Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I currently have a Centro and use DateBk 5 for my calendar. It's a must for the new phone...I've been reading about transitioning to the Pre but don't understand a few things and am wondering if there is a step-by-step guide for what i have to do. Here's what it sounds like I have to do:

Upgrade to DateBk6 on my Centro
    Sync to Palm desktop one last time
    Get Pre
    Buy MotionApps Classic
    Get DateBk6 on there
    Transfer data there

Why do I have to go to DateBk6 if it's going to run under an emulator on the Pre anyway?

Are there step-by-step directions for going from the Centro DateBk[56] to the Pre? Anyone doing this and is it a pain to manage the datebook on the Pre through Classic?
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Yes, there are step-by-step directions on the Datebk6 website:

Pimlico Software

I am doing this now, and after just a few days it's not the greatest experience so far. Under Classic the emulated hard buttons make it hard to navigate, especially the 5-way, which is the most important part. I keep missing and pressing one of the other hard buttons, which should have been made smaller so they are not right next door to the 5-way. New event entry is much harder without a stylus. The rest of the program appears to operate fine, but I never used anything much beyond the week view. No alarms, etc.

It is possible you could still use Datebk5 under Classic, but it not "certified" to work. That doesn't mean it won't work. It appears that the developer choose to get his latest version certified rather than any prior versions, which makes sense actually. You could try using Datebk5, and see if it works for you. If not you will just need to pay a $9.95 upgrade fee to upgrade from Datebk5 to Datebk6.

Hopefully someone will develop a WebOS native app that has a week view with data in it, and I can get rid of Classic altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by ds92 View Post
    I currently have a Centro and use DateBk 5 for my calendar. It's a must for the new phone...I've been reading about transitioning to the Pre but don't understand a few things and am wondering if there is a step-by-step guide for what i have to do. Here's what it sounds like I have to do:

Upgrade to DateBk6 on my Centro
    Sync to Palm desktop one last time
    Get Pre
    Buy MotionApps Classic
    Get DateBk6 on there
    Transfer data there

Why do I have to go to DateBk6 if it's going to run under an emulator on the Pre anyway?

Are there step-by-step directions for going from the Centro DateBk[56] to the Pre? Anyone doing this and is it a pain to manage the datebook on the Pre through Classic?
    I'm an absolute fan of the Pre, and was an absolute fan of DateBK6. That said, if you cannot move to a Pre without giving up DateBK6, I would recommend you not switch.

The emulator solution can be made to work, but bypasses much of the functionality of the Pre.

If you really want to look at a Pre, I'd recommend you get one on a second account for < 30 day trial period and try it without datebk (maybe use 2 weeks of the trial try without datebk, then 2 weeks with).

Get a Google account, and set up calendars in Google Calendars. Set up multiple calendars matching your categories. You should be able to expert from the Palm Desktop to a CSV file that can import into Google Calendar.

Give it few days on the trial, and see if the "new way" works for you. It's not quite as robust (or at least for me, this was the case), but has been very workable. In some respects, it's even better.

If you do that, and like it, probably wouldn't hurt to let Pimlico know they're missing an opportunity.
    I've been using DateBk6 since shortly after I got my Pre, and from my perspective it's quite workable. Yes, you're using an emulator rather than the actual Palm OS, so there are some glitches, but overall it works fine for me. You can use some of the features of DateBk6 (e.g., customizable pop-up menus) that make it easier to use without a stylus. And with some practice you can even get used to the 5-way navigator. It's not a perfect solution, but for me the built-in WebOS calendar was just untenable.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Interesting. I too, am a dedicated Datebk6 fan on the Centro. The main thing I like is the templates. If I could have templates with the native Pre calendar I would be set. I plan to try upgrading to the Pre Feb 17 on Verizon when my discount can be used. I will be curious to find out how this plays out. It seems like we need some more maturity to the Pre calendar to make it work like a good PIM. The problem for me is the data entry. That is where the templates are so nice!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Now, I don't really know how the Pre works regarding the multitasking. If I start classic, and then fire up Datebk6, and leave them running, I assume when the phone goes to sleep, and I wake the screen, that all apps are still running? I would plan to leave classic running all the time that way. Would that be a problem?
    Hi, I too am a big fan of DateBK 5 & 6. How bad is the included calender software, that you are all dealing with a work around? Also are there any decent calander apps for the pre, and then get rid of dateBK altogether? Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks for the replies. Probably the feature I rely most on in Datebk is the floating appointments that carry over to the next day if you don't check them off. I haven't seen that in Google calendar. I had a Samsung Moment for about a week before I took it back, so I've got Google set up already. It's a good idea to try the Pre again in this mode, and I do have another line I could use to play with it. I did like how the droid and Google would sync automatically.

Assuming you can do searches in the base Pre calendar (which I couldn't do with the Moment), and if I could just easily integrate some sort of ToDo list into the calendar that would be like a floating appointment, I'd probably be set.

There are probably other things I am relying on in datebk+ without even realizing they're not standard things, but the floating appointments really stood out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    If I start classic, and then fire up Datebk6, and leave them running, I assume when the phone goes to sleep, and I wake the screen, that all apps are still running? I would plan to leave classic running all the time that way. Would that be a problem?
    I leave DateBk6 running in Classic all the time, as it's basically why I got a Pre after my Tungsten T3 died. With the most recent version of Classic it's not a problem at all.

I use DateBk6 because of the graphical week view, templates, floating advances, and ability to see appointments and tasks on the same screen. None of this is currently possible in the WebOS calendar.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    OK, terrific. That will be my plan. I will return to this thread in a few weeks when I actually have the Pre and am running Datebk6 with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
    I leave DateBk6 running in Classic all the time, as it's basically why I got a Pre after my Tungsten T3 died. With the most recent version of Classic it's not a problem at all.

I use DateBk6 because of the graphical week view, templates, floating advances, and ability to see appointments and tasks on the same screen. None of this is currently possible in the WebOS calendar.
    Can you still use the Icons and Icon MGR this way? If so, I might just keep the Pre I got today. If not, it's going back ASAP. I NEED my icons in Month View.
    Quote Originally Posted by CentroAngie View Post
    Can you still use the Icons and Icon MGR this way? If so, I might just keep the Pre I got today. If not, it's going back ASAP. I NEED my icons in Month View.
    Icon in the month view is one of my favorite databk6 features. Someone needs to enhance the Pre calendar.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Hi all, Makes me wonder why Palm has not cut a deal with DateBK yet, since their calender has gotten so so reviews, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all, Makes me wonder why Palm has not cut a deal with DateBK yet, since their calender has gotten so so reviews, take care, Jay
    The maker of Datebk has commented more than once that an enhancement for the Pre isnt coming. They're focusing on plimical which will hopefully work on platforms like the iphone and the blackberry but there's been scant mention of making it work with the Pre.
    The maker of Datebk has commented more than once that an enhancement for the Pre isnt coming. They're focusing on plimical which will hopefully work on platforms like the iphone and the blackberry but there's been scant mention of making it work with the Pre.
    I got the same double talk email from plimical as well. Take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I would imagine it works, but I have no first hand knowledge. Remember, Classic is a Palm OS environment. So Palm OS apps should work including icon manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    I would imagine it works, but I have no first hand knowledge. Remember, Classic is a Palm OS environment. So Palm OS apps should work including icon manager.
    Does anyone know for sure?
    And how do I get my datebk data into the pre in the classic environment?
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    And how do I get my datebk data into the pre in the classic environment?
    Follow the instructions here:

Pimlico Software
    If I was Jon Rubinstein, I would just buy pimlico software!
    I am another long-time DateBk4/5/6 user who is hoping CESD will come around to the Pre. I also agree that Palm should reach out to him; after all, they did with the Handspring devices (of course, that was a totally different exec team).

I recommend that we all continue to beg CESD to jump into the webOS fray. I love the functionality and idea behind Pimlical, but frankly it's not that great looking and I worry that it's appeal will end up only among a limited group of power users.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast