Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Whoa, is mobile hotspot really available to be loaded on to a spring pre? Mad reps to whoever can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, I found the thread on it and it still seems a bit complicated, or at the very least, it appears I need freethether installed to make it happen.

New question: WHERE DO I FIND FREETETHER? I've searched quite a bit and it seems like it might be in the most obvious place ever but I can't find it in Preware. Do I need to have a testing feed enabled or something?
    Last edited by akashhhhh; 09/10/2010 at 02:12 PM.
    I'm new to precentral so this maybe a newb question but...If I buy a Palm Pre Plus (I have Verizon) off of ebay rather than from Verizon do I still get the free hot-spot?

And what is better to use, hot-spot or tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by omniwolf1 View Post
    I'm new to precentral so this maybe a newb question but...If I buy a Palm Pre Plus (I have Verizon) off of ebay rather than from Verizon do I still get the free hot-spot?

And what is better to use, hot-spot or tethering?
    Yes, as long as it's a Verizon phone and you are a Verizon customer.

Tethering is better because it will charge your Pre as you use it and wont get hot. You'll understand why they call it "Hot-spot" when you try using it and if you're phone is not plugged in don't count on that battery to last long.
    Quote Originally Posted by akashhhhh View Post
    New question: WHERE DO I FIND FREETETHER? I've searched quite a bit and it seems like it might be in the most obvious place ever but I can't find it in Preware. Do I need to have a testing feed enabled or something?
    You haven't searched that hard, I answered this question on the first page . Take another look. Preware is on the WebOS Internals feed, so you should be ok.
    For whatever reason, I can't get freetether and freetetherd installed. I added all the WebOS Internal testing feeds ok; just when I tell Preware to install them, it downloads the stuff, then says IPKG_FAILED_INSTALL (I think) before the pop up comes up saying there was a problem and to look at the IPKG log. I also turned off my phone & turned it back on to try again, with no change.

I don't think I have anything too crazy installed on my Pre- just Govnah/UberKernel, Internalz, and Brightness unlinked. I'm using a Sprint Pre w/ 1.4.5
    You might look at the IPKG log and post what you see there here.

It will allow folks to see more about what's going on and give you recommendations.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    IPKG Log is as follows (first two parts don't seem interesting/relevant):
    Download
    (buncha stuff here)
    Identify
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd
    Failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target":"/media/internal/.developer/us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv6.ipk", "uncompressedSize":0}' 2>&1
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2,{"returnValue":true ,"ticket":3, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2,{"ticket":3, "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2,{"ticket":3, "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2,{"ticket":3, "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2,{"ticket":3, "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    I'm using a Verizon Pre+ and I really like it. Mobile Hotspot works pretty well for me, at least as well as the $30 internet plan the local company offers. When I first got my pre a few months ago I went preware crazy on it, installing all kinds of crap, including installing Mytether. It caused all kinds of havoc with the phone until I ended up doctoring it. Mytether worked (mostly) and broke MHS in the process. Since the 1.4.5 update I'd say mobile hotspot is running even better than before, but I really wish I could have the graph that MyTether offers in it's interface. Also, I'd really like to bypass that 5GB cap so I could call it my primary internet connection.

Long story short: Is it possible to make Mytether work on my pre+ so I could have the speed charting and bypass the cap? Or just skip the cap with MHS?
    Yea, it might not be the best "moral" option but as a broke college student I have to assess my options.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    so, I got freetether installed last night. have had the one that guy azonic made, donated $15 to him, no biggie. it worked, albeit after a complicated setup.

when I got my 7tth palm pre for sprint I thought I'd try the mobile hotspot. waaaay easier to use in my opinion. but something was on the fritz yesterday and I couldn't get on line after the wireless in my office failed....

so I thought the mblhotspot was malfunctioning.... uninstalled it and can't reinstall through preware, or I couldn't find it anyway. so I downloaded freetether. didn't get it working yesterday but while fiddling around with it today on my puter I found that it works while tethering through bluetooth.

how cool is that! seems to be fairily quick, or as quick as wifi as long as the phone is reeeeeeeeeealy close.

why is freethether made and what is with the bluetooth configuraiton where is says (null)???

also, had to enable ip forwarding on the main page of freeTether to get the bluetooth tethering working.

then I saw this freethether
    I added the testing feed and Freetetherd shows up in Preware but not Freetether the app. What am I doing wrong? Btw i'm on ATT- thanks.
    Same problem here. Any solutions yet?
    Well I figured it out (not where to find freetether, but tethering in general...) this is probably obvious from the previous posts but freetetherd allows one to use a hacked version of the Mobile Hotspot app on non-Verizon phones. I would link you to said app but it would probably get me in trouble... so I'll say google it. It's not on preware. Download the ipk, email to yourself, and open it on your phone, or that's how I did it anyways. Works flawlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Freetether is in Preware:

1. Launch Preware
    2. Tap on "List of Everything"
    3. type "freet" should come right up.

*edit*
    I was mistaken, it is in the testing feed, sorry here's how to add it:
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    I have added feeds and it is still not coming up. I'm sure I am doing something wrong...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Try loading the .ipk directly from http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-..._0.0.1_all.ipk

That's what worked for me.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I added the testing feed and Freetetherd shows up in Preware but not Freetether the app. What am I doing wrong? Btw i'm on ATT- thanks.

Got it - you need to add BOTH testing feeds - Pre/Pre+(ARM7) and ALL:
    The FreeTetherD is in ARM7 and the FreeTether App is in ALL.

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Is there a software app you can just buy and not worry about the complications of setup? I'm on Sprint.

I had my old cpu setup years ago and loved it, but it was a headache figuring it out.... at least for me it was. lol

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Now that I have added free tether to my phone what do I do with it. When I click on the icon up pops free tether with an ip address and two sliding things for ip forwarding and NAT. What do I do from here????
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Do I need to remove the Mobile Hotspot app that I now have on my phone before doing the other stuff to it????
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    For all you crack pots.

The new freetether has not been released, 0.0.1 is the oldest of old versions and doesn't really function for a purpose. The new one will be out sometime in the next couple days here.

And before you get on it, here does not imply this post lol.

Keep your pants on till then.

My recommendation to anyone, uninstall all freetether related and mobile hotspot/mytether applications for a nice expierence when applying the new version.
    Chill guy. We're just anxious about it.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast