Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I will start by saying that I am feeling a little "unfaithful" for being here.... I have been a Blackberry user for many, many years and I have defended them with passion. I had lived on crackberry.com....

I am and will remain a Verizon loyalist and would have an I-phone had it been released on Verizon.

My ideal "phone dream" had been an I-phone w/ a hard keyboard and on Verizons network. Wishful thinking so I thought..... Until Now! Enter the Pre!!

I had been following palms re-emergence and was reading how one of Apples main men left to go to Palm and was one of the geniuses behind the i-phone. (In fact I heard the next release of the I-phone 4g will have the same card system etc..) Anyway, I played with the Palm at Best Buy for about 45 minutes and was blown away. I actually like the keyboard!

Here are my questions:

1.) Is the Battery life "dreadful"? I basically want it to last the day doing many, many e-mails, occasional surfing, texting, and some apps. (no games or music)

2.) Is their any option menu to change the font size, or other tweaks?

3.) I use the speaker phone most of the time.... THIS WORRIES me the most, b/c i hear how awful it is. Although my blackberries have always been great, I just want it to be ok...

4.) If any past Blackberry users can tell me what they miss the most?

5.) Is the learning curve for "patches" hard and are they pretty much compatible?

It seems to me that this device may be the ultimate machine. I dont like the droid keyboard! I believe Steve Jobs was wrong when he said physical keyboards are dead! I want one. I have an I-touch and had a Storm and I now know what I know. The web-Os is nothing short of amazing. I never do anything in landscape, don't need wi-fi on verizons network (even though it has it), love the fact that "we" can tinker with patches etc.

Any advice would be great!
    1.) Is the Battery life "dreadful"? I basically want it to last the day doing many, many e-mails, occasional surfing, texting, and some apps. (no games or music)
    It's definitely going to drain faster than the blackberry, well, the lower end ones like the curve, anyway. But it's not horrible. Get a touchstone charger. One for your car, too, if you can manage it. I have one at home, one in the car, and one at the office. If you have good signal, or use wifi, you get decent battery life. The battery will get better after a few charging cycles, so be a little patient with it seeming not so great at first.

Nope. There are patches to change the size on the top bar and such, but really the fonts are beautiful as-is. You likely won't want or need to change them.

3.) I use the speaker phone most of the time.... THIS WORRIES me the most, b/c i hear how awful it is. Although my blackberries have always been great, I just want it to be ok...
    The blackberry (I had a curve) definitely has a much better speaker. But the one in the pre is acceptable. I won't lie. You will hear a difference between the blackberry and the Palm. But all of the other benefits far outweigh these types of things.

In no particular order:
    - Reliable PIN Messaging
    - True PUSH email
    - Beejive's instant messenger (integration in WebOS with synergy is way cool, but I'm not in love with the reliability of the IM piece of it)
    - sound profiles

5.) Is the learning curve for "patches" hard and are they pretty much compatible?
    Not hard at all. And definitely worth it. It is one of the strong points of WebOS. Nothing on blackberry (or any other platform, for that matter) can touch it, flexibility-wise. Very open and fun.

It seems to me that this device may be the ultimate machine. I dont like the droid keyboard! I believe Steve Jobs was wrong when he said physical keyboards are dead! I want one. I have an I-touch and had a Storm and I now know what I know. The web-Os is nothing short of amazing. I never do anything in landscape, don't need wi-fi on verizons network (even though it has it), love the fact that "we" can tinker with patches etc.
    You will not be disappointed. Go for it, and have fun! Everything is a trade-off. But the benefits of WebOS over Blackberry definitely outweigh the costs, AFAIC. If you want games, choose the Pre over the Pixi.
    i was in the same boat as you are.. with a shoe box full of old berries. i got fed up after the storm came out and again with the tour, had both and then they improved on them and i was stuck with ****. but since verizon is awesome they gave me two year pricing and i bought the pre at 6:03 the monday it came out. anyhoo, precentral beats the hell outta crackberry, everyone does nothing but complain on crackberry. here people have solutions. the phone itself is awsome and with preware thers seems to be no end. its been a week and im still downloading. now to your questions.
    1. the battery life sucks but in the forums people are always posting sales that they saw for batteries and touchstones and with a new battery i dont think i will have an issue
    2.other tweaks is what this phone is all about.(preware) you will be sitting there for days messing around with all the things this phone can do. blackberry has nothing on this. if you wanted a little tweak with blackberry you had to install a whole new theme
    3.i also used my speaker all the time and i think that the tour had the best speaker of any phone ive owned. this one is managable, i would say normal coming from the tour
    4.if i had to say what i missed the most.. i really dont know. theres minor odds and ends that i run into once in a while but nothing major. i would say that you covered them in speaker and battery, and the battery can be fixed
    5.as far as the patches are concerned, if you dealt with the leaked o.s. that came out every week, theres nothing to worry about. adding things on this phone is nothing compared to that bs, one simple app on the phone and the rest is cake.

i know that there other ways to do things besides preware but ive only had the phone a week and and i still got a lot to learn. with this website, the developers and these helpful pre owners, i really dont think that you will regret it, ok, i gonna stop typing
    Figured I'd answer the easy ones
    Quote Originally Posted by John Greene View Post
    Here are my questions:

Should last you through the day but you'll end up charging when you get home if you don't charge during the day

It works for me. I used a Curve before. Need to speak into the speaker on Pre as everyone I talk to says they can't hear me the second I move it away.
    Definitely battery life/keyboard. If you only used the Storm, you won't miss the keyboard I'm guessing. On my Curve I was getting 1 3/4 days but I only used it for text/phone/email no browsing. With Pre however the Web Browser is so good its worth it.
    Patches just keep getting easier and easier for the average user to use. Haven't run into any big problems with compatibility (although when new WebOS updates come out you might need to update them)
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    The battery does seem to be weak. Weaker than my Storm2, even. I'm considering one of those 1350 mAh batteries. You will definitely want to have it charging whenever possible throughout the day.

So far the most troubling thing has been the lack of sound profiles. I'm very surprised that this feature isn't present. Hopefully with the new WebOS we'll get it.

One thing I really miss is the way a BlackBerry will insert a period when you press the space key twice. It's crazy how many times I have to go back and add a period.

It seems to me that this device may be the ultimate machine. I dont like the droid keyboard! I believe Steve Jobs was wrong when he said physical keyboards are dead! I want one.
    I can use the physical keyboard okay but I miss the Storm2 virtual keyboard, especially the SureType one. It can be a little annoying to have to open the slider in the middle of using an app to get to the keyboard.

All in all, though, so far the Pre Plus has been great and comes highly recommended.
    I just realized that I answered your question about what I miss about the blackberry, but never told you what I love about WebOS :-)

- Notification system is SLICK, especially when combined with the phone's ability to multitask. For example, I often fire up preware and send it to the background while it connects and syncs. When it's ready for me, it brings up a standard (very unobtrusive) notification. Same with DrPodder. I'll have it download my feeds, send it to the background to work on other stuff, and get a notice when it's ready to go.

- Multitasking, of course. SMS, Email, Web, Preware, DrPodder regularly all in use at the same time for me, with very simple navigation between them all.

- Synergy is a love/hate thing with me. The cool thing is you will literally have this phone set up with synchronized email, calendaring, contacts, and messaging within 2 minutes of initial setup. Seriously. IM-Only contacts end up in your address book, with no way to remove them. That could be improved with groupings or something. Merged contacts are elegant.

- Patches! Unfettered Linux Access! I shouldn't have to say more about these. Here's a nice sample of what you can do:
    http://webos-patches.dbsooner.com/?d...5&category=all
    Main Page - WebOS Internals

- Over the air EVERYTHING. Updates. Patches. Software. SSH, if you are so inclined. WIth a little bit of set up, there is never any reason to ever connect this phone to a computer with a cable. It stands on its own, especially after installing Preware and SSH.

- Beautiful interface in general. Very CONSISTENT.

- Nice web browser.

- Well-supported open development community. Palm encourages us to play with our devices (err. That didn't come out well ): Palm Developer Center
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 02/01/2010 at 10:03 AM.
    1. Yeah, it's pretty much "dreadful" However, with some care and attention, it can be made manageable. I'd recommend a Touchstone or extra USB cable if you're in an office environment, and a charger in your car. These two alone have made it so my battery use is almost never a problem.
    2. Yes, there is that specfic tweak, and many others. Check out the HomeBrew section on the forum.
    3. When I use the speaker phone, I don't have a problem with it. That said, I don't use it often. I got a stereo BT headset, and use that most of the time.
    4. Can't help you there, sorry.
    5. Get PreWare. The learning curve will be pretty flat.
    1.It is absolutely essential to get a Mugen 1400 battery to get about a 15-20% improvement over the stock battery.

Also, these homebrew Apps are must have's:

- Data Toggle
    - GPS Toggle
    - Brightness Unlinked
    - Battery Monitor
    - Battery Saver

Then browse these forums for valuable tips and tweaks:

Extending Battery Life Tips

How To: Get Homebrew Apps, Tweaks, & Patches Working In Less Than 5 Minutes

3. I found the speakerphone to work fine...the only issue is that it is built into the backside of the Pre. Simply flip it around in your hand while speaking so that the speaker is pointed at you and not away...I've never had anyone complain about audio quality on their end when I do this.
    Last edited by foosball; 02/01/2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

There is going to be an update sometime this month that is supposed to improve battery life among other things
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    My previous phone was a BB Storm, that's what drove me away from Verizon, I was not going to spend 18 more months with that horrible phone. The only pluses with the Storm was the flexibility in assigning sounds/ringtones, the speakers were actually pretty good for a phone and the Music App. For some reason (maybe because Apple looks at Ruby as being a defector) the media sync worked fine with my itunes software. The Virtual Keyboard was a nightmare, they should have called it "misstype" instead of "suretype", after 6 months I still could not type on that stupid keyboard. The BB web browser was so slooooow, that I finally quit using it. Battery life was a little better, but like all smartphones, if you have the screeen lit with a cpu hungry app, it is going to run the battery down, period. I love the phyiscal keyboard on my Pre, super fast and accurate. Another thing that bothered my about my Storm, if I was playing music (Pandora) thru my car's stereo and had the Navigation running, each time that the Nav app would come on (which was alot), I would have to physically restart the music (you just cannot beat the mutitasking feature of the Pre). I was so pi##sed off at my Storm that I paid the ETF (back then it was only $175 minus $5 a month of contract use) and got a Pre with Sprint. Sold my Storm on ebay for $200 dollars and I saved so much money on Sprint that I had my EFT back in 3 months. Still really happy with my launch day Pre, solid hardware, no problems. FYI, the average user cannot tell the difference between the Pre and the Pre Plus as far a performance goes.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If battery life is a problem, extended batteries are always an option.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    3. I found the speakerphone to work fine...the only issue is that it is built into the backside of the Pre. Simply flip it around in your hand while speaking so that the speaker is pointed at you and not away...I've never had anyone complain about audio quality on their end when I do this.
    Um you must get real lucky then. Even though the speaker is on the back the mic is on the front and it is not possible to play and record sound from the same speaker.

Wanna test if you don't believe me call another phone toss the pre on speaker phone and listen on the other phone. Now rub your finger over the speaker grill on the back then rub it over the mic hole the results speak for themselves.
    I came from the bb9700 bold. The major change for me has been speed. It's sluggish compared to a bb which is about speed. Not to a point where it is unuseable but definitely slower.

The thing that is tough to get used to for me is the lack of sound profiles. Every night I have to manually turn sound off to prevent email and phones calls to disturb ma and the wife. I really hope that palm does something like this where I can distinguish calls and emails from certain sources and keep the rest silent.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Um you must get real lucky then.
    Actually I'm just a really loud talker and I completely overpower the mic on the flipside of the phone....your mileage may vary.
    IMHO, the Blackberry is a smart-pager, not a smart-phone. RIM has targeted a niche group with BBs and it still can't be beat for what it does and doesn't do! There are several folks out there who are corporate users. They only have a need to get their e-mail suite of apps, and RIM does that better than anyone.

As for the rest of us, thanks to the iPhone more and more people are starting to view these new smart-phones as real work-horses for both their personal and professional lives. Someday soon, iPhone, WebOS, Android and WinMo will offer the same security and reliability as BBs. The question is, will RIM be able to catch up in the other direction?

I have always said, battery life on smart-phones is terrible compared to the BB smart-pager. This is because your smart-phone has almost 30-40% functionality of your desktop PC, and you probably use it a ton more than you do a BB.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

You can buy extended batteries, 3800 mAh, 2800 mAh and a 1400 mAh (regular size). You will get by the business day. But if you are streaming and such it will be hard to get a full day's worth of battery.

Nope

Speaker phone is okay. Not great , but not bad either. Some folks had issues and got it replaced.

I guess the key shortcuts and the keyboard in general. Few things you can do things quick on BB. But you will love the touch screen.

No learning curve, sometimes you have issues , but this awesome forum has answers to all issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
    I came from the bb9700 bold. The major change for me has been speed. It's sluggish compared to a bb which is about speed. Not to a point where it is unuseable but definitely slower.

The thing that is tough to get used to for me is the lack of sound profiles. Every night I have to manually turn sound off to prevent email and phones calls to disturb ma and the wife. I really hope that palm does something like this where I can distinguish calls and emails from certain sources and keep the rest silent.
    Can't you just put your phone in Airplane mode if you don't want to be disturbed? You can assign a different ringtone for your phone calls too. Preware has patches if you want to assign different ringtones text's and in the Sounds & Ringtones app you can assign different sounds for system sounds. There is also a free application called "Battery Saver" where you can set a time for you phone to go into "Airplane Mode" and then set a time for you phone to "Turn Off Airpane Mode", for instance, I have mine set to go into "Airplane Mode" at 11 pm and then "Turn Off Airplane Mode" at 6 am.
    Hope some of these suggestions help you out.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I cnt really speak as I never own a blackberry but I can tell you that you might want a extended battery. My friend and I took a 4 hr bus ride to Boston from NYC and when he left his blackberry was dying. I had a full battery with my pre. When we got to boston 4 hrs later my battery was at 62 percent. And I check google maps every 30 mins to see how close we were. His blackberry was still alive!! I was amazed!!