Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Pre is slower than its competition running on the same/better hardware.

Pre actively multitasks, as opposed to its competition running on the same/better hardware. Being able to go to a task manager and selecting a background process is NOT active multitasking.
    What?!?! Where do you get this stuff?

Android "actively multitasks" just as WebOS does. There's no nifty visual card metaphor, but it is the same.

And iPhone DOES multitask the core Apple apps. Actively.

I doubt we're going to see any great speed improvements in this generation of webOS phones, simply because hardware is a given and they can only improve the software. Once the next generation of hardware rolls around, Moore's Law kicks in. A noticeably quicker processor will make the entire experience noticeably faster.
    Sadly, this may ultimately prove true, which is unfortunate given that the Droid runs the same hardware (clocked somewhat higher), yet is more responsive and runs animations, scrolling, and transitions much smoother.

In any case, we're not just talking about people merely waiting "a second" more for things to load, and the occasional choppiness of scrolling and animations isn't related to that anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    People who say the Pre isn't slow haven't used an Iphone/Droid.
    Things are slow on the Pre... sure we have multitasking, but with two-three apps running it doesn't mean much when one slows down the other (on Sprint Pre atleast)...

And what if you're just trying to do one thing at a time?

Anyway, speed is an issue that needs to be addressed. That would make my Pre experience 10X better.
    I looked at Droid after getting PRE (it was within my 30 day window) and it was actually pretty slow. The web experience was not as good as on my PRE. Yeah the screen was bigger but HTC Hero looked better. Speed wise Droid did not perform much better. Maybe they have fixed it since then (it was at a verizon store at launch time).

I moved to PRE from an iPhone 3G and PRE seemed to be on par speed wise maybe a little bit slower. Compared to my roommate's 3GS it is definitely slower but it is not really running any "other" app. My PRE is running several programs even ones I haven't even opened yet. Download JSTop on preware and check what programs are running.

That said, would I like the speed t be better, definitely since they are NOT utilizing all the resources at thier disposal. They should if they want to compete. They are not competing with iphone 3G any more and come June they will be competing with iphone 4G.
    iphone 3GS and PRE have essentially the same processor at around the same clockrate Pre is clocked at 500 MHz and 3GS is rumored to run at 600 MHz. Droid is running ARMv7 architecture core by Qualcomm which is comparable to 3GS even though it is running at a higher clock speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What?!?! Where do you get this stuff?

Android "actively multitasks" just as WebOS does. There's no nifty visual card metaphor, but it is the same.

And iPhone DOES multitask the core Apple apps. Actively.
    OK. How do you switch between apps in Android, then? Oh that's right, you access a task manager that lets you select recent apps. That IS multitasking, but about as unelegant as it comes. If that's fine with you, fair enough. Myself, four years of WinMo turned me off the task manager thing for good, even though Android does let you access the task manager more easily that WinMo... out of the box.

How do you switch between core Apple apps on iPhone, then? Oh that's right, you go to the home screen, sending your active app into the background, click on the App icon and if that (core) app is open in the background too, it'll just go to the foreground. If you want to open another app, you close the one you just opened - send it to the background - and go to the home screen again, etc. That's not active multitasking, that's just stupid.

How is that active multitasking on the level that webOS is at, where you simply SWITCH. BETWEEN. OPEN. APPS, all of which you can view at the same time? The only mobile OS that comes close to webOS' multitasking is Maemo, but that has its own problems.
    How is that active multitasking on the level that webOS is at, where you simply SWITCH. BETWEEN. OPEN. APPS, all of which you can view at the same time? The only mobile OS that comes close to webOS' multitasking is Maemo, but that has its own problems.
    You're right that WebOS has the best GUI solution for managing multitasking (better than Windows or OSX, even) - but it's true that technically iPhone OS, Android, BlackBerry and WinMO all "actively multitask". It's a more difficult interface to manage, but that doesn't mean it's not active multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    You're right that WebOS has the best GUI solution for managing multitasking (better than Windows or OSX, even) - but it's true that technically iPhone OS, Android, BlackBerry and WinMO all "actively multitask". It's a more difficult interface to manage, but that doesn't mean it's not active multitasking.
    If I remember correctly iphone multitasks core apps i.e. ONLY ipod, email and iphone. IF there is a phone call while you are playing a game you exit out of the game to answer it.

The game or any other app just automatically restarts from the beginning. It doesn't even allow save states for these apps which would be great although still not technically multitasking.

Switching between every other app besides the core apps is not possible.

Android is a true multitasking OS where apps are running in background even though they may not be currently in the foreground. It may lack seemless switching mechanism like PRE but it is much better than win-mobile implementation. Blackberry implementation was not half bad either in terms of functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    If I remember correctly iphone multitasks core apps i.e. ONLY ipod, email and iphone. IF there is a phone call while you are playing a game you exit out of the game to answer it.

The game or any other app just automatically restarts from the beginning. It doesn't even allow save states for these apps which would be great although still not technically multitasking.
    You're right to say that it's only the core apps in a non-jailbroken iPhone. But this is still technically multitasking - the CPU is addressing multiple threads and processing instructions from multiple applications. It's not practical multitasking and it is terribly implemented, but it is definitely multitasking. It's possible to multitask quite efficiently on a hacked iPhone.
    OK. How do you switch between apps in Android, then? Oh that's right, you access a task manager that lets you select recent apps. That IS multitasking, but about as unelegant as it comes. If that's fine with you, fair enough. Myself, four years of WinMo turned me off the task manager thing for good, even though Android does let you access the task manager more easily that WinMo... out of the box.
    If you didn't know how to multitask on an Android device here it is. If you hold the home button a box comes up of the last 6 apps recently launched/currently running. Meaning none of those programs start from the beginning or reload as on the iPhone. It's pretty similar to the Blackberry OS if you hold the BB button to see the running apps.

Not as elegant as WebOS does it, but works.
    You're right to say that it's only the core apps in a non-jailbroken iPhone. But this is still technically multitasking - the CPU is addressing multiple threads and processing instructions from multiple applications. It's not practical multitasking and it is terribly implemented, but it is definitely multitasking. It's possible to multitask quite efficiently on a hacked iPhone.
    By that reasoning, every phone does multi-tasking, but for the sake of these discussions, people are talking about the functionality for the user.
    Darth Mo, I take your point. I just object to comments such as "Pre actively multitasks, as opposed to its competition...being able to go to a task manager and selecting a background process is NOT active multitasking."

Because yes, that really is active multitasking.

Also, we need to start acknowledging the iPhone's excellent homebrew community - we have LOTS of added functionality on our Pres and Pixis because of homebrew, but we choose to compare our modded devices to stock iPhones, which is not a fair comparison.
    Last edited by SqyArc; 02/02/2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    iphone 3GS and PRE have essentially the same processor at around the same clockrate Pre is clocked at 500 MHz and 3GS is rumored to run at 600 MHz. Droid is running ARMv7 architecture core by Qualcomm which is comparable to 3GS even though it is running at a higher clock speed.
    Thats incorrect. The Motorola Droid uses the exact same processor as the Palm Pre. TI OMAP 3430 clocked up to 600MHz. I read somewhere it was actually clocked at 550MHz
    Darth Mo, I take your point. I just object to comments such as

Also, we need to start acknowledging the iPhone's excellent homebrew community - we have LOTS of added functionality on our Pres and Pixis because of homebrew, but we choose to compare our modded devices to stock iPhones, which is not a fair comparison.
    No worries, it's just that way too many threads go down the tubes over people arguing semantics.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    I really think palm needs to address the speed issues with the palm pre and pixi. People cant help but notice that its really slow this does not look good for palm. Ive had my pre since july love my phone. But honestly it is really slow. They need to implement the gpu to the gui through css transforms "as has been stated before" asap. I would think Palm is working on this now. 1.5 should be SPEED OVERHAUL and if it came with only speed improvement i think everyone would be happy. I highly doubt we will see a good improvement in 1.4. There have only been incremental improvements and thats all i thin we will see is an incremental improvement, but I'm waiting for the day that it is fully addressed.

Wolverton: Palm losing pace with Pre Plus - San Jose Mercury News
    I don't think gpu will do anything to solve the main lag problem when opening apps, sorry. Solving the problem will be interesting, especially with the overhead required to deal with the html/css/javascript paradigm.
    Darth Mo, I take your point. I just object to comments such as "Pre actively multitasks, as opposed to its competition...being able to go to a task manager and selecting a background process is NOT active multitasking."

Because yes, that really is active multitasking.

Our modifications are within the existing OS. iPhone requires quite a bit more. A modification or patch on our platform is just a configuration change, really. It's definitely fair to compare them, as I didn't have to break my phone or what palm wants me to do with it to add or modify functionality as I see fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    If you didn't know how to multitask on an Android device here it is. If you hold the home button a box comes up of the last 6 apps recently launched/currently running.
    As I said, a task manager. If you're gonna call that "active" multitasking because you want to be splitting semantic hairs, be my guest. I'm just simply not going to put a task manager on the same level as a fully-fledged multitasking GUI the likes of which webOS, Windows, OSX etc. provide.

Not to mention that Android will kill your background processes for you when it sees fit. I realize that's not a bug but a feature - still a feature I'd rather do without.

As for all of you espousing the great multitasking capability of Android / WinMo task managers, however implemented, or iPhone "multitasking", try using your Desktop computer the same way for a day or two. Hide the task bar and maximize all of your windows. NEVER minimize any of them, ONLY multitask by using alt-tab. See how quickly it gets old.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    This is not an issue with the Pre or webOS....it's the app. Try "Music (Remix)" instead of the built-in Music Player, it's night-and-day difference in speed....way more optimized than the default player and it looks nearly idenitcal but with many more options...including lyrics and landscape mode.

I DO NOT use the built-in app anymore...Music (Remix)...go get it from Homebrew.
    I'm with you. I use webOS Quick Install to HIDE the built-in music app and immediately install Music (Remix). It is FAR superior, IMHO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    yeah, my speed of my phone is fine. I have Preware with 27 patches. IMO, awesome phone.
    I love my Pre also, however....

As I stated in another thread, I think you should not NEED 27 patches (For the record, I just checked: I have 44 patches installed!).

All these patches should be built into the phone as options/preferences or maybe even advanced preferences. That way, people can customize their phone, out of the box, as they see fit. This gives people a sense of ownership/individuality/pride with their phones!
  18.    #58  
    If the gpu is going to used for flash in the browser then how far off is gpu to gui implementation.
    Tweet from Palm:
    "RT @unwiredben: Big news for me: On March 1st, I'll join the Palm developer relations team with a focus on native development for webOS #fb"
    1.4 isnt even out yet and people are complaining about it and saying what they want in the next update
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast