1.    #1  
    I currently have a GSM Treo Pro and have been very happy with the device. However, I am really looking forward to a Pre or Pre Plus but need to stay with AT&T so I wait. Regardless, over the weekend I was in a VZW store that had a Pre Plus and I played with it for a few minutes and was very surprised at how slow the web browser seemed. It seemed to open up slowly and the actual data connection seemed really slow too. I tried a speed test and it was somewhere in the 150kb range. It seemed to have an EV signal, which should be 3G but I was not impressed. It might have been a weak signal and I was in the middle of a mall but who knows. My Treo Pro with 3G on AT&T is much faster. I have little experience with VZW and am not about to get into a comparison of data on all the carriers, but I was curious if most of you would say this is NOT typical and you are happy with speed, or if others have noticed this?

All feedback is welcome and appreciated--thanks in advance.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    My web browser speed is really good. I switched from an iPhone and I think the actual loading times of websites is comparable, if not faster on the Pre.
    Edvo is a little more than GPRS, not 3G.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Edvo is a little more than GPRS, not 3G.
    excuse me? evdo is 3g, and is very fast.

from wikipedia:
    GPRS is 56-114 kbit/s
    EVDO Rev A. is up to 3.1 Mbit/s

it's possible that you had network congestion, or that you had a weak signal, as you said you were in a mall.

for me, the browser is one of the best features of the phone, and it is very fast
    I am on sprint, however, so I cannot vouch for verizon's network.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Keep in mind store demos are heavily abused phones. Try restarting it before testing the browser. My browser is pretty fast, comparable to the iphone if you get a good signal, and way better than any blackberry.
    two touchstones and a car charger
  6.    #6  
    To all of you who replied--thanks much. Your responses were all helpful and reassuring. Personally, I have found AT&T's 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) to be very fast so I assume that if and when the Palm folks release a US compatible version it will be quick. My problem with AT&T tends to be dropped calls--not speed...lol
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordazo View Post
    Keep in mind store demos are heavily abused phones. Try restarting it before testing the browser. My browser is pretty fast, comparable to the iphone if you get a good signal, and way better than any blackberry.
    Lol... restarting the Pre at the store will take like 2 minutes.

But the browser speeds are fast. I sometimes forget that I am not on Wifi in certain areas where my EVDO signal is pretty strong.
    Coming from a BB phone, I was blown away how fast the web browser was on my Palm Pre.
    Coming from 800w ,similar to Treo Pro.
    The Pre is much faster browsing.
    Its also a lot more functional as I couldnt use most scroll down menus on the 800w.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks all for your responses. I just get concerned/nervous about the prospect of switching to a device that is markedly slower than the one I currently have. I recognize that there are always trade offs but device speed and browser speed shouldn't slow down on a 18-24 month newer device with more memory and a faster processor.