Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pre #1, bought in June, very buggy, extremely laggy at times. Sprint replaced.
    Pre #2, replacement refurb from sprint. Arrived with a scratch. 3 days later, scratch evolved into a crack with no drops whatsoever. Sprint refused, Palm obliged.
    Pre #3, no matter how much I tried to baby this thing, I dropped it at least twice a week from chest high, and many more times from a lower height. Several cracks, one even extending a quarter inch into the screen area, but no functionality lost. It's a matter of time before it dies.

Yesterday, I got excited about something and jumped up in the air. This crafty little devil jumps out of my chest pocket, where I always keep it to avoid uncomfortable contact with keys, flies above my head, and lands on the floor in front of me; did I mention my workplace has CONCRETE floors? I think nothing of it, as I've dropped it literally dozens of times. The battery is almost dead, so I just let it die.

When I get it home and charge it for the obligatory 4-15 minutes, I come to the conclusion that I have dropped it for the last time. The touchscreen, in all its glory, is completely touchless.

I've tried all the tips and tricks, battery pull, charge, pretty much everything you can do without touch response. I have filed my claim with Asurion and they "assure" me that I'll have my replacement within 1-2 business days.

The phone still calls, as I can slide the keyboard up and type a phone number or contact entry. Any advice as to how to access my text messages? I have received about 40 since yesterday, and I can only view the first 20-30 characters of the most recent one in the notifications.

Also, as it was obviously the physical damage that caused the failure, and I have already charged the $100 deductible to my Sprint account, do I need to do anything to the phone, i.e. remove patches, Doctor it, or otherwise, so they don't accuse me of intentionally damaging it?

Thanks for listening, sorry if there was a better place to post this.
    Last edited by GLAzedFAith; 02/01/2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: JUNE, not JULY...*** was I thinking?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GLAzedFAith View Post
    Pre #1, bought in July, very buggy, extremely laggy at times. Sprint replaced.
    Pre #2, replacement refurb from sprint. Arrived with a scratch. 3 days later, scratch evolved into a crack with no drops whatsoever. Sprint refused, Palm obliged.
    Pre #3, no matter how much I tried to baby this thing, I dropped it at least twice a week from chest high, and many more times from a lower height. Several cracks, one even extending a quarter inch into the screen area, but no functionality lost. It's a matter of time before it dies.

Yesterday, I got excited about something and jumped up in the air. This crafty little devil jumps out of my chest pocket, where I always keep it to avoid uncomfortable contact with keys, flies above my head, and lands on the floor in front of me; did I mention my workplace has CONCRETE floors? I think nothing of it, as I've dropped it literally dozens of times. The battery is almost dead, so I just let it die.

When I get it home and charge it for the obligatory 4-15 minutes, I come to the conclusion that I have dropped it for the last time. The touchscreen, in all its glory, is completely touchless.

I've tried all the tips and tricks, battery pull, charge, pretty much everything you can do without touch response. I have filed my claim with Asurion and they "assure" me that I'll have my replacement within 1-2 business days.

The phone still calls, as I can slide the keyboard up and type a phone number or contact entry. Any advice as to how to access my text messages? I have received about 40 since yesterday, and I can only view the first 20-30 characters of the most recent one in the notifications.

Also, as it was obviously the physical damage that caused the failure, and I have already charged the $100 deductible to my Sprint account, do I need to do anything to the phone, i.e. remove patches, Doctor it, or otherwise, so they don't accuse me of intentionally damaging it?

Thanks for listening, sorry if there was a better place to post this.
    Nope had a similar issue with the screen losing touch function. Difference was I had a case on when I dropped mine so phone took no physical damage and they didn't ask any questions they replaced with no deductible in store. As far as your patches that doesn't matter your complaint is of physical damage and you charged deductible already.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Does anybody know of a way to retrieve and actually see the text messages on my computer? I consider myself tech-savvy, but ssh, etc. is beyond me. I had a vnc client to go from my pre to my pc...now if only there were a way to go the other way.

Can I extract the .db3 file and inject it into the emulator? I don't know if there's anything important in there, but i'd hate to lose it without knowing.
  4.    #4  
    UPDATE: No matter what horror stories anybody throws around about Asurion, they are my homeboy. I filed my claim for damage online at 2:30-3:00 PM today. I just got an email with tracking and according to FedEx, I should have my "new" Pre tomorrow by 3PM...

It's in God's hands. Still would like to know about the text messages thing.
  5.    #5  
    And we're back. Ladies and gentlemen, though you aren't reading this thread, and it contributes nothing of value to the forums, I am here to tell you that I received my phone today at noon. That's 21 hours after filing the claim. Activation was a little rocky, but after chatting with sprint, I am back up and running and only $100 lighter than yesterday.
    Sounds like this was a solid experience overall. Welcome back!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GLAzedFAith View Post
    And we're back. Ladies and gentlemen, though you aren't reading this thread, and it contributes nothing of value to the forums, I am here to tell you that I received my phone today at noon. That's 21 hours after filing the claim. Activation was a little rocky, but after chatting with sprint, I am back up and running and only $100 lighter than yesterday.
    Is Asurion handing out refurbs? My girlfriend got a brand new Pre (box and everything!) from them back in July. Now she needs yet another replacement because she too dropped her Pre one too many times.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    this is a VERY slippery phone....dropped mine a few times as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Is Asurion handing out refurbs? My girlfriend got a brand new Pre (box and everything!) from them back in July. Now she needs yet another replacement because she too dropped her Pre one too many times.
    I think back then they were sending out new ones as there weren't enough refurbs to around with all the returns. Pretty sure that now everyone gets refurbs for any damage replacements.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I think back then they were sending out new ones as there weren't enough refurbs to around with all the returns. Pretty sure that now everyone gets refurbs for any damage replacements.
    My girlfriend is going to be even more.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    This is Fedex Lina. I am sorry for the misphap on your phone shipment. I am sure everthing will work out with your new phone. Thank you for your business. Have a wonderful week!
    I also dropped 1 too many times and touchscreen went out (not enough physical damage showing) warranty replacement

But reason I am posting is put touchstone back on phone. I have not dropped it once since I did, made a huge difference.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FedexLina View Post
    This is Fedex Lina. I am sorry for the misphap on your phone shipment. I am sure everthing will work out with your new phone. Thank you for your business. Have a wonderful week!
    Seriously? An official FedEx Representative???
  14.    #14  
    Yes, I'm pretty sure all the phones going out are refurbs.

Looked at mine, ACTDATE 8/8/2009 RECONDDATE 10232009, so definite refurb, but I surveyed it for quality, and it seems to check out. No scratches, cracks, nicks, blemishes, screen inconsistencies, solid slider, no wiggle. Also, to encourage me to take better care of it, I have ordered a holster from our friends at the precentral.net accessory store, and also ordered a touchstone kit. Hopefully the not-so-slick back will reduce drops.

AND I got to keep the battery from the old one. The return envelope explicitly stated that only the device was to be returned, no batteries or chargers, and they gave me a new battery with the replacement.

Definitely a solid experience here. +1 to Asurion. Apparently when they are working to 100%, they are golden. Did I mention that my phone was delivered at 12:00 today? That's less than 22 hours turnaround time. High Five! _O/\o_
    no you dont need to do anything to the phone its dead lol ,to funny!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16.    #16  
    No, the phone wasn't dead. The touch sensitivity on the screen stopped working, but the screen still did. I was only asking if I needed to wipe the phone or anything so that they wouldn't try to say the issue was caused by something I intentionally did. Obviously it was broken, but insurance fraud is another thing entirely. The issue has been resolved--the damaged phone, returned. Not really sure what was supposed to be funny about any of this, but thanks for your input.
  17.    #17  
    So, the 4th pre I've owned, the battery cover wouldn't stay on. I could lock it in place, but I had to put crushing forces to it to make it stay, and even then, it popped off in my pocket more than once. I called Asurion yesterday and they immediately dispatched yet another replacement. Just got lucky Number 5. I think I'll name it Johnny. Much newer unit, first active in november, refurbed a week ago. Got my hip holster to protect me from scratches and drops, and I'll have the touchstone on monday to make the back less slippery. I think I'm ready to go!
    Johnny Five Alive! That's a great name for your Pre! If/whenever we get a microphone API, a Johnny-5 app would be really cool! This makes me want to see Short Circuit and War Games again to try and remember why I liked them.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Are you guys insured by Asurion through your provider? VZW told me that their insurance wouldn't cover physical damage. Does Asurion only cover the physical damage if it's on the Sprint phone? Can you get insured by Asurion without going through VZW to get full coverage? ACK sorry this is so confusing
    Quote Originally Posted by phonetroubles View Post
    Are you guys insured by Asurion through your provider? VZW told me that their insurance wouldn't cover physical damage. Does Asurion only cover the physical damage if it's on the Sprint phone? Can you get insured by Asurion without going through VZW to get full coverage? ACK sorry this is so confusing
    I have a Sprint phone (so I'm not sure about Verizon). Here's the phone number you should call to ask about Assurion for Verizon Wireless:
    1-888-881-2622
    (I found this on Asurion's web page.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast