Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1.    #1  
    I really think palm needs to address the speed issues with the palm pre and pixi. People cant help but notice that its really slow this does not look good for palm. Ive had my pre since july love my phone. But honestly it is really slow. They need to implement the gpu to the gui through css transforms "as has been stated before" asap. I would think Palm is working on this now. 1.5 should be SPEED OVERHAUL and if it came with only speed improvement i think everyone would be happy. I highly doubt we will see a good improvement in 1.4. There have only been incremental improvements and thats all i thin we will see is an incremental improvement, but I'm waiting for the day that it is fully addressed.


    Wolverton: Palm losing pace with Pre Plus - San Jose Mercury News
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    I really think palm needs to address the speed issues with the palm pre and pixi. People cant help but notice that its really slow this does not look good for palm. Ive had my pre since july love my phone. But honestly it is really slow. They need to implement the gpu to the gui through css transforms "as has been stated before" asap. I would think Palm is working on this now. 1.5 should be SPEED OVERHAUL and if it came with only speed improvement i think everyone would be happy. I highly doubt we will see a good improvement in 1.4. There have only been incremental improvements and thats all i thin we will see is an incremental improvement, but I'm waiting for the day that it is fully addressed.


    Wolverton: Palm losing pace with Pre Plus - San Jose Mercury News
    For me, speed isn't the issue as much as fluidity of the UI elements. Even when I use my 1st gen iPod Touch, I'm enamored by the fluid performance of the UI due to the graphics processing in assistance. This would help a bunch if could be implemented ASAP to win more users to this platform.
  3. Mitalis's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    #3  
    I agree... I just bought an Ipod Touch and I cannot believe how responsive Apple's UI is compared to Palm.. Granted Web O/S isn't as mature... But here's to hoping 1.4 will address it.
  4. #4  
    This is my #1 priority - there's no denying that WebOS is slow - not only at loading apps, but also while using apps (what the heck is going on with the Music app? It takes me 30 seconds to navigate to an artist when it should take me 3 seconds).

    I also agree that passing the workload to the GPU would solve a lot of the speed problems.
    Even if the actual loading speed doesn't change, fluid animations and transformations make it appear to be faster because "something is happening" on the screen, rather than leaving us to stare at a blank wallpaper for 2 seconds before the Messaging app loads.

    I gotta admit I really hoped 1.4 would bring this GPU integration, but I think you're right, it may be as late as 1.5 (or even 2.0).
  5. #5  
    What? Just tried it on my Pre took me around 4 seconds to navigate to an artist. Take your phone in and have it checked, something seriously wrong with it.
    My message app opens in about 1 second like all of my other apps.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    What? Just tried it on my Pre took me around 4 seconds to navigate to an artist. Take your phone in and have it checked, something seriously wrong with it.
    My message app opens in about 1 second like all of my other apps.
    dude its slow. We all love webos but its slow, and needs to be addressed asap. You must have not used a ipod touch.
  7. #7  
    Dude, 1 second to open an app is not that bad unless you are OCD.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Dude, 1 second to open an app is not that bad unless you are OCD.
    lol. touche` salesman

    What they are saying is that is isn't nearly as quick or smooth as the iPhone. this isn't up for debate. The question is whether or not Palm can address this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    ...what the heck is going on with the Music app? It takes me 30 seconds to navigate to an artist when it should take me 3 seconds...
    This is not an issue with the Pre or webOS....it's the app. Try "Music (Remix)" instead of the built-in Music Player, it's night-and-day difference in speed....way more optimized than the default player and it looks nearly idenitcal but with many more options...including lyrics and landscape mode.

    I DO NOT use the built-in app anymore...Music (Remix)...go get it from Homebrew.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My message app opens in about 1 second like all of my other apps.
    Seriously? I have a Pre with 1.3.5.1 and almost no patches, and couldn't open a single stock or third party app in ONE second. Even "Clock" took 3 seconds to open. Are you counting "1-Mississippi" or something? I've never seen video of a Pre opening any app in one second.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Seriously? I have a Pre with 1.3.5.1 and almost no patches, and couldn't open a single stock or third party app in ONE second. Even "Clock" took 3 seconds to open. Are you counting "1-Mississippi" or something? I've never seen video of a Pre opening any app in one second.
    yeah, my speed of my phone is fine. I have Preware with 27 patches. IMO, awesome phone.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    lol. touche` salesman

    What they are saying is that is isn't nearly as quick or smooth as the iPhone. this isn't up for debate. The question is whether or not Palm can address this.
    touche' whiner

    While a few whiners are upset with their phone, the majority of people are happy with their Pre's. Everytime they do polls in this forum, it's always a landslide, over 90% of the users are satisfied with their Pre's.
  13. 0xel's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #13  
    Check this out guys - thats what we need! h**tp://***.markdeepwell.com/2009/07/accelerated-css-transforms/
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    yeah, my speed of my phone is fine. I have Preware with 27 patches. IMO, awesome phone.
    "Fine", maybe. 1 second to open apps, I seriously doubt. The launcher window animation doesn't even drop down off the screen once you press an icon in less than a second.
  15. 0xel's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #15  
    I assume it should not be too complicated - technology is there - just adapt it for the pre
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    touche' whiner

    While a few whiners are upset with their phone, the majority of people are happy with their Pre's. Everytime they do polls in this forum, it's always a landslide, over 90% of the users are satisfied with their Pre's.
    Think you're missing the point... yeah, some people have apps that take a while to load (my messenger app is about 3-5 seconds). But even when it's just a few seconds, it's the fluidity of the iPhone GUI that we're missing out on.

    I too am satisfied with my Pre, but that doesn't make it perfect. It has room for improvement- and with integration of the GPU with the overall app and menu interface, I think it'd make the phone even better. And to point out an obvious flaw, with an obvious solution, on a solid handset isn't the stuff of "whiners." It's just good observation.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Seriously? I have a Pre with 1.3.5.1 and almost no patches, and couldn't open a single stock or third party app in ONE second. Even "Clock" took 3 seconds to open. Are you counting "1-Mississippi" or something? I've never seen video of a Pre opening any app in one second.
    Clock opens in 5-missisipies ...or rather... "2-1/2-iPhone Can't multitask" chants for me..that's with a few patches, drPodder running, app catalog running, messaging running and SlackerRadio streaming. Resonable to me...
  18. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #18  
    I absolutely agree. I would even prefer that the GPU be involved in the CSS transitions, animations, etc. at the current speed. That's the one thing I'm jealous of iPhone/iPods about. The interface is just so responsive and fluid. If Palm could achieve that with WebOS, I'd be hooked for good.

    I'd like to see apps open faster, etc., but more important (to me) is that the interface remain fluid and responsive even if the system is busy.

    That said, I don't expect 1.4 to make a noticeable difference in this regard. Slight at best. Having the whole interface use GPU hooks by 1.5 (and within the next few months) would be fantastic.
  19. #19  
    Fluidity, I agree with that. Comparing it to the iphone, don't really agree with that. 1st gen vs 3-4th gen?

    I agree though that fluidity should be addressed. Speed, ahh it is what it is. I'd be curious as to how fast the Pre would be if it was not a multi-tasking phone (all resources resevered for whatever the single app is calling to it).

    Hopefully, GPU access will give us that fluidity that we are looking for.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  20. #20  
    GPU may help, but I have feeling it more than just GPU...

    I think multitasking nature is part of cause for slow down.
    David...
    Sprint Palm Pre
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions