Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There is alot of hype and hope for the new 1.4 update.

It finally brings the Pre up to date with some, in my opinion, very basic phone abilities, the most obvious being taking video.

So the question is what else can be done after this update? are there certain places where you see the Pre SERIOUSLY lagging behind other phones (battery life excluded) ? what would you want improved, added or enhanced
    For what it's worth 1.4 is something that I am looking forward to, but I haven't once missed the ability to record video. It's a total non-feature compared to the 3D capabilities that they enabled with the PDK.

I am excited for Flash though.

I think the next big step would be hardware-accelerating the OS itself. I would also love a visual voicemail application.
    overall speed. it's better than bearable, as is, but i'd like it to be iphone snappy, even with several apps (like pandora, ann app DLing, email, etc...) open and running.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Ooh. Don't get me too excited! There are a few threads about this already, though... After 1.4, I mostly expect maintenance releases, maybe a 1.5 or 1.6 even, but I don't expect any major new features or architectural changes until WebOS 2.0. As for that, I'm hoping for the same good experience, with blazing fast speed, optimized across the board. Add in a few new features like smarter Synergy (selective Facebook syncing anyone?), and I'll be one happy guy.
    As mentioned in http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-gpu-gui.html I think that 1.5 should be all about speed, speed, speed. Passing GUI elements to the GPU rather than the CPU would be a good start.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    For what it's worth 1.4 is something that I am looking forward to, but I haven't once missed the ability to record video. It's a total non-feature compared to the 3D capabilities that they enabled with the PDK.

I am excited for Flash though.

I think the next big step would be hardware-accelerating the OS itself. I would also love a visual voicemail application.
    +1

I'm also hoping that Palm will concentrate on the PIM functionality to flesh out the OS before 2.0 drops.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    overall speed. it's better than bearable, as is, but i'd like it to be iphone snappy, even with several apps (like pandora, ann app DLing, email, etc...) open and running.
    I agree - my roomate has the iPhone and the only thing I really like about it, apart from the volume of apps, is that it runs so quick and so smooth -- way better than the Pre. But if they have the same hardware (more or less) how is this possible?

or is palm just not allowed us to use it ?
    Sending contacts via bluetooth. That's on my wish list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    I agree - my roomate has the iPhone and the only thing I really like about it, apart from the volume of apps, is that it runs so quick and so smooth -- way better than the Pre. But if they have the same hardware (more or less) how is this possible?

or is palm just not allowed us to use it ?
    The iPhone doesn't have to worry about multitasking.
    Ongoing issues, just off the top of my head...
    -Ability to migrate contacts from Palm Pofile to Google (or vice versa)
    -Improved Calendar function, particularly with regard to viewing/picking future calendar DAY OF WEEK when adding/editing appointments
    -Improved Memo app, adding category option and list view (as in old Palm OS)
    -Improved Task app- easier "one or two" tap access for adding or editing
    -Continued speed improvements and improved battery life
    -Addition of custom text "shortcuts" (a la the old Palm OS "shortcut5" hack)
    -Ability for more customized Launcher pages (ideally with tabbed headers)
    -As above with regard to Bookmarks
    -Option for Web view to default to Bookmarks list
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    The iPhone doesn't have to worry about multitasking.
    Word on the street is that the next major iPhone update will include "cards" (multitasking) or if not then their next iPhone.

are you saying that if they implemented this that it would be laggy and slow ?
    Voice dialing would be nice. Not to mention safer for driving and using the phone.
    Let me get through 1.4 first.

But i hope to see faster performance.
    David...
    Sprint Palm Pre
    A better Calendar. Seriously, it's the biggest missing feature. The Calendar app on the Pre is the worst calendar app of any current smartphone platform. You can't even add an event from the month or week view, it's completely stupid.

I dont' consider Video recording to be a "basic" feature, because until very recently, video recording quality on phones were awful, and not even worth using. And I'll be happy to have it, even happier if we get 720p recording(please please please)
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I'd like to see some kind of zoom feature on the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Ongoing issues, just off the top of my head...
    -Ability to migrate contacts from Palm Pofile to Google (or vice versa)
    -Improved Calendar function, particularly with regard to viewing/picking future calendar DAY OF WEEK when adding/editing appointments
    -Improved Memo app, adding category option and list view (as in old Palm OS)
    -Improved Task app- easier "one or two" tap access for adding or editing
    -Continued speed improvements and improved battery life
    -Addition of custom text "shortcuts" (a la the old Palm OS "shortcut5" hack)
    -Ability for more customized Launcher pages (ideally with tabbed headers)
    -As above with regard to Bookmarks
    -Option for Web view to default to Bookmarks list
    +1 through +9 = now please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Word on the street is that the next major iPhone update will include "cards" (multitasking) or if not then their next iPhone.

are you saying that if they implemented this that it would be laggy and slow ?
    First of all, I disagree with the premise that the Pre is laggy and slow. Starting an application occasionally takes a couple of seconds--that's not a huge disaster.

Second, yes, if the iPhone were to incorporate actual multitasking into the operating system then it would lead to applications taking slightly longer to start up as well.

Third, Apple did not demonstrate multitasking during their iPad event which disappointed many people. The iPad is at least two months away, so when exactly is this mythical OS update going to happen? If it is close, then why didn't they show it off at their event? Having even an incredibly basic form of multitasking (a la Android) would have completely changed the way that the iPad event was perceived.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    SIM Toolkit support!!! SIM based apps are simply a must in GSM world.
    Proxy support, this is an obvious feature that is needed by most people who want to use wifi at work.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    A much better (and wireless) way to sync and manage music, playlists, and videos. I don't use iTunes and the other current solutions are far from ideal.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast