webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Business Card Scanner App?
Business Card Scanner App?

Old 01/31/2010, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm really interested if anyone is working on a business card scanner that would use the camera to take a picture of the card and then analyze it and turn it into a contact. Something like Worldcard Mobile's product for Windows Mobile and Iphone?
Loved it on my HTC Touch and I'd be willing to pay for that.
kevindbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

+1 for a good app
stir fry a lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds awesome, but I haven't seen anything like that for the pre/pixi
The_Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the problem is the same as why there isn't a good barcode/QR code scanner yet for the Pre. The camera isn't good enough in close up shots. It doesn't focus well enough, and there's no manual macro mode to get really sharp focused shots of that detail with the camera that those kind of apps require.
wunderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

This comes under the heading "app that won't be created until the camera is upgraded"... just like the barcode reader everyone wants.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are plenty of business card scanners out there that upload to PC based address books like Outlook or Palm Desktop. Then you can sync them to the Pre. I know this isn't the fancy "spy-cam" app you're looking for, but it does the trick.
Old 01/31/2010, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Does anyone know if this auto focus problem is a hardware issue (i.e. need the next gen Pre) or a software issue (WebOS 1.4 surprise bonus)?
Litt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

The point about the camera is a very good one. I just tried some sample pics of my business cards and they came out terrible.
GoBears, I know the scanners you are speaking of, but I much prefer to be at a convention or event and knock the card scanning out instantly. As a technology consultant, it was a great conversation piece with people to use the software on my old Touch to instantly OCR their card and hand it back to them to use again. Got people talking a bit more and asking questions which I could answer.
Sigh, I hope this might be fixable with a firmware upgrade as I'd love to see a quality version of this app.
kevindbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

usually this kind of issue isn't a firmware issue. You can't really patch in an auto-focus/macro lens,
wunderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2010, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

They did "patch in an auto-focus/macro lens" for Hubble! OK, OK, so we don't have NASA's budget... then again, neither does NASA anymore...

Seriously though - anyone seen any progress on a Business card OCR'ing app?
russraff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

And now (with Pre 3's)? Okay, I'm enough of a webOS-realist to know that no app is probably forthcoming, but does anyone know a website where you can forward a jpeg and get a vcf pushed to you?

Tags
app request, business card, scanner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0