1.    #1  
    I posted elsewhere about my thoughts regarding the Pre versus the Droid. I want to love this phone, but I'm facing more than a few challenges that have me leaning toward the Droid.

So, I'm hoping folks can help me understand if there are ways to work around these issues, or if I'm rubbing up against limitations of the Pre and WebOS.

- Synergy is fantastic; but, the refreshes seem a bit slow. Sometimes message content is blank pending a download, other times I see new mail in my inbox on my laptop way before I get a notification on the Pre. We rely on Google Apps for my business, and of course this works great on the Droid.
    - Notifications - the notification system is very elegant. Android's approach works, but WebOS just has it right. Having said that, is there a way to customize the sounds and volume of sound for different notifications (email vs calendar, for example)?
    - Better responsiveness. I find the Pre Plus to be significantly less responsive than the Droid - much more laggy. Is the answer to just open all sort of stuff and leave it running in the background?
    - Reception issues - for some reason I get significantly better signal strength on the Droid, notably at my house. The Pre is not bad - two bars - but not as strong as the Droid. Simply an antenna issue I need to accept, or is there something I might do here?
    - Customization and Widgets - The ability to add an agenda view to my primary home screen, shortcuts to the apps I use and rely on most often, and widgets to control brightness and other features is a great capability that seems to be lacking from WebOS - basically two different paradigms. How do people handle shortcuts to contacts? Or is it back to a classic speeddial paradigm here?
    - Google Voice - Love it as a replacement for my voice mail. Have not found a native app for this on WebOS (though I know there is a mobile website supporting it). (**Edit: OK, I grabbed dkGoogleVoice from the App store and it provides similar functions, so scratch this one**)

Any suggestions would be great - thanks!

~Rick
    I really like gDial Pro better than dkGoogleVoice. Plus, you can integrate it into WebOS so that when you do a universal search call it dials through Google Voice.

If you want the search, you have to install the Preware version of gDial Pro also the patch available on Preware.
    A couple of thoughts ...

- Customization and Widgets. If you love the widgets, then you probably want droid, WebOS is just a simpler system. Speeddial is your best bet for contacts (or you can add them to a Launcher page) and using the card view with open apps is actually pretty similar to widgets.

- Reception issues. I assume we're talking about Verizon for both? Some folks have complained about the Pre's signal strength, but I think part of it may be that the Pre bars are more "realistic" where other phones display more bars for the same strength. Is it just the bars, or does the phone actually breakup/drop more with the Pre?

- Better responsiveness. Yeah, the Pre is a little laggy 'cause they use HTML/Javascript so much. They're improving this, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Personally it doesn't bother me that much ... it will never be as "snappy" as an iPhone, but a second here or there isn't going to wreck my day .
    1. i myself havent noticed a problem with email notifications coming in a bit slower than on my laptop. one reason for this might be that on your pre you might have it set to check for email every 15 mins (or 30 ect.), changing to as it arrives might solve the problem (if that is the case).

2. there is a way to set custom motification sounds, its been so long since i've used my pre without patches (which are available through preware and quickinstall) that i don't know if its a patch or not, i'm pretty sure it was added with "smstone per contact"

3. the pre does seem a little laggy, this should change pretty soon i've heard but running the apps in the background does help a bit. another thing, dont forget about universal search on the pre, if the normal lag is a problem for u try the universal search and it might bring up what you're looking for a little faster

4. better reception with the droid could just be due to being cloer to a verizon tower, unfotunately not much there is to do on the pre's side to change that lol. from what i've heard though, call quality sucks on the droid compared to the pre, don't know if it's true but that's what i've heard

5. i've heard there's more to customize on the droid but you can customize just about everything on the pre, including adding an agenda view (through apps or patches). not sure if there is a way to add shortcuts but with patches you could always create custom pages on the screen with whatever apps or contacts or websites you use the most ...or again use the universal search and bring it up right away
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    1. i myself havent noticed a problem with email notifications coming in a bit slower than on my laptop. one reason for this might be that on your pre you might have it set to check for email every 15 mins (or 30 ect.), changing to as it arrives might solve the problem (if that is the case).
    Appreciate the responses. Nope, not the case. Though I sometimes see a message arrive on my laptop prior to the Pre, more of an issue is when I get a notification, open the message, and there's no content for several seconds while waiting for the message text to download.

2. there is a way to set custom motification sounds, its been so long since i've used my pre without patches (which are available through preware and quickinstall) that i don't know if its a patch or not, i'm pretty sure it was added with "smstone per contact"
    I'll have a look and see if that gets me what I am looking for, thanks!
    3. the pre does seem a little laggy, this should change pretty soon i've heard but running the apps in the background does help a bit. another thing, dont forget about universal search on the pre, if the normal lag is a problem for u try the universal search and it might bring up what you're looking for a little faster
    I use universal search, sometimes. But I also tend to brush up and page between cards. Starting apps just seems slower to me, significantly so, than on the Droid. ~shrug~
    4. better reception with the droid could just be due to being cloer to a verizon tower, unfotunately not much there is to do on the pre's side to change that lol. from what i've heard though, call quality sucks on the droid compared to the pre, don't know if it's true but that's what i've heard
    Not a tower issue, these are both Verizon devices. And yep, I've dropped calls on the Pre literally pulling into my driveway, places where the Droid doesn't even shrug. With the Droid I typically have been able to pull into the garage, close the door, and finish my call walking into the house. I'm not at all confident trying that with the Pre. Can I reset the Pre tower list or something?
    5. i've heard there's more to customize on the droid but you can customize just about everything on the pre, including adding an agenda view (through apps or patches). not sure if there is a way to add shortcuts but with patches you could always create custom pages on the screen with whatever apps or contacts or websites you use the most ...or again use the universal search and bring it up right away
    I'm not sure what you mean by custom pages on WebOS - can you clarify that one?

And again, thanks for the response. I appreciate the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    I posted elsewhere about my thoughts regarding the Pre versus the Droid. I want to love this phone, but I'm facing more than a few challenges that have me leaning toward the Droid.

So, I'm hoping folks can help me understand if there are ways to work around these issues, or if I'm rubbing up against limitations of the Pre and WebOS.

- Synergy is fantastic; but, the refreshes seem a bit slow. Sometimes message content is blank pending a download, other times I see new mail in my inbox on my laptop way before I get a notification on the Pre. We rely on Google Apps for my business, and of course this works great on the Droid.
    No platform is going to be a robust for Google as an Android device. That's just the way it is. That being said, I usually get pinged on my Pre for new Gmail a few seconds before it hits Gmail on my desktop.

- Better responsiveness. I find the Pre Plus to be significantly less responsive than the Droid - much more laggy. Is the answer to just open all sort of stuff and leave it running in the background?
    Of all of the Cortex A8 phones, the Pre or Pre Plus is the laggiest and least responsive. But I think as development matures with the GPU and CSS transforms are enabled, the gap should close somewhat. I don't expect Palm to truly become competitive here until it's on Tegra/Snapdragon-level hardware.

- Reception issues - for some reason I get significantly better signal strength on the Droid, notably at my house. The Pre is not bad - two bars - but not as strong as the Droid. Simply an antenna issue I need to accept, or is there something I might do here?
    I had stronger reception with an HTC Hero than my Pre as well. I think you have to make your peace with it.

- Customization and Widgets - The ability to add an agenda view to my primary home screen, shortcuts to the apps I use and rely on most often, and widgets to control brightness and other features is a great capability that seems to be lacking from WebOS - basically two different paradigms. How do people handle shortcuts to contacts? Or is it back to a classic speeddial paradigm here?
    Totally different design philosophy. There are some patches and apps like Weatherman that help simulate a widget, but that's never going to be a strength of WebOS.

the 'blank' pending a download may be your 3G or wiFi network speed. That said, you can't beat google services against a "google" phone. I would ensure you are using IMAP if using gmail.
    - Notifications - the notification system is very elegant. Android's approach works, but WebOS just has it right. Having said that, is there a way to customize the sounds and volume of sound for different notifications (email vs calendar, for example)?
    You can adjust the ringtone for SMS to whatever you want, or use an MP# or part of an MP3. However, if you want further customization I recommend using a homebrew app (smsTonesPerContact). It will give you a diff tone for email, system messages and SMS. Calendar alerts only follow the system message tone...not customizable at this time.

Background/multitasking apps have little effect on performance (YMMV...50 simultaneous apps will affect it...5 or so, not so much). Something like a podcatcher downloading will hit the performance momentarily. Pre does have a slower processor and no GPU assistance implements yet, so app startup does give the impression of lag. You are trading this off for lightning quick effortless multitasking.

Even @ one bar, I get just as good cell phone use as my BB Curve on 3 bars. That said, I understand that Droid does have two internal antennas, so the Droid could be better.

- Customization and Widgets - The ability to add an agenda view to my primary home screen, shortcuts to the apps I use and rely on most often, and widgets to control brightness and other features is a great capability that seems to be lacking from WebOS - basically two different paradigms. How do people handle shortcuts to contacts? Or is it back to a classic speed dial paradigm here?
    For contacts, you can set-up speed dial or copy a short-cut to any contact onto a launcher page. There is also several contact applications that can be installed on the Quick Launch bar/ wave bar. There isn't a 'widget' system, its all universal with the Cards metaphor. The quick launch and the bottom is customizable with your favorite apps. There's also a few agenda like/type apps available.

- Google Voice - Love it as a replacement for my voice mail. Have not found a native app for this on WebOS (though I know there is a mobile website supporting it). (**Edit: OK, I grabbed dkGoogleVoice from the App store and it provides similar functions, so scratch this one**)
    gDial Pro and it's lighter version for VV-only are also great options. There is another 1 or 2 GV apps as well as the web interface that was designed specifically for mobile Safari and the webOS browser.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    1. For the email, lots of us are having issues with it pushing late/not pushing at all on 1.3.5. Hopefully it'll be something that's fixed in 1.4, and I fully expect it will be, since it didn't have that problem before. Before 1.3.5, my phone would tell me about messages before my desktop client, which is also using IMAP idle.
    2. If you install Preware and some patches, there are ways to customize this.
    3. you're right, the phone isn't as responsive as the Droid, but I usually leave 3-4 apps open. If you really want to make it feel quicker, search the forums for clocking it to 600MHz instead of 500 by changing the value in /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr. If that's too techie for you, I'd recommend just living with the lagginess (or not, as you choose)
    4. reception: the antenna in this phone just isn't great. Kinda stinks, but there it is.
    5. No widgets, but you can create shortcuts to contacts on your launcher pages, for an experience that is somewhat similar to android's home screen dialer shortcuts. I've just gotten used to popping open the keyboard and typing a few letters of a name, but others like the icons.
    6. Google Voice -- several apps, as you've found, and I've also heard good things about gDial Pro, though I've never cared enough to try it.

Hope that helps, it's a great phone. I personally like both the Pre and the Droid, but I'm more excited about the future of WebOS... the Android platform is getting so fragmented that system updates and apps compatible with all phones are going to become more and more rare unless something changes. I'm one who always wants the latest firmware, so if I were stuck with having to put custom ROMs on the phone just to get the latest version of the OS before it's outdated, well, that's pretty lame.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i have a pre and a droid and here are a couple of thoughts:

1. i have a plantronics voyager pro and it works great with the pre. it stays connected even though i may be a couple of rooms away from it in my house. the droid always shows, paired but not connected. i have to re-pair to get it to work on the droid. by the by, voyager pro is multipoint.

2. the web browser is much better on the pre compared to the droid. multitouch is also a welcome advantage that pre has over droid.

3. multitouch. the pre has it, the u.s. droids don't.

4. keyboard: i find the pre keyboard much better to use than the droid hardware keyboard. i hate the droid hardware keyboard. the virtual keyboard is no great shakes due to the lack of multitouch. much slower than my previous phone's (iphone) keyboard. i've tried other keyboards from the android marketplace and they are still more error prone and slower than the pre keyboard. ymmv.

5. battery life: droid is a bit better than the pre, but since 1.3.5 update, i've gotten a whole day's use from my pre even though i'll spend 2-3 hours on it via bluetooth for conference calls. i also have my pre connected to my work exchange server via activesync. calendar and email work great. i have the email synch set to "push" with no issues whatsoever.

6. apps: droid wins, hands down. android marketplace has lots and lots of apps.

7. form factor: droid is much less pocketable than the pre. i'm not a holster kind of guy, not really into the "utility belt" look. in that regard, the pre is a much better form factor.

8. hardware build quality: droid is superior, but that darn battery cover just falls right out.

1- Synergy is fantastic; but, the refreshes seem a bit slow. Sometimes message content is blank pending a download, other times I see new mail in my inbox on my laptop way before I get a notification on the Pre. We rely on Google Apps for my business, and of course this works great on the Droid.
    2 - Better responsiveness. I find the Pre Plus to be significantly less responsive than the Droid - much more laggy. Is the answer to just open all sort of stuff and leave it running in the background?
    (these may have been answered already, too lazy to read the thread... *burp*)
    1 - Weird, I actually usually see emails on my Pre for exchange before I see them in my actual Outlook mailbox on the network. I assume you have it set to grab them as they arrive?
    2 - Yes. I usually leave 4 apps open all the time, email and calendar are almost never closed. No reason to close them. With the extra RAM on the Palm Pre plus I'd almost never close apps.
    what i meant by custom pages is that u can download a patch called "add/remove pages"..or something like that...with it you can add a new page to your launcher in which u can basically move anything (contacts, webpage bookmarks, apps..) to so it will basically be like a favorites page