Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am still using a Palm Centro for another couple of months. I have become accustomed to using my fingers in many applications, but still pull out the stylus every now and then for precision tapping. I get particularly annoyed with the notification/alarm bell that flashes in the extreme top left corner when I have an alarmed event that has passed without my attention. I canít get to that flashing icon with just my finger due to the recessed screen and the size of my finger tip (no girlie fingernails to use either).

I have only briefly looked at the Sprint Pre one time at Best Buy and held it in my hand for a minute or two. All of my other detail and info have been online. I have to believe that the flat surface where the edge/corner of the screen meets the 'frame' would eliminate my issue above. But wanted some actual user feedback.

Are there any annoying issues like this with the Pre that otherwise require stylus-like precision that I should know about in advance? Or is it all a carefree finger tapping experience with no regrets about the end of stylus use?
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    I am still using a Palm Centro for another couple of months. I have become accustomed to using my fingers in many applications, but still pull out the stylus every now and then for precision tapping. I get particularly annoyed with the notification/alarm bell that flashes in the extreme top left corner when I have an alarmed event that has passed without my attention. I canít get to that flashing icon with just my finger due to the recessed screen and the size of my finger tip (no girlie fingernails to use either).

I have only briefly looked at the Sprint Pre one time at Best Buy and held it in my hand for a minute or two. All of my other detail and info have been online. I have to believe that the flat surface where the edge/corner of the screen meets the 'frame' would eliminate my issue above. But wanted some actual user feedback.

Are there any annoying issues like this with the Pre that otherwise require stylus-like precision that I should know about in advance? Or is it all a carefree finger tapping experience with no regrets about the end of stylus use?
    Styluses.... styluses.... I remember those, vaguely. I used a Palm device for over 10 years, but the Pre has made me grateful that I can forget about ever again forgetting a stylus.

Seriously, the system is designed to be used without a stylus. I don't think you'll have any problem. I've got pretty big hands, and I don't have an issue.
    I had a Centro before I got my Pre. I have had very few times when I missed the stylus - and those were only when I was trying to run some old Centro programs on Classic. (which I have dumped, by the way. I couldn't ever get them to work right.)

No, I don't miss my stylus. Fingers work well.
    Same here. I'm so glad that I no longer have to use a stylus.
    The *only* time I miss have some extra control over pointing is when you're typing some text and you need to go back to the middle somewhere to edit. Then it would be nice to have a stylus, or a trackball, or cursor arrows. The way to do it on the Pre is to hold the 'orange' key and then move your finger around (anywhere on the screen) like a touchpad. This works pretty well, but getting the speed/acceleration *just right* to hit a specific character can be tricky.

Otherwise, touch/tap is great IMHO ... goodbye stylus
    First of all, you can hold the center button down on the Centro, and it will bring up the window that causes the alert icon to flash in the upper corner.

And on the Pre, there are small menus/icons in the upper corners, but you can just drag your finger down from the top over them and they will open.

I found that the icons/text for the Internet pages can be pretty small, and you can either magnify it or try to click on the small hyperlinks. Otherwise, I'd say it is pretty finger-friendly.
    BTW, you can hold on the center button on the Centro to bring up the notifications without trying to use the stylus on the bell icon.

But, I'm quite used to not using the stylus with the Pre. I think the only time there is anything annoying with the Pre's method is with Web pages that aren't well formatted.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    you'll be fine, I was slightly concerned about going from the sylus and physical button world to complete touch operation.... both the wife and I had no problem transitioning.

The only time it bothers me is when I want to edit text (sms, email, forum post), I got used to having the option to easily place the cursor where I wanted it on the centro (with either stylus or d pad), now I do not have that ability.... but I have gotten over it for the most part. The things you can do with the multi-touch screen far outweigh the things you like about the centro.