1.    #1  
    Using my O2 Pre roaming in other European countries - The Data bill is HUGE. It downloads the entire emails....pics, the lot ! The auto syncing to google calendar, app catalogue downloads, help, palm profile..everything !!! There is no way to be selective with individual high-volume programmes. It's data on or data off !

It is all very well and good to have a web based phone but until data charges come down....I will be switching sims to another phone whenever I hear the words "cabin crew Doors to automatic.."
    wow that sucks.. :/ download that data patch from preware I think you can turn roaming off and turn data off... I'm glad sprint roaming is free!
    I don't know how O2 works, but here in the US I use Sprint. They have different policies for data roaming and voice roaming. I have free voice roaming anywhere in the US, but if I data roam there is a tariff. Therefore, I NEVER data roam.

I know this isn't what you'd like to hear, but it may be a solution.

Or maybe O2 has a plan with cheaper (or free) data roaming?

BTW, illskill suggested the preware patch that turns off roaming. I wonder if that will work on an O2 phone?
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    On my Sprint Pre I can turn off data roaming...is that not possible with the GSM version?
    @GoBears: What Sprint plan are you on? I thought all of their plans included free data roaming. I know mine does.

@rquesty: You shouldn't need a patch to disable data roaming. If you open the phone dialer, pull down the menu, and select Preferences, do you not have an option to disable data roaming?
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    I don't know how O2 works, but here in the US I use Sprint. They have different policies for data roaming and voice roaming. I have free voice roaming anywhere in the US, but if I data roam there is a tariff. Therefore, I NEVER data roam.

BTW, illskill suggested the preware patch that turns off roaming. I wonder if that will work on an O2 phone?
    Sprint doesn't have a fee for data roaming... at least not that I've ever heard of or seen. You just don't get 3G speeds while roaming on Verizon.

to the OP, you should be able to install patches to give you the ability to turn off all cell network data (3G and edge for GSM, or 1xRTT for CDMA). Then you can use wifi for data whenever you have access.
    I always have data roaming switched off because of this. In other countries I only use wifi. It's usually no problem to find a free wifi spot 2 or 3 times a day to sync up and stay up to date.

But it is ridiculous that they charge so much more as soon as you cross a border. It's about time they make a EU flat rate. People in the US definately have a better deal as far as that goes, all states, one rate.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Cli UX50 - T|x - Pr - Pr 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I called Europe last night from the US only spoke for 8-9 minutes, it's costing me $17!!!
    Sprint need more reasonable international rates.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I called Europe last night from the US only spoke for 8-9 minutes, it's costing me $17!!!
    Sprint need more reasonable international rates.

I feel for you. QUICK, call Sprint and sign up for their International plan before the billing cycle hits. In this manner the rate should be lower. It won't be free but it should take the sting out a little.

I did a similar thing calling a Canadian number from the US for an hour or so before I realized that I was talking on the cell phone instead of the Vonage "landline" with "free to US/Canada" plan. I immediately called Sprint and signed up for the $4 International dealio.

The next month I called them again and discontinued the plan. Now I know that if I need to dial outside of the US I choose to dial from my Google Voice number.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post
    On my Sprint Pre I can turn off data roaming...is that not possible with the GSM version?
    GSM's the same.
    It's not Pre roaming charges, it's your carrier's.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post

you have unlimited roaming data with your plan . only those who abuse data use with my tether or 5+ gigs every month could be capped or charged or cut off. so if you have sprint you have unlimited data anywhere and anyhow.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->