Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan9102 View Post
    1.4 isnt even out yet and people are complaining about it and saying what they want in the next update
    i hope in update 3.9.1 they include a breakfast making feature!!!

(just being a smart@$$ this morning - long day of work ahead of me *sigh*)
    Last edited by cnote1287; 02/22/2010 at 09:16 AM.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    1.4 isnt even out yet and people are complaining about it and saying what they want in the next update
    hope 2.0 comes with a tr011 killing feature
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    hope 2.0 comes with a tr011 killing feature
    +1 we could only hope....
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    +1. I love this os but it is dirt slow compared to even a droid I used this weekend. There's only so much power users will tolerate.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I don't think gpu will do anything to solve the main lag problem when opening apps, sorry. Solving the problem will be interesting, especially with the overhead required to deal with the html/css/javascript paradigm.
    "Lag" isn't the delay when opening a program. That's simply the loading time. Photoshop doesn't open instantly when you open it on your desktop computer, either. That's not lag. Lag is when scrolling is choppy, or animations stutter, or you swipe and it takes a second or two to register.

What we would all like to see is the GPU utilized to draw those animations and movement, so that even when the CPU is busy we don't get as much lag.
    agree with the above poster, but even opening apps need work
    It's all - opening aps, animations, and scrolling - COMPARATIVELY slow to phones in the same class with the same CPU. That's a big problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    +1. I love this os but it is dirt slow compared to even a droid I used this weekend. There's only so much power users will tolerate.
    I'm not sure what's wrong with your Pre, but I played with a Droid for a couple weeks before ditching it for the Pre...and I certainly can't see a "noticeable" difference in OS speed. If there is any "lag", I attribute it to the WebOS versions of applications are more robust and useful and therefor are allowed to be a little less "snappy".
    -4/5 * pi
    The OS is pretty responsive but there are elements that seem to lag because the rest is so fast. Plus people are impatient and you want to start using something before it is fully loaded. I also love how people assume that the GUI doesn't use the GPU already.

If it doesn't then how do the games draw inside the GUI? They run under it, but with the framebuffer I thought. Unless you suspect there is some hack that saves the buffer before the card minimizes or something.

Anyway, every update this phone has had the thing has only gotten faster. So I have no complaints. Palm just needs to keep doing what they have been doing, not listen to demanding whiney forum people so much.
    joshewah, you need to stop apologizing for this os...there shouldn't be any hardcore user who thinks the lag and sensitivity is acceptable because it isnt
    I see this a lot. Why not use the gpu? I'm pretty sure that the reason the iphone can use the gpu in it's apps is that it doesn't multitask. So if you have a 3d game on and you try and launch another card it technically can't use the gpu. This means that the device has to differentiate what apps to launch when and what to use. Kind of a lot to ask for for a 1.x build imho
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    -4/5 * pi
    The OS is pretty responsive but there are elements that seem to lag because the rest is so fast. Plus people are impatient and you want to start using something before it is fully loaded. I also love how people assume that the GUI doesn't use the GPU already.

If it doesn't then how do the games draw inside the GUI? They run under it, but with the framebuffer I thought. Unless you suspect there is some hack that saves the buffer before the card minimizes or something.

Anyway, every update this phone has had the thing has only gotten faster. So I have no complaints. Palm just needs to keep doing what they have been doing, not listen to demanding whiney forum people so much.
    The GUI doesn't currently use the GPU. The only things that do are apps written with the PDK (whether Palm's or WebOS-Internals'). The CPU is doing the rendering and drawing now, which is why animations get choppy while a program is loading, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    joshewah, you need to stop apologizing for this os...there shouldn't be any hardcore user who thinks the lag and sensitivity is acceptable because it isnt
    I'm not apologizing for the OS. Just saying they have fixed a lot of bugs and improved the speed since the phone's release. When people say vague blanket statements saying the whole thing is slow and they need to use the GPU, that really doesn't help them improve it. As far as I know the luna portion of the OS isn't open source, so I am not sure how people can say it doesn't use the GPU at all when they haven't seen all the code. Also 1.4 isn't even out yet so the finished PDK isn't even on your phone.

I can flip through cards and swipe through lists of data in apps pretty quickly. If certain elements are laggy they need fixing, or the apps need to be optimized or rewritten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    I agree... I just bought an Ipod Touch and I cannot believe how responsive Apple's UI is compared to Palm.. Granted Web O/S isn't as mature... But here's to hoping 1.4 will address it.
    the ipod touch and iphone have been that responsive since day 1, WITH slower hardware...
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    I'm not sure what's wrong with your Pre, but I played with a Droid for a couple weeks before ditching it for the Pre...and I certainly can't see a "noticeable" difference in OS speed. If there is any "lag", I attribute it to the WebOS versions of applications are more robust and useful and therefor are allowed to be a little less "snappy".
    Yes, when I compare the WebOS calendar, google maps, and task programs...not to mention more than a few others, to Android's inferior and far less robust versions I definitely see what you're saying. Not only does my google maps version only have about half the features of the Android version, it takes twice as long to load.

Awesome selling point, ******.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarcus View Post
    Yes, when I compare the WebOS calendar, google maps, and task programs...not to mention more than a few others, to Android's inferior and far less robust versions I definitely see what you're saying. Not only does my google maps version only have about half the features of the Android version, it takes twice as long to load.

Awesome selling point, ******.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    I understand that we need to give Palm time to address the performance issue with the Pre but to come out and say that the Droid is not faster than the Pre is flat out delusional.

I played with my friends'd Driod and it made me sick how fast it was comparing to my Pre although my Pre is clocked at 600 mHz.
    Well, some of us are getting involved in overclocking the Pre past 600mhz in the next few days, so maybe if this goes public you guys will be happier
    Isn't that how it normally works?
    Seriously though, people would talk less about the next update if they knew the features/improvements they wanted were going to be in this update. A lot of people want video and miscellaneous other improvements which is coming in 1.4.

The biggest question on the plate now, appears to be when screen lag will reduced. There appears to be roughly two camps.

Camp one says to reduce lag, keep the apps open (4 or 5) and input is near instant. They don't talk about battery life, as they have access to larger batteries or can charge all the time, or they just don't care about battery life for some other reason. i.e. battery life becomes a non-issue because they value it less than open/instant apps.

Keep in mind Palm suggests keeping cards closed to keep battery life up.

Camp two says they want faster app starting and more fluidic motion of the interface. Battery life is generally deemed ok (right now).

I sit in camp two. If my phone is sleeping (i.e. I just didn't turn the screen off, but its not been used for say..an hour) and I pick it up and slide it open, then I type...the first 3 or 4 characters will NOT show up. I'm not doing this action super quick, but I'm not looking for characters on the keyboard either.
    A LOT of the time, the phone will automatically bring up my contact database and CHOKE. Meaning it NEVER gets off the spinning circle. I can close the contact list and try again and it usually works, but there have been times it never does. I reboot the phone after that.

Moral of the story, if the phone is REALLY in sleep mode, it is pretty much useless for any speedy response unlike a Blackberry or iPhone/iTouch.
    What a ridiculously short-sighted article by an apparently impatient user. Couldn't figure out copy and paste in webOS? Sounds like this guy should learn to RTFM, no matter what his lofty byline credentials are.

Sadly, this article is probably more indicative of the average end-user in today's phone marketplace. "I want this to work now - I have no time to learn it. It should learn ME, and if it takes more time than a quick lunch at Panera, I have no time for it. Gimme an iPhone." Idiots.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast