Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK I just bought my Pre Plus the other day, and so far I LOVE it. But today I was at the gym and the battery went DEAD in three hrs. When I got there the battery level was 83%. I have the WiFi and Bluetooth off, received one call, and four messages. My E-mails set to sync every 30 min. The only app running was the music player. Is there any thing that I can do. Please help.
    Quote Originally Posted by prmdc1 View Post
    OK I just bought my Pre Plus the other day, and so far I LOVE it. But today I was at the gym and the battery went DEAD in three hrs. When I got there the battery level was 83%. I have the WiFi and Bluetooth off, received one call, and four messages. My E-mails set to sync every 30 min. The only app running was the music player. Is there any thing that I can do. Please help.
    when you bought it, did you charge the battery completely before using it? Also, I've heard that you need to put in several full charges for the phone to optimize the battery life.

my Pre Plus' battery life has been getting better since I first got it. although I need a replacement soon, which Verizon won't do for me...
    The music app uses battery power, my ipod is good for about 5 hours, add in the fact that the battery % is typically off 5% to the negative and things add up.
    i know you just got the phone but you could try tp update the verizon network settings and the prl list, both in the phone settings. If you dont know where that is open the phone app, open the menu, top left, then click pn preferences, scroll down, close to bottom. I got my phone day one from sprint and had to update mine within a week. It updates your settings so the phone can connect to the proper network with the proper settings, makes it so the phone doesnt have to search for correct networks. It saved my phone and could have the music player open for 6 hours with 75% battery drain total. doesnt hurt to try.
    You know me to be a reasonably smart person, don't you think I would know if I were wrong?
    reducing email checking frequency to every 1 hr or 6hr will help you a lot (there is no reason to do every 30 minutes unless you are in great need of that).

Im certain this is a major factor, combined with music player.

standby, 3% /hr
    music, 8% /hr
    email checking every 30 min, 10%/hr

thats total >20%/hr

plus problems mentioned above.
    There is no network update and PRL update on the Verizon phones. You have to dial a special phone code and it does some over the air update. Somebody who has verizon can probably clarify this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    reducing email checking frequency to every 1 hr or 6hr will help you a lot (there is no reason to do every 30 minutes unless you are in great need of that).

Im certain this is a major factor, combined with music player.

standby, 3% /hr
    music, 8% /hr
    email checking every 30 min, 10%/hr

thats total >20%/hr

plus problems mentioned above.

there is not a chance that every 30 min email (twice an hour) uses 10% of battery every hour. I'd be very surprised if it used more than 1% every time it polled ur email

the answer is probably that the phone had a bad signal
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    there is not a chance that every 30 min email (twice an hour) uses 10% of battery every hour. I'd be very surprised if it used more than 1% every time it polled ur email

the answer is probably that the phone had a bad signal
    bad signal sure is a great concern, but email checking is definitely using battery at a rate of 20-30%/hr while working. if it works alot, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were to use 10% every hour depends on how many email accounts and emails.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    The music app uses battery power, my ipod is good for about 5 hours, add in the fact that the battery % is typically off 5% to the negative and things add up.
    Time to replace you iPod's battery, you're supposed to get at least 20 hours of playback.

I personally don't use my Pre to play music. Mainly because the music app is very laggy and doesn't organize music as well as my main mp3 player, my iPhone (OMG is just made a comparison to my iPhone I must be a troll). The music app also drains the battery pretty quickly, even when it's the only app running. I still need to buy a decent spare 1350mAh battery, because my phone can't make it through the day.
    Last edited by rashad1; 02/01/2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Time to replace you iPod's battery, your supposed to get at least 20 hours of playback.

I personally don't use my Pre to play music. Mainly because the music app is very laggy and doesn't organize music as well as my main mp3 player, my iPhone (OMG is just made a comparison to my iPhone I must be a troll). The music app also drains the battery pretty quickly, even when it's the only app running. I still need to buy a decent spare 1350mAh battery, because my phone can't make it through the day.
    at least you can buy a battery for it. When was last you you buy a battery for your iPod or iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    at least you can buy a battery for it. When was last you you buy a battery for your iPod or iPhone?
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...richoBurn1.gif
    Aren't Verizon users on the 1.4 version of WebOS already? With Sprint, when I updated to 1.3.5 I noticed a huge decrease in my battery life. I had email set to "As item arrives" and my wifi was on all the time. I changed this to "every 15 min" and disabled wifi when not in use and my batter life improved dramatically. Since you are already on these setting, then the only thing I can think of is that you may be on a different version of WebOS than Sprint. If you are on 1.4 already then who knows what algorithms they might have changed in order to "improve" battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    Aren't Verizon users on the 1.4 version of WebOS already?
    no
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I found it takes a week of use before the batter starts performing better. I get about 5 hours of use with the music player running.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    How does the iPhone organize music better? The Pre, Iphone and basically any other mp3 player organize based on the mp3 tag information. iTunes doesn't do anything special besides bring my computer to a crawl and treat me like I am a moron. If it is not doing either of those it is busy messing up my iPod touch... I have had to restore my iPod to the factory settings more times then I have installed operating systems and I have been using computers for at least 15 years

I HATE iTunes with a passion, no piece of software has caused so many problems and so much frustration for me in all my time of using computers and I sit in front of a computer at least 8 hours a day for my job!

To be fair, I personally I think the Pre or an iPhone make terrible mp3 players at the gym. You have to unlock the phone and look at the screen to change songs which I like to do frequently. If I am listening to Pandora it works fine, but otherwise it leaves alot to be desired. Something like a Sansa Clip works so much better and it is dirt cheap to boot. Now in the car, the Pre or an iPhone excel, although I have to give the final nod to the Pre because of multitasking (Pandora + Navigation FTW!) and unobtrusive notifications.

One final thing, rashad1, you get accused of being a troll because any even remotely negative post about a Pre you have to mention your iPhone and why it is better. A lot of people on here enjoy their Pre and get really sick of hearing why your iPhone is so much better. Personally, I think the iPhone is a great device chained to a horrible piece of software (iTunes) which ruins the entire experience IMHO.
    Last edited by strudel; 02/01/2010 at 10:57 PM.
    There are certainly ways to squeeze a bit more out of the stock battery. But, if you heavily use music or internet, it's basically going to drain the battery quick. This is how I fixed my problem:

Finally released from Brunton last week, and cost me $90 at REI. 2200mAh battery, and I can recharge it via wall, car, computer, or sun. Longest charge time is 10 hours in the sun. This is the Restore, and it has a little brother with only one panel called the Freedom. In my opinion, it's a great alternative to buying a battery specific for the Pre, if you are going to heavily use the phone. Plus, this will charge anything via mini, micro, and regular USB.
    I get by usually just under 20 hours most days if using my phone. (more if not). 3 hours just seems wrong.
    If you have a Yahoo contacts account, try removing it. It's a big battery drain.
    Airplane mode if you can (heck, I think it's nice to get off the grid for a little while every day). Being in certain buildings, ones that block signal, will KILL battery.

I work in labs often, and in the cleanroom and in the labs that are shielded to prevent interference (hence blocking the cell signal), my phone will constantly search for signal if I forget to turn on airplane mode. Searching for signal like that will kill the battery in just a couple of hours. If your phone is searching hard for signal at the gym, that can easily be your culprit, especially when combined with playing music.
    Msn email will drain your battery super fast, no matter how many hours it checks for updates. Gmail saved me plenty of battery life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast