Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    First of all, I disagree with the premise that the Pre is laggy and slow. Starting an application occasionally takes a couple of seconds--that's not a huge disaster.

    Second, yes, if the iPhone were to incorporate actual multitasking into the operating system then it would lead to applications taking slightly longer to start up as well.

    Third, Apple did not demonstrate multitasking during their iPad event which disappointed many people. The iPad is at least two months away, so when exactly is this mythical OS update going to happen? If it is close, then why didn't they show it off at their event? Having even an incredibly basic form of multitasking (a la Android) would have completely changed the way that the iPad event was perceived.

    Well I'm not sure if you've ever used an iPhone, because if you did, you would totally agree that in comparison to the iPhone, the pre is without a doubt, slower and there is much more lag. This is what I meant by "it's not up for debate" because if you are saying the Pre is just as fast as the iPhone you are either lieing or you are an *****.

    And as for the iPhone introducing multi-tasking? First of all, where did I say it was close? The answer? I didn't -- you just made that up.

    Besides the obvious fact that they inevitably will have to, due to more ram being available on upcoming phones, and also due to the demand from customers (in my opinion, it's not really a smart phone if you can't do multi-tasking), there this:



    Apple rumored to allow limited iPhone multi-tasking with iPhone OS 3.0

    "As great as push notifications might be, without true multi-tasking support, the iPhone will always be a compromise. But, there’s talk of the next iPhone sporting an upgraded 512MB of RAM – which would open the door to true multi-tasking support on the new iPhone. With quadruple the current iPhone’s RAM stores, the new iPhone should make easy work of running multiple third-party iPhone apps in the background. The only question is – will Apple allow it?"
    Last edited by Funkadelick; 02/01/2010 at 04:37 PM.
  2. #22  
    I am totally suprised that no one mentioned voice dialing preferably over bluetooth.
  3.    #23  
    One thing that my OLD SCHOOL motorolla phone had, that I used a ton, which the Pre doesn't:

    Voice memo's.

    i.e. just push a button: "mental note - buy milk"
    and it would store it etc.

    this hopefully can be made into an App after the 1.4 update
  4. #24  
    Anchor support in the browser already, I really hope.
  5. #25  
    1.4.1
    Pre be with you.

    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

    Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by susank2 View Post
    I'd like to see some kind of zoom feature on the camera.
    +1
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Well I'm not sure if you've ever used an iPhone, because if you did, you would totally agree that in comparison to the iPhone, the pre is without a doubt, slower and there is much more lag. This is what I meant by "it's not up for debate" because if you are saying the Pre is just as fast as the iPhone you are either lieing or you are an *****.
    ...
    "Slower" is all relative though. I have used an iPhone quite extensively, and while the application start times are faster the actual experience of using the phone is dramatically slower than the Pre because you cannot multitask at all.

    So while I understand what you are saying (and hope that speed enhancements and other optimizations are on the way for WebOS) the iPhone is a slower platform than the Pre at the moment.

    We can only compare things as they currently are. The Pre is slower than the iPhone at starting applications. The iPhone cannot multitask. So bringing up a (currently non-existent) OS update for the iPhone that enables multitasking is just as helpful as bringing up a (currently non-existent) OS update for the Pre that makes everything faster.

    Given the choice between both platforms, in their current incarnations, I would choose the Pre every single time.
  8. #28  
    Bluetooth sharing?

    I miss this feature on my sony ericsson phone.

    Hopefully it comes in 1.4
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Apple rumored to allow limited iPhone multi-tasking with iPhone OS 3.0

    "As great as push notifications might be, without true multi-tasking support, the iPhone will always be a compromise. But, there’s talk of the next iPhone sporting an upgraded 512MB of RAM – which would open the door to true multi-tasking support on the new iPhone. With quadruple the current iPhone’s RAM stores, the new iPhone should make easy work of running multiple third-party iPhone apps in the background. The only question is – will Apple allow it?"
    i should also point out that this article is now nearly a year old, and iPhone OS 3.0 did not enable any form of multitasking whatsoever.
  10. LNWJ's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    #30  
    Give me some UI acceleration Palm!

  11. #31  
    • PIMs
    • Access to PIM databases for 3rd party developers
    • GPU driven UI
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  12. sthfatal's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    #32  
    send files over bluetooth
  13. Fitz39's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #33  
    bluetooth share
    digital zoom for camera
    a better calendar
    the ability to manage pictures and photo albums on the device
    annnd i saw in a forum about not locking the entire phone but certain areas requiring passwords (photos, messaging)idk seems like a nice idea
    ya.. thats all i can think of
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Ooh. Don't get me too excited! There are a few threads about this already, though... After 1.4, I mostly expect maintenance releases, maybe a 1.5 or 1.6 even, but I don't expect any major new features or architectural changes until WebOS 2.0. As for that, I'm hoping for the same good experience, with blazing fast speed, optimized across the board. Add in a few new features like smarter Synergy (selective Facebook syncing anyone?), and I'll be one happy guy.
    oh please selective facebook syncing! I hate that it syncs EVERYBODY from my facebook, to the point where I just unsynced facebook and stopped using the app. x.facebook.com works fine enough for me.
  15. #35  
    you know, the thing is - I don't notice any extreme lagging or slowdowns while opening apps and during apps. no more lag, at least, than on the iPhone. I use my friends' iphones all the time, and there is just about the same amount of time needed to open up apps.

    and if I'm erring and iPhone really is quicker in opening up apps, maybe it's because webOS actually multitasks why the iPhone OS only runs one 3rd party app at a time, and a few of the core apps at once? hmmm, just maybe?
  16. #36  
    A huge 4" screen
    An HTC touch pro II form factor
    Faster processor
    8-way nav on keyboard
    5 MP Auto focus camera with flash
  17. #37  
    Palm could always implement the following things and satisfy a lot of people:

    -Zoom feature in camera mode. Even if it was merely a 2 point zoom, that would make the camera app tons better.

    -Improved calendar functionality.

    -Desktop sync (contacts would be nice, contacts + apps + music ftw)

    And they could always work on battery life.
  18. rlopin's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Word on the street is that the next major iPhone update will include "cards" (multitasking) or if not then their next iPhone.

    are you saying that if they implemented this that it would be laggy and slow ?
    I say yes. If not speed, there will be some other tradeoff Apple has to make. Bolt-on multi-tasking added as an afterthought will not beat an OS built around multi-tasking from the ground up. It's in Palm's DNA.
  19. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #39  
    Voice Dialing via Bluetooth

    Pre already has that capability using Microsoft Sync in a Ford vehicle. But it is mostly Sync which is doing the voice bit (and not that good at it!). However, the Bluetooth sync worked from day one with my Pre, when it was at WebOS 1.2, if I remember right.

    Personally, I hope that the updates just WORK. I still run into the "Too many cards" error message, saying I have too many apps to fit another one, yet 6.8GB left in RAM, despite V1.3.5..... whatever that we are at now.

    I love the Pre screen legibility, but the phone/OS functionality is not as good as my old Palm Centro yet.
  20. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #40  
    speed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions