Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Also having the issue with double spacing on my Sprint Pre, but it only started occurring after 1.4 for me. It's irritating, but not deal-breaking for me. I've also noticed (as someone else pointed out) that SMS automatically drops the extra spaces, as does the FB app. Hopefully this is a quick fix with a firmware/OS update.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    extremely frustrating, since the main reason I bought the pre was the physical keyboard. plus I just lost a bet with an iPhone user who beat me at a typing contest because of this. :/

going to try to switch it for a new one at the verizon store...
    Update on my issue - I went to the verizon store, swapped for a brand new phone, and now everything's ok. Looks like this may be a hardware issue.
    Well, it started happening again. My second Pre Plus was working relatively well for about a month, and now the double letters are starting to happen again, most often on the 'i' and 'h' keys. I'm really starting to get fed up with this, and yesterday I even asked a Verizon rep if they would let me just exchange the Pre Plus for a Tour, but all they did was offer me a Palm re-certified (i.e. refurbished) Pre Plus that should be coming in the mail in two days. I promise, though, that if this next one continues to have keyboard issues I'm going to make them let me exchange for a Tour or I'm going to break contract.
    I have been having problems with my sprint pre as well. Started once or twice with 1.4, after the new uodate their are times that I press one letter and it puts 15 of them on the screen. Then I try and backspace to delete and the backspace sticks as well and eraises everything.
    I love webos, I have been using palm products for years. My last device was a centro. I said it was my last palm device. When webos and the pre came out I decided to give palm one more try. Well PALM all the little problems is starting to get annoying!
    I have been having double letters since my first pre on Verizon. I just wonder how hard is this really to fix, seriously...
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    i had this with 2 out of the 4 pre's. i got so tired of it by the third pre (other replacements were for loose fitting hardware slider).... i called palm support, they sent me a brand new phone (pre plus vzw), and it works perfectly well, and it's been about a month. definitely a hardware issue and extremely common the new keyboard layout with VZW pre+.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I should mention that I do not have a Pre or Pre+ at the moment, but shouldn't it be reasonably straightforward to code a ~90ms delay after each keystroke before another is registered? The delay should go largely unnoticed, and I would imagine much of the keyboard double-type issue should resolve itself. If nothing else it's a quick add-in for the next WebOS update.

Or am I way off-base on this one?
    seems like this is a quiet thread now--I too have noticed the double-insertion of letters or space w/ a single click (palm pre/ sprint)... but then just today I started having another weird keyboard issue-- "b", "c" and "m" simply DON'T TYPE... I mashed around and actually applied pressure from the back of the phone and eventually it did work, but then a few hrs later it was unresponsive again. its so weird that only those three keys din't work... anyone else have this opposite problem- of no input, not too much input?
    thx
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    I have been having double letters since my first pre on Verizon. I just wonder how hard is this really to fix, seriously...
    Upgrade 1.4.1.1 fixed mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by canterbury View Post
    Upgrade 1.4.1.1 fixed mine.

Good to hear
    The upgrade fixed mine as well, but almost daily the double lettering and keys not responding are getting worse.

ET
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I had to replace my first Pre Plus because of the double lettering problem. Now the replacement is doing it, although to a lesser extent. The larger problem with this phone is that many of the letters don't register unless the key is pushed exceptionally hard. It's hard to believe this keyboard comes from the same company that produced the Treo with its perfect keyboard. I love the Pre Plus for everything else, but the keyboard is pure junk.
    My Pre+ (which I got from eBay, so no warranty ) misses about 1 in every 5 key presses. Honestly, it is so aggravating when trying to type long messages.

I have seen some "bad esn" pre pluses on ebay for quite cheap. How difficult would a keyboard transplant be if I bought one of those? Or are there any other hints to fix this? I can't return it to Verizon, and I don't really want to shell out $200 for Palm's repair service.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Just started on my Sprint Pre. Space bar, n, i, e, a. Multiple repeated letters.

Did anyone ever get a clear answer on hardware vs. software?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKraemer View Post
    Just started on my Sprint Pre. Space bar, n, i, e, a. Multiple repeated letters.

Did anyone ever get a clear answer on hardware vs. software?
    I'd say it's a hardware problem. I went from a double-typing Pre to a good one, and the difference was night and day. webOS 1.4.1.1 did something in software to make repeating letters less of a problem (probably by reducing the repeat rate or adding some debouncing code), but then some people had the opposite problem and found that they were missing letters entirely rather than getting too many. If you're within your 30 day trial period, I would say get your Pre replaced. It's free and could save you many headaches (and finger-aches) down the line.

If you can't get your phone replaced or you decide to stick it out, User Input Module and Keyboss might be worth looking into as a homebrew fix. Both pieces of software are in the alpha testing phase right now, so if you use them you have to be prepared to doctor your phone if something goes wrong, but I haven't had any trouble with them yet.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baltovet View Post
    I had to replace my first Pre Plus because of the double lettering problem. Now the replacement is doing it, although to a lesser extent. The larger problem with this phone is that many of the letters don't register unless the key is pushed exceptionally hard. It's hard to believe this keyboard comes from the same company that produced the Treo with its perfect keyboard. I love the Pre Plus for everything else, but the keyboard is pure junk.
    Please see my comment above about User Input Module and Keyboss.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle View Post
    My Pre+ (which I got from eBay, so no warranty ) misses about 1 in every 5 key presses. Honestly, it is so aggravating when trying to type long messages.

I have seen some "bad esn" pre pluses on ebay for quite cheap. How difficult would a keyboard transplant be if I bought one of those? Or are there any other hints to fix this? I can't return it to Verizon, and I don't really want to shell out $200 for Palm's repair service.
    Please see my comment two posts above about User Input Module and Keyboss. They may or may not help your missed letters issue.

If you want to replace the keyboard, this thread is a good place to get an idea of how to take the phone apart and how much work would be involved.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234