Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Dude, that happened to me!!! Seriously, I was in the middle of the dessert, and it was in a snowstorm (it was one of those high-altitude desserts), and out in the middle of no where.

And my cell phone battery went out!!!

I fired up my battery operated television, and looked for old McGyver reruns. I found one where it showed me how to improvise a battery charger off my car battery. I had to strip out a bunch of wiring out of my car, but I got it to work. Charged the battery up on my phone, thought I was all set to go

...and found there was no signal.

Has anyone talked about the safety issue of poor network coverage?
    Parsons, that was you?!?!? I was on the other end of that desert. You know, where the snowstorm turned into a torrential downpour? I was trying to signal you with my flashlight app, since there was no service, but me pre suddenly froze and all I could do was wave my hand back and forth over the screen hoping that the static Palm logo would be bright enough for you to recognize "SOS" I was sending you through morse code. Luckily, I was able to use the blazing heat from my pre to start a fire underneath my tarp, and I didn't starve because I had a block of cheddar that I was able to slice up with the keyboard's sharp edges.
    Yes, this is a serious issue and needs to be addressed.
    Life threatening.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Deffo not a life threateing issue!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I've said a thousand times:
    I've never patched, tweaked nor homebrewed.
    Well since that's the only time I've ever seen the problem I don't know what else to suggest.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by ubersoft View Post
    Well since that's the only time I've ever seen the problem I don't know what else to suggest.
    Thanks for trying though. I appreciate it.
    You guys are being really insensitive. Remember when T-mobile service nationwide went completely down for several hours late last year and hundreds of thousands of people were lying dead in the streets as a result?

Oh No! Nationwide Outage | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

11/03/09 -- Never forget

dbd, thank you for bringing our attention to this potential disaster.
    morrison0880 and hparsons. Y'all are funny! I was gonna chime in with my rendition, but I'd just spoil it.
    Funniest thread I've read all day. Just one thing... shouldn't this be in the humor section?
    The day that sarcasm isn't allowed on these forums will be a sad day indeed. Lighten up.
    On the range of of "safety" issues one faces in life, this ranks a good ways below shoelaces that come untied when you don't want them to.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdawgmon View Post
    Funniest thread I've read all day. Just one thing... shouldn't this be in the humor section?
    Oh, my bad! The OP was serious...

Still, I think that the Device and Accessories thread is the wrong place for this post. Perhaps an "Alarmist thread" can be created? That way we can ensure guidelines are being followed.

"Make relevant, meaningful posts - Every post should add value, whether through technical value or community value. Threads and posts that do not further the community will be locked or deleted at the discretion of the moderators."
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Parsons, that was you?!?!? I was on the other end of that desert. You know, where the snowstorm turned into a torrential downpour? I was trying to signal you with my flashlight app, since there was no service, but me pre suddenly froze and all I could do was wave my hand back and forth over the screen hoping that the static Palm logo would be bright enough for you to recognize "SOS" I was sending you through morse code. Luckily, I was able to use the blazing heat from my pre to start a fire underneath my tarp, and I didn't starve because I had a block of cheddar that I was able to slice up with the keyboard's sharp edges.
    Life threatening.
    LOL
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I've said a thousand times:
    I've never patched, tweaked nor homebrewed.
    Location: Surrounded by all you damn Pre people... But live in atlanta (the A)(HOTLANTA)(A-town)(ATL) -via- New York City (the Big Apple)(Gotham)
    So, a thousand of those 1,576 were specifically about patching, tweaking, or homebrewing? I suspect you're getting a little carried away there...
    Last edited by hparsons; 02/01/2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Life threatening.
    Now see, if we could have gotten a signal, we could have used Good Food to find a place to eat.

But then, if we could find my car keys, we could drive out.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I'm just amazed that the human race has made it this far already, how on earth did we make it this far when there were no mobile phones of any kind
    This thread is full of fail.
    That's another reason why this issue is so life threatening! If we couldn't find your keys we could always use my trusty Cabbie app. But even we did luck out and get your McGyver gadget to work, with no signal we still wouldn't be able to get a cab!!!
    We need Sprint to create universal coverage, or there will be more dangerous situations like these!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I can see where everyone is coming from making fun of this post. But I actually ran into a big problem two weeks ago. Well it was more my wife. She sometimes has to travel for work, and was about 20 minutes outside of town on a back road when she got lost. It was snowing at the same time. Both of those = lethal combo for the wife. But when she got out her phone to fire up the sprint nav, she noticed the phone was off. She knew it didn't die because she just charged it before getting in the car. The phone wouldn't turn on. She had a hard time getting the plastic case (rocketfish case from best buy) off the back part of the phone to do a battery pull. She finally did a battery pull and it still didn't come on. Anyway, long story short the phone never came back on.

I got home and looked at the phone because she put it on the charger and it had the dead battery symbol on it. At the time I didn't believe her that the phone just died. I was claiming she let the battery go dead. 2 days ago her phone did the exact same thing, and this time I was there to witness it. So there must be something wrong with her phone. Mine doesn't do that, but I guess some of them are just lemons.
  18.    #99  
    Yeah, you guys know, i'm one of the first people that would make some extremely funny jokes. I know that a thread like this is an easy target for that, and if it was the other way around, i probably woulda chimed in with some real good stuff too.
    But real life happens sometimes. I just thought it should be brought out, that's all. It wasn't to bash the Pre. You guys know i've been doing alot more helping than bashing lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    I got home and looked at the phone because she put it on the charger and it had the dead battery symbol on it. At the time I didn't believe her that the phone just died. I was claiming she let the battery go dead. 2 days ago her phone did the exact same thing, and this time I was there to witness it. So there must be something wrong with her phone. Mine doesn't do that, but I guess some of them are just lemons.
    And what have you done? I hope you haven't just accepted that it's going to keep doing that from time to time...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast