Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I personally think that these commercials are awesome. They show off the phone's capabilities in a really elegant way, and positioning them as gifts for Valentine's Day is pretty brilliant too.

So, now that we've seen two highly-polished ads from Verizon for the Pre can everyone cool it with the "Verizon is trying to kill Palm" talk? Ha!
    Never thought of the Pre as a "Mom Phone"... weird.
    Those commercials are pretty good. Better than the creepy lady ads. The second one shows off multiple cards and notifications while playing music. Pretty funny too with the Pre knocking the lady off the screen to show off it's features.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    Never thought of the Pre as a "Mom Phone"... weird.
    But as Ruby said, the Palm phones are for everyone. I don't mind a MILF phone.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    :lol If they are half as successful as the wii with the casual market, Palm should be selling a ton of phones. Brilliant business strategy by VZW as moms were never the target for smartphones before and have a lot of disposable income. And really, it's suicide for Palm to compete in any demographic the iphone already has a lock on and VZW isn't directly competing with the Droid by doing this.

So we have the mom phone. Time to bail. j/k At least I don't have the sheep phone (the phone that everyone else has). Bahh.
    The only thing that would be better would be if they had the "creepy girl" doing the commercial....lol
    I think those are just outstanding ads. They're funny and engaging, and show the strengths of the device. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    they are way better than creepy palm girl, now they need to target the youth with the 3d gaming and multimedia capabilities on another commercial.
    If you guys would listen, the commercial says 'Smart enough to keep up with mom'.

As someone once said... "Any exposure is good exposure"

Also, doesn't the narrator's voice sound like Demi Moore?
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    :lol If they are half as successful as the wii with the casual market, Palm should be selling a ton of phones. Brilliant business strategy by VZW as moms were never the target for smartphones before and have a lot of disposable income. And really, it's suicide for Palm to compete in any demographic the iphone already has a lock on and VZW isn't directly competing with the Droid by doing this.

So we have the mom phone. Time to bail. j/k At least I don't have the sheep phone (the phone that everyone else has). Bahh.
    In my mind b/c of the simplicity of using the Iphone and WebOs operating systems, both devices would be attractive to the casual set. Droids in my mind are geared more towards the smartphone super geeks in terms of how the operating system is and the really not so attractive designs (attractive to geeks, yes. To general folks, ok looking but not beautiful).

Now the part of the market that Iphone/Apple has cornered that I don't Palm will corner at this point, but could at some point is the hipsters with their super skinny jeans, ironic tee-shirts, Keds tennis shoes and bangs hanging really like the Iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    they are way better than creepy palm girl, now they need to target the youth with the 3d gaming and multimedia capabilities on another commercial.
    I think the previous Pixi commercials targeted the young crowd. Especially with the Pixi commercials appearing on stations such as the CW and MTV.

I do think that there should be a separate commercial that shows 3D gaming. So during the commercial you could have someone playing one of the games and then taps the card to pause it and answer a call and then resumes playing the game while on the call.
    I actually like the little adds that VZW has going on webpages now. They pop up on the side of P|C from time to time. They mention multitasking and notifications, I think things are going to look up for palm.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I do think that there should be a separate commercial that shows 3D gaming. So during the commercial you could have someone playing one of the games and then taps the card to pause it and answer a call and then resumes playing the game while on the call.
    Although I do like the Verizon ads, this is also a great idea. The ability to pause these great games, as compared to the iPhone, is a true killer feature. Hopefully Sprint, Verizon, or Palm realize this and will leverage.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Although I do like the Verizon ads, this is also a great idea. The ability to pause these great games, as compared to the iPhone, is a true killer feature. Hopefully Sprint, Verizon, or Palm realize this and will leverage.
    +1
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Some mom's are gadget nerds too!
    Yup. Just check my sig.

Seriously though, as a working mother with two kids (one having lots of medical appts) I need to coordinate multiple calendars and be able to organize the stack of to do lists and notes in my bag. Pre was my solution to that.

I seriously considered Droid and was on the verge of getting one even thought I found it to be a beast of a phone. But then Pre happened. I'm nerdy enough to do some tinkering to customize it to my liking and it still fits in my pocket. I think that's what kept me from getting a smartphone for so long- portability. Sometimes I just want to carry keys, cash and phone and the pockets in womens clothes are small (if they're even there at all). Droid is definitely not a"pocketable" phone for me. Neither is iPhone for that matter.

Okay, now I'm rambling and digressing. Back to work
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    Not a fan of these at all, but I'm not a fan of any commercial that only spends 10 of the 30 seconds talking about the actual product when said product is an unknown entity.

Contrast that with the Droid Search/"human" commercial where they definitively brand the product from THE FIRST SECOND, and then spend 25 seconds talking about the phone in closeup.

I think these Pre spots - while understandable from Verizon's perspective given the time of year - just add more noise to the indistinct public identity of the Pre. Kudos to actually showing the phone and OS in closeup, tho. Took just 7 months. Maybe a real explanation commercial of WebOS and "smart notifications" will arrive before 2010 is out.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I like the adverts. They're fun and will certainly appeal to mum, if not their (grown-up) children.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    the best ads so far i've seen, in any of the countries that currently sell the Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not a fan of these at all, but I'm not a fan of any commercial that only spends 10 of the 30 seconds talking about the actual product when said product is an unknown entity.

Contrast that with the Droid Search/"human" commercial where they definitively brand the product from THE FIRST SECOND, and then spend 25 seconds talking about the phone in closeup.

I think these Pre spots - while understandable from Verizon's perspective given the time of year - just add more noise to the indistinct public identity of the Pre. Kudos to actually showing the phone and OS in closeup, tho. Took just 7 months. Maybe a real explanation commercial of WebOS and "smart notifications" will arrive before 2010 is out.
    +1

That's just horrible. Maybe Palm is doomed to have bad marketing..

Just another in line with overthinking or trying to be too creative when the product has the power to steal the show if they simply showed it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    +1

That's just horrible. Maybe Palm is doomed to have bad marketing..

Just another in line with overthinking or trying to be too creative when the product has the power to steal the show if they simply showed it off.
    God, this +1 thing is getting annoying.

I don't know what Droid campaign you guys are talking about that was centered entirely around the phones. For those of you with short memories, here are some examples of total nonsense that have almost nothing to do with the product at all:

I think both of these Palm Pre commercials are more on target personally. I did like the Droid commercials where they focused on a particular feature, and I could see Verizon running some of those for the Pre too.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast