Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This guy is killing Palm pre, Androids,BB and even the iphone?

Apple's iPad will kill the iPhone -- and the mobile Web
    Who needs an iPhone if you have an iPad? And who needs the mobile Web if you don't have an iPhone?

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/...mobile-web-020

Comment made on their website
    I'll ditch my iPhone for an iPad just as soon as my grandmother finishes sewing 12 inch pockets on all my shirts.

After I read that article I remembered this video where tablets and smartphones are interacting between them.

"Who needs an iPhone if you have an iPad?"

I do, or Pre for that matter. An iPad won't fit in my jeans pocket...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Wow that LTE things is amazing they should hook with the scifi channel they could make some kick *** shows with the that kind of imagination..
  4.    #4  
    I was seeing myself wearing a mechanic overall
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Wow that LTE things is amazing they should hook with the scifi channel they could make some kick *** shows with the that kind of imagination..
    This future is just around the corner
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    HAHA......can u really imagine someone walkin around w/ that thing....haha....has anybody seen the price on these puppies!?...yea i know u get wat u pay for but dam how about a lil smaller?
    They made it bigger, and it still only runs one app at a time. I work with a couple of apple fans who have no idea why they would need/want one.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    This guy is killing Palm pre, Androids,BB and even the iphone?

Apple's iPad will kill the iPhone -- and the mobile Web
    Who needs an iPhone if you have an iPad? And who needs the mobile Web if you don't have an iPhone?

Apple's iPad will kill the iPhone -- and the mobile Web | Mobilize - InfoWorld

Comment made on their website
    I'll ditch my iPhone for an iPad just as soon as my grandmother finishes sewing 12 inch pockets on all my shirts.

After I read that article I remembered this video where tablets and smartphones are interacting between them.

The guy is an *****. Obviously he does not use his phone the way normal people do. It would be really funny to see people carrying an iPad just to make a phone call. I won't, not matter how great iPad is.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    its not a phone.
    no cam so no video conferencing not to mention no mic
    its on at&t so if you can get an attachment for a mic and a cam it would be drop calls
    The freakin iPad is so over-hyped it's freakin crazy, even for an Apple product! I've already heard from a few friends who were chomping at the bit to buy one and were even gonna pre-order one the were so excited about it..

I explained to them some of the *big* limitations of it (no bashing, just facts) and managed to talk almost all of them to NOT want one One guy still want's to fiddle with a live one before making his final decision, ok fine lol. Hey I wanna fiddle with one too (but not buy it!)
    Maybe the guy's right ... but somehow I just don't see myself carrying around a pad ("i" or otherwise). Maybe for business people who are constantly traveling and carry a briefcase. But to my mind (and apparently to others based on what I've seen written) I'm not sure what the market/use for the iPad is? Seems like a glorified entertainment device (a giant iTouch) ... music, video, web surfing, games ... but more for the home since it's not all that mobile.

I don't "get it" ... but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
    How will the Ipad kill anything? Technology is getting smaller not bigger. All the Ipad is is a giant Iphone/Itouch. Hell even the name is apparently stolen. There is nothing new or revolutionary about the Ipad. Now MSI is making a pretty cool tablet. I will link it, also I am pretty sure this is in the forum so expect to see this thread get moved. :-)

MSI Rumored To Introduce $500 Tegra-Based Tablet This Year - HotHardware
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Is that an Ipad in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I'd pay over a grand for this Notion Ink Adam stripped bare and our in-depth video hands-on -- Engadget way before i'd spend 500+ on a giant more gimped than normal iphone.
    This is just dumb. I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions on the iPad and why it will/won't be a success, but it basically boils down to two trains of thought.

A) People buy technology because of what it can do, not what it can't do.
    This group is generally composed of Apple fanatics that seem to think people will want the iPad because of it's better/larger screen than the iPhone or iPod Touch, and the more powerful CPU. The best argument I've heard so far is from Scott Borne, that iBook will allow open publishing of photography and reading materials which will revolutionize the publishing industry and dramatically increase user material selections.

B) People don't buy technology that doesn't do what they need it to.
    This group is like me.
    1) As a movie viewer, it's extremely weak since it has no good line out capability without special adapters, and it does not support Flash/Silverlight so major internet TV and movie sites are useless (hulu/netflix). Furthermore, entry models lack sufficient storage capacity to locally store decent quality movies.
    2) The iBook application offers drastically fewer volumes than Amazon's Kindle Store, and volumes on iBook will sell for a lot more than for Kindle.
    3) The iPad cannot replace an iPhone or other mobile cellular device because it cannot make phone calls.
    4) The iPad cannot do video recording or take photos, not that it would be a good platform for either technology because of it's size.
    5) The iPad is not inherently portable. It's simply too large to be a take everywhere device.
    6) The $30mo fee for 3G service, in addition to the $130 additional charge for the capability to be 3G network ready makes the iPad an expensive additional mobile device for a user of an already extremely expensive iPhone which is the target market right now.

In short, the iPad cannot inherently replace any devices, and there are better hybrid devices available to fill in the gaps.

For college students, the Kindle DX offers FREE 3G data service through Sprint, exceptionally long battery life, a better platform for book storage and reading, substantially more reading materials for download including technical manuals and textbooks at $130-$330 less, and $30/mo less. For everybody else, a laptop or netbook is 10x more flexible and substantially less expensive. While a laptop/netbook might actually be a virtual necessity for work, the Kindle DX and iPad perform virtually no function which would add any value to the average person. I can see how the Kindle DX or iPad might be very useful for a college student by hosting less expensive versions of textbooks in a compact and easy to transport device, but of the two, the Kindle DX is far cheaper to use and superior for reading textbook materials, anyway.

I really just don't see the niche that will be filled by an iPad.
    Last edited by EvilKell; 02/01/2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Dude that's a large device you have up your ear. Oh wait, you can't make phone calls with it, yet...maybe with voip?
    David...
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Is that an Ipad in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
    No, no, no. It should be, 'Is that and Ipad in your pants or is that a Playtex Tampon (you know the ones in the blue box; if she is taking birth control pills she'll prolly have a smaller box of Playtex) that is doing a good job of absorbing your flow b/c today seems to be one of your heavy flow days.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I think this device may be a few years too late.

With netbooks and the 10" laptops, I don't see where this thing fits in. I mean, if you're going to have something that big, you might as well get a real keyboard and operating system with it.

The thing that made the iPhone so popular was the fact that it could do so much and fit in your pocket. Blowing it up to this size just makes it another computer...only stripped of most features. I'm not one of those people that says the iPad will fail, I just don't see any sort of technological advancement.

There's a reason tablet PCs have failed over the last decade. I'm sure the Apple branding will generate some sales, but there's nothing new here... 140,000 apps? Pfft, I'll just take my laptop with the millions of "apps."
    If Apple were to put a screen like the Pixel QI in the iPad, I'd have cancelled my nook order and would be waiting in line with the Apple fanfolks. The iPad would be a _great_ platform for textbooks, technical manuals, and yes, novels, if the screen weren't a bright, emissive LED. I can see many types of books that would benefit tremendously from the additional content and interactivity that such a device would make possible. And for my daughter in college, carrying a device like an iPad would be so much easier than carrying 25 lbs. of textbooks.

As it is, though, the screen is the killer for me. Intensive reading on a emissive screen kills my eyes. And, to me, it represents the typical Apple design philosophy--very pretty, but not as functional as the alternatives. Remember, Jobs is all about hardware margins, and for now a better screen just wouldn't fit into that $499 price point. Given them a few years to build volume and drive down prices, however, and this might be a great device in 2012 or so.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    It'll do OK for sure - its sweet looking and there's plenty of people who will sacrifice eye comfort for a color screen to read from. That been said, for the every day user the device just doesn't make much sense. Where I can see it becoming a success is in colleges where students could download electronic textbooks for a fraction of the price of the hard cover. That been said, I fail to see how its going to kill off smart phones or netbooks for that matter. Smart phones are useful b/c of the functionality you get in a small size and netbooks/tablets from everyone but Apple offer great portability and much better OS capabilities.

As for eReading - this device will no more revolutionize publishing than the Kindle, Nook, and Sony eReaders have already. It will increase the number of people with ebook devices and yeah iBooks may force Amazon to renegotiate their business model with the publishers, but that's back room dealing stuff that has no real impact on the user - that is to say the user will still order their book from their store of choice - Amazon, B&N, or iBooks.

Everything else the device can do can be done with an iPhone or Touch. This device or any that come down the pipe from other companies will not get me to buy it just so I can read a paper's website on a larger screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast