Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've done some searching, but maybe I'm just not putting in the right words to search on...

I currently have a Centro and am considering a Pre. I've played with the Pre a couple of times at the Sprint store.

Maybe it's because I'm no used to it yet or just so used to my Centro, but it seemed to be a lot of effort to use. Leaving the slider open all the time seems awkward and I found myself constantly opening/shutting the keyboard. Constant finger this way and that way... Maybe I'm just used to my 5 way Navigator.

What about browsing in landscape mode. On top of all that, do you now have to flip the phone back vertical to enter text?

But, then I walked over to the....sorry....Apple Store....and played with the iPhone. Although the virtual keyboard takes some getting used to, it just seemed much easier to use.

So, does anyone find the Pre tiring to use? Maybe I'm just nuts...oooorrr....maybe I just don't want to admit to myself that I really want an iPhone.
    Nope. Easy & convenient for me, but everyone's preferences are different.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    extremely easy and fluid for me
    This signature for rent
    You want an iPhone and yes you are crazy :-)

This is the most intuitive phone I have ever used. It feels new and fun almost every week. I also made the switch from the centro to the pre. I could never use any of the other smartphones currently on the market after using the pre. I would feel like it would be a downgrade.
    Pre is the easiest phone, much easier than the iPhone.
    the pre isn't for everybody, same goes for the iphone. me i like webos and the pre. if you like the iphone get the iphone.
    I felt the same at first. Then I discovered Homebrews. I haven't missed my 700P since.
    You could always add the V.K. If you do not like the Pre slider then go for the Pixi. The best part is that with the Pre or Pixi you will be going to WebOS and have the ability to run several apps at the same time with many of them linking together.
    get the pre you got 30 days to try it out
    The first couple of days the Pre's keyboard seem a little awkward, but after about a week I really started to like it. Now I can really type fast on it. My daughter is an avid texter and she loves the keyboard. Everyone has their own preferences, but far, this the easiest phone that I have ever owned, my prevous phone had a Virtual Keyboard, hated it.
    My 9yr old can operate my PRE without a problem. If you use this phone you will have a hard time using anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I felt the same at first. Then I discovered Homebrews. I haven't missed my 700P since.
    +1. But I didn't have a 700p. You will be able to customize your Pre to your liking after homebrew. I barely use the slide keyboard after I got the virtual one.
  13. SAO
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    the lack of apps and the lagginess is tiring to me, but that's about all.
    none at all for me, my power button broke and I have been sliding the phone up n down quickly so I can see the time, emails and such. I've been meaning to go to a sprint store to get it check out again, but it's on my to do list. Heck in a way I do extra work and it does not bother me at all. This is a smart phone, you do have to do things other phones can't do.
    OK, I had a Treo 650 and sometimes I still think that was easier and faster to type on and move around with one hand.

That still might be true, but heck the Pre is so easy to use and gets easier with each upgrade.

It is a totally different experience, so you cannot really compare it to those older phone, such as your Centro or my Treo 650.

But you can't have Need for Speed working on a Centro or Treo 650 the way it does on the Pre.

The iPhone granted, it's a larger screen and that's something I still want with a newer version of the Pre. But the onscreen keyboard is so hard to type on, for me that is.

I will always want a physical keyboard, but I do the Virtual Keyboard on the Pre, if I want to show it off to iPhone users.

The iPhone doesn't do multi-tasking, and you won't really understand the virtues of multitasking until you do a side by side with the iPhone (or iPad) which do not have multitasking. They say it will have 'A FORM of Multitasking' in the next version but A FORM is not true multitasking.

On your Pre open a few apps and slide them around and open then up, or watch how they get updated in the background (if it's something that require internet access) and then try and do that on an iPhone. And also, see if the iPhone or your Centro can do 'Notifications' like the Pre.

Nobody has the Notifications like the Palm WebOS has, easy to use and easy to see.

So if you are just comparing doing things like typing, your missing the whole experience of a Palm WebOS.

And if your get P2Snippets (an app) you can have most of what you normally type, in P2 and then there is no typing... its just pasting the data in.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by HechoEnCalifas View Post
    Lack of Apps?

When I got my Pre in June, there were 30 apps available in the catalog.

Today, over a 1000.

So in 6 months, developers have popped out 1000 apps, that's more than one a day.

I guess you might have phrased it as: It doesn't yet have the necessary apps that I desire!

That would have been a better statement.

Don't compare the WebOS to the iPhone, which was out of 2 years before Steve Jobs gave in and let them develop for the iPhone.

But now they have the market, so they get the apps first. And of those million apps, how many of them are really apps and not just stuff to fill up a catalog, worthless.

Hopefully we will have less of the crappola and more of the good stuff.

Yes, we need: Docs to Go, Audible, Video Recorder (but that's coming soon), and we are getting the much talked about FLASH! And the iPhone is NOT! And NOT in a big way.

Steve Jobs just gave the finger at FLASH and said everything is going HTML5 so FLASH won't be needed.

And although that might be true about HTML5, what happens to all the older stuff you want to look at that is done in FLASH!

So we are going to be the first with FLASH!

And there is even an app out there, really a website that delivers REAL TIME LIVE TV NOW!

Yes, you can tune into ABC and watch 'All My Children' LIVE!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

i had a pre for 3 weeks a couple days ago i had to use an iphone i found myself flicking like the iphone had a gesture area i can never go back to the iphone i felt so lost
    wait? I just remembered that I had other phones before my palm pre. yeah i totally forgot about them once i got my suPREme
    I had a Centro before I got my Pre. I haven't thought about 5-way navigators in about 7.5 months. WebOS is so natural you'll wonder why someone didn't think of it years ago.

But I agree with the other posters -- it's not for everybody. I think if you spent about a half hour in the store with it, you'd have a good idea of whether it is the right phone for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HechoEnCalifas View Post
    Yes the lag can be annoying at times...but thankfully thing like calendar are getting better and Palm is making improvements... Sorli...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast