Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    maybe sometimes helps to ask the person next to you if you could use the phone to call 911 :-)
    I sure hope every one of the other bystanders isn't carrying a Pre in this situation...
  2.    #22  
    I guess server exchange or 3D gaming are what's considered true emergency issues.
    What was i thinking.
    I should've known that if this wasn't about e-mail, 3D games, calendars, iPhones, CES or what shirt Ruby was wearing at CES, it wouldn't be taken seriously.
    Stupid, ignorant me.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    DBD creates some of the most mind boggling threads about things one would never think about. The only time I can even see this being a concern is if you're in the middle of the desert by yourself, stuck in a driving snow storm in the middle of nowhere or you're basically stuck in the middle of nowhere with no humans around.

In all other instances you should just yell for help or run to the nearest person and ask to use that person's phone.
    But if you're in the middle of nowhere, will you have cell service?

and in that case, I believe that a post needs to be made about the life threatening situation of being without cell service! Maybe I should cancel my camping plans!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I guess server exchange or 3D gaming are what's considered true emergency issues.
    What was i thinking.
    I should've known that if this wasn't about e-mail, 3D games, calendars, iPhones, CES or what shirt Ruby was wearing at CES, it wouldn't be taken seriously.
    Stupid, ignorant me.
    You forgot advertising, Verizon, creepy lady commercials, 3G/ATT, not enough apps, Ipad, sluggishness when flipping between pages, accessing the GPU, oreo, improved slider on Pre +, Pixi with wi-fi, Appscoop shows apps way too early, Droid, Rashad1, ATT sucks, Sprint good, Verizon plans are expensive, 4G Iphone coming to Sprint and others that I can't remember.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntoblivion View Post
    But if you're in the middle of nowhere, will you have cell service?

and in that case, I believe that a post needs to be made about the life threatening situation of being without cell service! Maybe I should cancel my camping plans!
    I don't know. Prolly not. I was just going along with the premise of the thread for the heck of it.
    Yes, this is a potential safety issue that some of us may wish to mitigate. I'm glad you raised it. I guess "awareness" is the first step. Understanding the real impact of the problem is the second. Not everyone's phone exhibits the behavior so a balance has to be taken between awareness and potential risk/impact. Who's to say that the WebOS phones are the only ones with such problems? (Just some food for thought.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Yes, this is a potential safety issue that some of us may wish to mitigate. I'm glad you raised it. I guess "awareness" is the first step. Understanding the real impact of the problem is the second. Not everyone's phone exhibits the behavior so a balance has to be taken between awareness and potential risk/impact. Who's to say that the WebOS phones are the only ones with such problems? (Just some food for thought.)
    Thank you, sudoer.
    And yes, any other cell phone out there can have a problrm like this, and it's just as serious.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    What was i thinking.
    Stupid, ignorant me.
    I really need 1.4 to come out so I don't get sucked into these posts. Was your post stupid? No. I believe you that it appears to be a real issue. I've had it happen once, although it only took a battery pull of 10 - 15 seconds (plus boot time) to get me back up and running. Was it ignorant? Yes. This is just like the cracked screen issue, where it appears like the world is having an issue, but it's more like 5 - 10%, which sucks for those people, but is probably not going to get Palm and/or the cell providers to jump, or at least not very fast or high. And, much like the cracked screen issue again, the same people posting in different threads about the same thing doesn't increase the number of people having an issue...
    If you buy a phone that has multiple restart options or the users of the phone know the difference between cold/warm/hard resets and you're complaining about that...I think you may have purchased the wrong phone.

Should issues like this be fixed? Yes.

Are these issues expected, especially on a new device/OS? Yes.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    i can see how having a phone malfunction in a situation where it is needed really be a bad thing. could be really, really bad. but, technology fails sometimes. in most cases it is a convenience to make our lives easier.

i imagine that there are certainly occasions (plenty) when the extra minutes it may take to find another way to call for help could cause injury, or possibly even death. i also imagine that if someone were trying to make a lawsuit out of it, a judge might ask "What ever would you have done before we had cell phones, or if yours was at home, or you didn't charge it?" and then dismiss the case.
    These responses are truly amazing.
    It may be hard to envision, but maybe the responses are normal, and your amazement is amazing...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I also have a serious safety issue with my wifes pre, that might actually be solveable with a patch.

Her pre doesnt ring (with an audiable sound) when its in silent mode! This is clearly a safety issue as just yesterday I was calling constantly to say that I was going to be late picking her up from work, but she didnt hear the phone ring as it was in silent mode.

Needless to say I was late collecting her and my heath was seriously affected! Palm should do something to fix this no sound when in silent mode issue.
    DBD creates some of the most mind boggling threads about things one would never think about. The only time I can even see this being a concern is if you're in the middle of the desert by yourself, stuck in a driving snow storm in the middle of nowhere or you're basically stuck in the middle of nowhere with no humans around.
    Dude, that happened to me!!! Seriously, I was in the middle of the dessert, and it was in a snowstorm (it was one of those high-altitude desserts), and out in the middle of no where.

And my cell phone battery went out!!!

I fired up my battery operated television, and looked for old McGyver reruns. I found one where it showed me how to improvise a battery charger off my car battery. I had to strip out a bunch of wiring out of my car, but I got it to work. Charged the battery up on my phone, thought I was all set to go

...and found there was no signal.

Has anyone talked about the safety issue of poor network coverage?
    DBD creates some of the most mind boggling threads about things one would never think about.
    The fact that he has that many posts in his time here is mind boggling. Or is it mind bottling. Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Dude, that happened to me!!! Seriously, I was in the middle of the dessert, and it was in a snowstorm (it was one of those high-altitude desserts), and out in the middle of no where.

And my cell phone battery went out!!!

I fired up my battery operated television, and looked for old McGyver reruns. I found one where it showed me how to improvise a battery charger off my car battery. I had to strip out a bunch of wiring out of my car, but I got it to work. Charged the battery up on my phone, thought I was all set to go

...and found there was no signal.

Has anyone talked about the safety issue of poor network coverage?

hehe. Are you sure you weren't using the Pre on ATT; you know with all of its alleged poor network coverage (per the Iphone users).
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    The fact that he has that many posts in his time here is mind boggling. Or is it mind bottling. Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?
    Kinda of like Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle! I love that song by the way.
    "Mind bottling" is a really great metaphor! This happens to me (and probably to all of us) from time to time.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    |
    |
    ---->i think he just like to see his posts <----
    ^
    |
    |
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I seriously can't believe i might actually have to list all the possible scenarios as to how this is something that could be life-threatening.
    ya know... crossing the street is life threatening...
    I just pop the battery and put it right back in. Don't wait 15 seconds or 15 minutes. I wait 1.

Happens to me like once every other week.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast