Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm seeing more and more posts about this issue here almost every day now.
    This has NOTHING to do with tweaks, patches or homebrew.
    The problem:
    The Pre shuts down with NO warning, even while charged at more than 50% and cannot reboot.
    It freezes on the Palm logo.
    The ONLY way to rectify this is to pull the battery for 10-15 minutes-- thus presenting a MAJOR safety issue during an emergency, where every second counts.
    Pressing orange, sym and R did not fix it for me, nor others.

Here are just a few, of many other threads about this:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/225003-dead-mostly-dead.html

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/227843-complete-shutdown-pre.html

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/228111-blank-screen-help.html

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/227804-help-cant-trust-my-pre-stay.html

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/221890-pre-stuck-palm-boot-screen.html

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/227332-frozen-boot-logo.html

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/227245-screen-goes-black-freezes-when-i-have-low-battery-i-plug.html
    Only in today's day and age is has it come to be considered a safety issue to be without a cell phone for 15 minutes. My oh my what on earth did people do before cell phones.
    Well, B.C. I would just use a public phone if I needed some sort of emergency communication.

Unfortunately, the phone booths of old have either been removed or they just don't work...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    A 15 second battery pull has always worked for me when this happens, but then it does take 15 minutes for the phone to boot up
    This is not a safety issue any more than the "sharp" edges on the phone are, and it will probably be fixed in 1.4.
    maybe sometimes helps to ask the person next to you if you could use the phone to call 911 :-)
  6.    #6  
    I seriously can't believe i might actually have to list all the possible scenarios as to how this is something that could be life-threatening.
    Is this related to the Pre Plus? This sounds like a hardware issue, not software. The most useful thing to do would be to link to or consider some sort of solution and what type of users are affected. I have a launch day Pre, that has suffered many falls on concrete, tile, asphalt, etc. and has some scuff and oreo effect, and this has yet to happen to me.
    It's not that it wouldn't be helpful to have a cell phone during an emergency, but it's not the phone hanging that is life-threatening. It's the other situation (that I'm sure you and the rest of us can come up with).

By your logic, not having a car can be life-threatening. For instance, I get hit by a meteor in the leg and need immediate medical attention. However, I don't have a car, and can't bike. (yeah, a meteor would likely kill me, but you get the point)

So, if you are a cop and you are using your phone for work, then, well, maybe it's an issue. However, I'm pretty sure they use radios for that very reason.

Outside of that, what you are really saying is "A life-threatening event may occur, to which the Pre being hung on the boot up screen could have dire consequences". To which I would reply, "Yeah, that would suck. Good thing my wife has one too, and pretty much everyone I know"
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Enhance your calm, John Spartan. You sound like my mother. I hear what you're saying and it is an issue but I wouldn't call this "life threateing". If you're that worried you should get On Star and maybe carry a flare gun around.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I can think of several situations, but they are no more threatening than B.C. The only time public phones being extinct is a real safety issue is if you're out, by yourself, on the street and no one else around. To which I would ask, why are you out at night by yourself on a deserted street in this day and age? All other scenarios are exactly like the old days, only you have a better chance of someone passing you who can then call it in on their cellphone.

If you're so "worried" then get a cheap prepaid phone and keep it in your purse or glove compartment. Or, Keep your old brick cellphone handy, 911 service is accessible on any cellphone with a signal regardless of activation on a network.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    It's not that it wouldn't be helpful to have a cell phone during an emergency, but it's not the phone hanging that is life-threatening. It's the other situation (that I'm sure you and the rest of us can come up with).

By your logic, not having a car can be life-threatening. For instance, I get hit by a meteor in the leg and need immediate medical attention. However, I don't have a car, and can't bike. (yeah, a meteor would likely kill me, but you get the point)

So, if you are a cop and you are using your phone for work, then, well, maybe it's an issue. However, I'm pretty sure they use radios for that very reason.

Outside of that, what you are really saying is "A life-threatening event may occur, to which the Pre being hung on the boot up screen could have dire consequences". To which I would reply, "Yeah, that would suck. Good thing my wife has one too, and pretty much everyone I know"
    These responses are truly amazing.
    o·ver·re·act (vr-r-kt)
    v.
    To react with unnecessary or inappropriate force, emotional display, or violence.
    seriosly? Maybe you could get a backup. After all cell phones cause cancer. Get a generator as your power may go out. Don't forget to wear clean underwear....just in case.

either be prepared for life or deal with it. Provide solutions or get off the pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I seriously can't believe i might actually have to list all the possible scenarios as to how this is something that could be life-threatening.
    I'd love to hear them all
    everytime I drop my phone it cut off and stays on the boot logo without glowing thus causing a battery pull
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    These responses are truly amazing.
    Your ignorance is truly amazing. This isn't a safety issue and I have never had problems with my palm pre yet. So what if you have to pull the battery it takes only 15 seconds like other people said. Seriously are you going to tell me that because you phone froze up your life is in danger? Its your responsibility as the customer to report the issue and get a replacement and or find a way to fix it, and if you know your phone is having problems you shouldn't rely on it for emergencies. As most of us haven't had this problem we cant be of much help, and in fact if a Doctor doesnt fix it, its most likely a hardware problem in which case you should get the phone replaced.

-Toaster
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    by your standards I'd say having a low battery is threatening my life.
    Does the FCC or someone else require that 911 functionality be available for cell phones like they do for landlines? I don't think there are the same layers of regulations and requirements that demand the same level of availability for these phones. Can an FCC expert chime in on this please?
    DBD creates some of the most mind boggling threads about things one would never think about. The only time I can even see this being a concern is if you're in the middle of the desert by yourself, stuck in a driving snow storm in the middle of nowhere or you're basically stuck in the middle of nowhere with no humans around.

In all other instances you should just yell for help or run to the nearest person and ask to use that person's phone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I have to add I always wondered how the pre would handle in an emergency being that the phone app gets very laggy at times ... I tried it once over the summer when we had a major weather occurrence which led to power lines on fire under a car next to a gas station! Well ironically pre failed at calling for help, either service was effected bc of the tornado or lack of signal causes concerns for calls of this nature but I had to use a bystanders verizon phone to get through.... That was 2 pre's ago tho, hopefully things have changed for the best
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast