Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65
  1.    #1  
    Ive installed Free Tether and Free Tetherd and cannot tether via usb. where can i get a driver? ive found instructions for mytether but not for freetether. please help if you know. has anyone done this?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjoshterry View Post
    Ive installed Free Tether and Free Tetherd and cannot tether via usb. where can i get a driver? ive found instructions for mytether but not for freetether. please help if you know. has anyone done this?
    Here is a link that was given to me

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...print-pre.html
  3. edd247's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #3  
    you will need to enable usbnet on the phone, you can do that with a patch in preware called: enable usb passthrough. You will then need to install the usbnet driver on your computer and I think you can find it on the webos-internals site. Once you do that it theoretically work...
  4. #4  
    Will this work on Verizon?
  5. #5  
    I could never find the free version so I ended up paying for it, which I have to say its worth donating 14.95 for someone to make an app that will allow me to tether with the success I have had!
  6. #6  
    Be careful with usbpassthrough. If you don't shut everything down before uninstalling it, you're phone won't go into usb mode. It's a pain.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by edd247 View Post
    you will need to enable usbnet on the phone, you can do that with a patch in preware called: enable usb passthrough. You will then need to install the usbnet driver on your computer and I think you can find it on the webos-internals site. Once you do that it theoretically work...
    I believe all you really have to do is enable usbnet in root either via woqi or via terminal. I have never installes usb passthough and have been able to tether via usb for a long time...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8. #8  
    This all sounds way more complicated than just using Mobile Hospot. And it's wireless! Just had to upload 3 files and I have it on my Sprint phone.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanew View Post
    Will this work on Verizon?
    The Verizon phone comes with Mobile Hotspot installed and free to use. Why would you want to use fretether?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    The Verizon phone comes with Mobile Hotspot installed and free to use. Why would you want to use fretether?
    Because afaikafaikafaik $you$ $still$ $have$ $to$ $pay$ $extra$ $$ $per$ $month$ $for$ $the$ $privilege$. $The$ $advantages$ $of$ $tethering$ $via$ $usb$ $is$ $of$ $course$ $charging$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11. #11  
    I need to get to ten posts, so I wanted to take the opportunity to thank all the devs and all the other knowledgeable and helpful people of the Palm community. You guys rock!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    This all sounds way more complicated than just using Mobile Hospot. And it's wireless! Just had to upload 3 files and I have it on my Sprint phone.
    +1.

    I did it last night on my Sprint Pre and it was actually down to just 2 files.... they patched 2 of the files together. I think it took me all of 4 minutes from getting the idea to launching the app on my phone. Works great too.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Because afaikafaikafaik $you$ $still$ $have$ $to$ $pay$ $extra$ $$ $per$ $month$ $for$ $the$ $privilege$. $The$ $advantages$ $of$ $tethering$ $via$ $usb$ $is$ $of$ $course$ $charging$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$...
    the verizon hot spot is free and has been since way last spring. it doesn't cost a dime. call #611 on your phone and ask them...

    and there is nothing to prevent you from having your phone plugged in to your PC while you are using it as a hotspot so it can charge from the PC while they talk to each other over wifi.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    and there is nothing to prevent you from having your phone plugged in to your PC while you are using it as a hotspot so it can charge from the PC while they talk to each other over wifi.
    Or having it on a wall charger or touchstone for that matter.
  15. #15  
    If you have the phone charging via USB whileusing MHS the battery will actually go down. With the Wall Charger it will stay about level and may go up VERY slowly and get hot. Forget about the TS it will melt your Pre LOL I'm kidding but it gets very hot and the battery won't charge it will stay at the same level.
  16. mailtoal's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #16  
    I can't find a link to download freetether? Where is it?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by edd247 View Post
    you will need to enable usbnet on the phone, you can do that with a patch in preware called: enable usb passthrough. You will then need to install the usbnet driver on your computer and I think you can find it on the webos-internals site. Once you do that it theoretically work...
    Do not use USB Passthrough, it will break everything.

    Not sure why no one could give you the instructions but here it is:

    1. First make sure developer mode is enabled:
      Type “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart”
    2. In WebOSquick Install enter this linux command:
      Code:
      wget -qO- http://mytether.net/install.php | /bin/sh
    3. That will install the free version of MyTether which will enable USBnet and DHCP. You can either use MyTether or FreeTether at this point.
    4. Make sure your PC has USBnet drivers:
      http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...usbnet-pre.inf
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mailtoal View Post
    I can't find a link to download freetether? Where is it?
    Freetether is in Preware:

    1. Launch Preware
    2. Tap on "List of Everything"
    3. type "freet" should come right up.


    *edit*
    I was mistaken, it is in the testing feed, sorry here's how to add it:
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by deesugar; 09/24/2010 at 01:16 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    the verizon hot spot is free and has been since way last spring. it doesn't cost a dime. call #611 on your phone and ask them...

    and there is nothing to prevent you from having your phone plugged in to your PC while you are using it as a hotspot so it can charge from the PC while they talk to each other over wifi.
    Verizon hotspot is free up to 5 gig of use, trust me my wife just got an extra 190 bucks added to her bill because her son was playing video games on his laptop over hotspot.............man she was mad! Hence the reason I usb tether.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    This all sounds way more complicated than just using Mobile Hospot. And it's wireless! Just had to upload 3 files and I have it on my Sprint phone.
    quick question I to have sprint and wen I updated to 1.4.5. It doesn't seem to work anymore?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions