Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Hey Guys, first post

I am switching over from my sacred Bold 9000 to the Pre Plus within the next couple of weeks.

Why the switch? Our company is switching to Verizon, and the Pre Plus is the only phone on their network that is small, has an actual keyboard, and the browser is fast and responsive. I was considering the tour, but I'd much rather stay away from trackballs / sensors!

My questions:

1 - I have 2 e-mail accounts hooked into my bold, and I receive them INSTANTLY. The first is my personal, which is GMAIL. My second is my business, which is OWA. Will my e-mails be as instantaneous as my blackberry? Or will I have to manually check in order to get them as fast?

2 - Bluetooth / Battery -- I have bluetooth on for work and driving, as it's a law. Will this kill my battery significantly faster? On my bold I have 3G and bluetooth activated 24/7 and the battery lasts about a day on normal use.

3 - How many SMS texts does a standard thread hold? I have OS 5 and one conversation dates back to November. If it can't hold as many threads, can SMS be backed up?

4 - Pandora - How is it on the Pre? I use an aux jack in my car right now. ( I'm sure it's better than AT&T, losing 3G every mile on the highway)

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get this phone, finally an app store with 16gb of storage for them !
    Quote Originally Posted by bcroft View Post
    Hey Guys, first post

I am switching over from my sacred Bold 9000 to the Pre Plus within the next couple of weeks.

Why the switch? Our company is switching to Verizon, and the Pre Plus is the only phone on their network that is small, has an actual keyboard, and the browser is fast and responsive. I was considering the tour, but I'd much rather stay away from trackballs / sensors!

My questions:

1 - I have 2 e-mail accounts hooked into my bold, and I receive them INSTANTLY. The first is my personal, which is GMAIL. My second is my business, which is OWA. Will my e-mails be as instantaneous as my blackberry? Or will I have to manually check in order to get them as fast?

2 - Bluetooth / Battery -- I have bluetooth on for work and driving, as it's a law. Will this kill my battery significantly faster? On my bold I have 3G and bluetooth activated 24/7 and the battery lasts about a day on normal use.

3 - How many SMS texts does a standard thread hold? I have OS 5 and one conversation dates back to November. If it can't hold as many threads, can SMS be backed up?

4 - Pandora - How is it on the Pre? I use an aux jack in my car right now. ( I'm sure it's better than AT&T, losing 3G every mile on the highway)

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get this phone, finally an app store with 16gb of storage for them !
    1. Gmail has IMAP Idle its not instantaneous but pretty close like 3-5 mins max delay at least for me. Your other if its exchange will be push and instant like a blackberry.

2. Anything you do will kill your Pre Plus's battery especially leaving radio's on (WiFI, Bluetooth, GPS). I would suggest you buy a spare or two and get that Palm Spare Battery Charger its a life saver.

3. You can go on until you run out of memory pretty much so its the same as your blackberry.

4. Pandora is great and coverage is everywhere I find that all the radio apps work very well over EVDO. There is also Slacker now which is new and Accuradio I believe which is pretty good in my opinion since you don't need premium access for unlimited skips.

Also I would search around the forums now before you get the phone so you can get a feel for what the device can do. With patches and homebrew the possibilities are endless. Good luck with your new Pre whenever you get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcroft View Post
    Hey Guys, first post

My questions:

1) You can set them to push email to your phone as they come in (except for a couple minute delay in Gmail), BUT you will find this is a drain on the battery. The Pre's battery isn't huge and it will last longer if you can delay email. However push-email works well with this phone from multiple accounts!

2) Bluetooth will drain your battery faster. I keep mine on most times while at work and on the road and simply got in the habit of putting it on an extra touchstone at the office for power (or you can plug it into a computer via USB cable to allow it to have an extra power source to last the day). Personally, having a Touchstone at the office is an absolutely perfect solution (and they are only $30 now).

3) No idea how many a thread can hold and to be honest, you are the first person I've ever heard up using one like that. I don't know of a way of backing up an SMS of that size. YET (but you never know - a patch could come out for it at any time)

4) Pandora works GREAT on the Pre. I came to the Pre (Sprint) from AT&T and when I was there I dropped calls constantly. I hated AT&T because I would drop calls all the time on my Treo's (their network sucks). I use Pandora quite a bit and it has been a huge leap forward from the other network. AND.. a new Slacker Radio application was just released which is even better. I love using the PlayTime radio application for streaming local (and non-local) radio stations.

Like I mentioned, the Pre suffers from a bit of a shorter battery life (especially if you keep bluetooth on and have your mail set for 'push'). But you can either pick up a Touchstone charger or two for the home and office, and a car charger for traveling. I'm on the road between the office and customer locations all the time and having a quick power supply like this has been an easy fix. You can also pick up extended batteries which will more than get you through a business day (or two).
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thanks guys!

I keep forgetting that the touchstone back is already comes with the plus. So having a touchstone charging dock is a great idea at the office.

I guess I can live with my personal e-mail being delayed to save my battery life. If I really need to I will just leave the browser up in a card so I'm one refresh away.

As for the SMS, yes sorry I'm a bit of a texter! I average about 15-20,000 txts / month. This is why I do not want the Eris! Which is the other phone offered for free by my company.

I can't wait to play with homebrew, and I'm glad that there is an unbricking tutorial
    1. I use gmail idle (push) and i get emails right away no delay
    2. Yap when I use bluetooth and evdo to listen to shoutcast the battery drains 20% an hour or so.
    3. it's a memory thing. U can have as much sms as the memory allows
    4. I don't use pandora i prefer shoutcast
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I really appreciate all of the responses, I think you guys hit everything on point.

About cases, what kind do you guys have? I don't want a cracked screen since it is going to be Verizon's property!
    What i recommend is extended battery. They have then on Ebay for 20 dollars. I bought mines from a seller in Minnesota with is the 2250mAh battery.i have my emails push, i can listen to slacker radio for about 5 hours with my bluetooth on and i will still have like 20 percent battery life left at the end of the day. In the weekends i used the touchstone cover.
    The seido innocase seems to be a favorite as it allows the touchstone to work. Also for battery if you want get the 1400mah battery as its the largest that will work with the touchtstone cover. So far there hasnt been at 2000-2800mah battery yet that has a working touchstone cover. I guess its too expensive for them to develop.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    As far as the extended batteries go, is the 1400mah battery the largest that I can get without the phone becoming bigger and buying a new cover?
    push email works right away for me. Faster than the browser often times.
    1400 is the largest battery that uses the original palm battery cover (i.e. no change in form factor).