Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    it should have been "Smart enough for mom, Cool enough for dad". i think that would of suited better than saying my pre is a soccer mom phone.
    http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2010/01...ort-calls-mom/

TIPB seems to think "Mom" wants a device that just works, requires no thinking, and no tech support, etc. Don't know about you, but my mother would be lost with this and wouldn't know gmail from a google map. Even my wife needed much help with hers and i still got the feeling she humored me at the beginning (but learned to like it).

But if the Pixi is aimed at female teenie boppers with its various colors and name, then the Pre is aimed at.. mothers? We've gone from "busy" people to general consumers and now to Mom.

None of the commercials to date aim to educate the consumer what the heck webOS or the Pre is all about.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    moms are just about the busiest people around so it's still targeted at busy people
    Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    Never thought of the Pre as a "Mom Phone"... weird.
    if they're targeting moms with this phone I can't wait to see Palm's next phone targeting power users.
    I happen to think that the marketing in this is spot-on, honestly. Does anyone think that this will be the only commercial Verizon does? They've always done very targeted ads in the past, and with Valentine's Day coming up and Mother's Day not THAT much further off than that, it makes sense. I'd be very surprised if there's not other commercials in the future that show others who would be a good fit for the phone.

Besides that, Palm has always said that they're not going after the 'power user' segment necessarily, but the 'fat middle'. I consider myself a power user, and as such, it happens to be that the phone also works great for me. But why bother with Droid-like advertising that focuses on only those users, when there's a much larger market outside of that? Showing how it fits into one's life is a much better way of getting the masses to be interested.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by senorfrog97 View Post
    if they're targeting moms with this phone I can't wait to see Palm's next phone targeting power users.
    The Droid is Verizon's power user, macho phone. Remember those commercials? I doubt that Verizon is interested in marketing another power user phone.

I'm not quite sure how well the Pre Plus will work with Moms. The big difference in hardware between the iPhone and Pre hardware is the keyboard, and how many mom's are heavy texters?

I'm sure Verizon will position the Pixi as the teenager phone. I just hope they don't advertise heavily, or I'll have to old my shiny new Pixi Plus in pocket and hope I don't get a call in the middle of a meeting.

I think the Pixi Plus could also pass as an elegant executive phone as well -- but I'm sure Verizon has that position reserved for the Blackberries. Hopefully, Palm will come up with a Jumbo Pixi sooner than later to snag all those people moving from the archaic Blackberry's to iPhones
    Why do people hate on the Sprint branded Palm Pre commercials? I thought they got their point across without blatantly ripping off iPhone advertising.
    Hi all, Interesting that they should show off the calender/appt aspect of the Pre, (I cannot get a pre until July), when so many have complained that the calender is a weak spot for the Pre. (I use DTbook and will hate to give it up).
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think this is a great example of "be careful what you wish for" in terms of there not being enough advertising from Verizon. It makes perfect sense from a marketing POV though, and I think this demographic might be Palm's only savior. This phone doesn't have enough apps to attract the young population and isn't anywhere near even the area code of the ballpark for serious business people, with its flimsy design and cheap construction among other issues. But I think this might be the perfect phone for mothers who might not have the time to "do research" on their next smart phone purchase.
    Last edited by kcw; 02/02/2010 at 03:20 AM.
    i like the first ad with keeping up with mom... and you know what... it is true. my mom LOVES and will not change her phone for a long time and she has a 755p. the true reason she has it. calander, its weird but she exactly does this and has everything highlighted for everybodies name.

calander,email, and simplicity does keep up with mom and actually she influenced me alittle to getting a palm pre

thank you mytether
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Most women like small phones, the palm is much smaller and more traditional looking then the iPhone or Droid.

I think that is what the marketing people are trying to convey, small yet powerful, packed with features that you can easily use.

After all when you have such a nice compact good looking comfortable phone like the Pre, why would you want the uncomfortable large flat slab like the iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2010/01...ort-calls-mom/

TIPB seems to think "Mom" wants a device that just works, requires no thinking, and no tech support, etc. Don't know about you, but my mother would be lost with this and wouldn't know gmail from a google map. Even my wife needed much help with hers and i still got the feeling she humored me at the beginning (but learned to like it).

But if the Pixi is aimed at female teenie boppers with its various colors and name, then the Pre is aimed at.. mothers? We've gone from "busy" people to general consumers and now to Mom.

None of the commercials to date aim to educate the consumer what the heck webOS or the Pre is all about.
    I think that the two V commercials have done a reasonable job of educating the consumer on what the Pre can do. Could the commercials have shown a little more of what WebOs can do? Sure. But for the first two commercials on V I think that they've done a decent job. They're surely better than the creepy lady ads or the ads Sprint have done. Would you not agree?

As another poster said and I believe Palm has stated this as well, Palm is going after that 'fat middle'. Moms are busy, dads are busy, wives are busy, single guys are busy, single women are busy. They are the general consumer. The tweek geek is not the gen consumer. So you need something that scatter shoots at the majority of buyers. Palm is doing that.

Pixi seems to be aiming at the youngsters whether they're teens or they're in college. But the Pixi also appeals to those other general consumers as well.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    They showed the Memos one during first hour of Lost!!! Thats a nice audience. Looks nicer on TV.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123