instant messaging).

I think I'm in the same boat as Bujin above. Never really been a problem, or a benefit either, for me.
    Sanyo 8100 => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Pre (all on Sprint)
    This actually is a "feature" since you shouldn't care what medium you use to converse with the person, be it email, chat , sms all is under the same person. Believe me, I would have moved to PRE just for this feature.

If you wan to control which mode you want to use just make sure "YOU" select it by clicking on the upper right hand corner.
  12.    #12  
    Guys, I totally like the function of the Messaging Link, which was not what I was pointed out. Now that I know about the Text shortcut I can live happy forever, or at least till I have 1.4 on the Pre.
    Bjarne Winkler
    Why not create a 2nd contact with just a bit of a change in the listing name?????? That would solve your problem in your conversation history. Personally i don't know anyone who has 2 cells or 2 different things to from (however I can text to land lines on Sprint so technically I can text to 2 different numbers under 1 contact).
  14.    #14  
    Cowgirlupkelly, a second contact would not be manageable since I have over several hundred contacts. Most of them have minimum two phone numbers (landline and cell phone). Many of them have even more numbers (work, home, cell plus business cell). On top of that the contacts are synchronized with Outlook. So as you can see that is not the solution to the issue.

After Promokey’s input I can now via the Text button and the checkmark in the dropdown list see what number is the current selected response number and change that if needed. So the issue was no so much a Palm issue, but an issue about getting me educated.

I understand that we all are not reading the full posting, because if we did Cowgirlupkelly you would have notice that I did address the cool way of sms to a landline in the original posting. However thank for pointing that out again since I think that there are lots of people that have no idea that you can do sms to a landline and how cool it really is.
    Bjarne Winkler
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    What about Universal Search? If your contact has multiple numbers, with that you should be able to simply click SMS next to the number you want to text them on. If you need to switch mid conversation, use the text link in the top corner of the messaging.

Or do you need to be able to know which messages you sent in the past on which number you sent to this person? Not sure about that one.
    I remember once i thought I was sending a text but the person was in Gchat mode. But a neat trick i found out, by sending the gchat while I was logged out of IM, only logged into gchat. Thought that was cool.

i like the "bring all messaging to one" but i don't think my recepients get the point as i try to pick up convo on a different medium :-P
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  17.    #17  
    Maturin, tracking media is not that important to me, except one could point out to the contact something like: “did you see the sms that I sent to your business cell phone yesterday?”

The tracking could be done with having the time stamp of the sms include the media information, but again as I pointed out that is not that important to me. Now that I know how to see what is the current selected phone number / media I am cool.

RanGT, thanks for pointing out that I am not the only one that have had this issue and like me the more we use it and the more we learn the cooler all this is.

To all of you thanks for educate me
    Bjarne Winkler