Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Just picked up a Verizon Palm Pre Plus. Came from a Droid....and Im much much happier now....ITS VERIZONS BEST PHONE RIGHT NOW.

The things better about Palm Pre Plus over Droid:
    1) Call Quality. The call quality is leagues better than the Motorola Droid. I called several people from both phones. Everyone said the Pre sounded like a land line and the Droid a muffled cell phone...The speakerphone on droid is a bit louder than pre ,but the pre does an a good job for a speakerphone. its acceptable. As for phone call quality i would put the pre ahead of all the blackberry's as well. Im not kidding, its verizon best phone as far as call quality and if anyone doubts me than just goto your local verizon store and call a bunch of people from both phones....ask them...For business this is critical as I have my 800 number goto my cell. I need crystal call quality. With my droid people were complaining.
    2) Email. Email on pre is way better. Pre Has the option "As Arrives" for all email types (aol, msn,yahoo etc) and the droid can only be set for timed intereval email..ie 30 mins etc...Droid only supports push Gmail only! thats it... HTML rendering in emails is more accurate, faster and scrolls faster than the droid...
    Also the pre natively can download WORD, EXCEL, PDF, AUDIO and the droid cannot! The droid needs 3rd party software....Email notifications are better as well.(u dont need to pull down a window shade like droid to see them) typing on the keyboard is 10 times quicker and 100% accurate when your blasting out quick emails. On The droid the touch screen keyboard is annoyingly bad (frustrating) and the pull out keyboard is way below average imho.....
    3) Web Browser. The Pre broswer is way smoother and has an iphone-esque pinch and zoom ability.(world class) The droid screen is larger so you can see more, but selcting links is not nearly as accurate as Pre. The Pre browser is only 2nd to Iphone. When you try to click links on droid it always clicks either above or below desired link. Droid users know what im talking about . Pre Plus is LASER ACCURATE AT CLICKING LINKS....
    4) Camera The droid will win in sharpness beacause of its auto focus a , where pre does not have that, however color saturartion and overall picture quality on pre is way better. Droids colors are drab and washed out. The Pre also takes a much better pictures in low light conditions, where the droid is very grainy! The shutter lag on the droid for a picture is so bad that almost every picture of a live subject comes out horrible! The shutter speed on the Pre is so fast at taking pics i always take two in rapid succesion on almost every shot. Overall my pre pics are vibrant, and pop. The flash on the pre also is more effective and i feel it works better than the droids...
    5) Keyboard The keyboard has been much improved in the pre plus over the original pre. It seems like that its due to a harder material being used for the plastic keys and it makes a difference.(the old were soft and gummy) I can type very fast and accurate on the pre plus. During a real world business day , having a good physical keyboard really makes a world of difference when u need to reply to emails,sms,mms or browse the web. It beats out the Droid and Iphone in that way. I dont consider the droid keyboard good at all and find that using the landscape mode keyboard as well its hefty weight make it cumbersome to pull out and type one handed , or to use efficiently when multi tasking ,where the smaller compact pre is easy to pull that off.
    6) Size and Weight Another down side to the Droid is its hefty weight. Its made of metal and glass really adds some bulk to this thing. Putting the droid (or iphone) in a dress pants pocket is really uncomfortable, and tends to flop around awkwardly whern walking, where i find the pre is not. I would say that the pre is perfect in size weight and feel. The droid is a brick and not really portable at all. The pre feels like a smooth peice of sea glass in your hands as well as your pocket!
    7) Calendar App Both calendar apps are very good. I will give credit to droid, however i will give the edge to the Pre. The Pre has the oh so cool "accordian effect" that squezes vacant time slots togther for easier daily views. This feature Really makes a difference when your actually filling your day with appointments....
    8) Audio Player The Pre audio app is way better than the droid. In fact the droid has one of the worst media apps on any smartphone. The pre audio playback quality is the same as my iphone. I compared it back to back with elvis costello songs in my car and with headphones and really cannot tell any difference btw the two. Pre also supports amazon music store and the PC/Mac music sync ability is very smooth. Overall Im satisfied with the pre's media player. I like it alot. Much better than Droid, by far.

The Palm Pre Plus is by far the best phone that Verizon offers right now....
    Review Summary:
    Pros:
    - Superior pristine call quality
    - Best in class keyboard
    - Best verizon web browser available
    - No dropped calls
    - Class A user interface
    - Email app is near perfect
    - Great Audio playback through speakers or headphones
    - Search by typing feature within all apps is amazing
    Cons:
    - No audio recording app
    - Copy and paste is weak
    - No video recording (coming in 1.4)
    - No multi picture select feature
    - Battery Life (coming in 1.4)
    Last edited by mmm208; 01/31/2010 at 08:11 PM.
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    How did you feel about the speed difference? That's one thing the Pre has been really frustrating on, the time it takes to switch apps sometimes or even load is painful. And that's only having like chat, email, and tweed open. Have the music player open and all hell breaks loose when trying to get back into the phone (I have mine PIN locked).

Speaking of the music app, I find it to be pretty subpar and slow... and you say the droid's is worse? ouch. I know it's not the main reason I got the phone, but it's nice to just pull up music cleanly and play sometimes.
    Nice review
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    The pre plus is slightly faster than original pre in the every day usage.(due to its 512(vs 256) internal memory bump) I would agree that SCREEN LOAD AND TRANSITION TIMES does need to improve. Palm should have an option to shut off screen animations.

I would guess that webos 1.4 will offer some speed improvements on both phones.
    Its been talked about at CES and confirmed. The funny thing is if you see videos from CES with Palm reps using WebOS 1.4 ,you really dont notice much a of a speed increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm208 View Post
    The pre plus is slightly faster than original pre in the every day usage.(due to its 512(vs 256) internal memory bump) I would agree that SCREEN LOAD AND TRANSITION TIMES does need to improve. Palm should have an option to shut off screen animations.

I would guess that webos 1.4 will offer some speed improvements on both phones.
    eh, I've given up on speed improvements for 1.x I just don't see it happening. I would love to be proved wrong though, as I am jealous of iPhone 3Gs users on that front. So I'm hopeful it will happen with 2.0, heh
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Truth be told, a speed increase is one of my biggest wishes for this next OS update. I remember first time using my iphone 3GS. It was way faster than the 3G and it makes a huge diffrence during a work day if your a power user.....lets hope...
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Truth be told, a speed increase is one of my biggest wishes for this next OS update. I remember first time using my iphone 3GS. It was way faster than the 3G and it makes a huge diffrence during a work day if your a power user.....lets hope...
    There was more than a RAM upgrade between the 3G and the 3GS, processing speed was doubled, as well as storage (up to 32gb)...
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Good point, but isnt the 3GS and palm pre running almost the same clock speed.....

I could be mistaken...but i think software has alot of room to improve within WEBOS....no?
    Good point, but isnt the 3GS and palm pre running almost the same clock speed.....

I could be mistaken...but i think software has alot of room to improve within WEBOS....no?
    The CPU is running at about the same clock speed, but the iPhone OS utilizes the GPU. WebOS currently does not. I think once this gets implemented you will see WebOS fly!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Good review. Useful detail. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Here is a direct quote from the Palm Keynote. Notice the Bold words below....

"Ready for an update? webOS 1.4 is coming in February, and its bringing along a lot of goodies. First you can expect to have Flash 10.1 built-in, though the beta should be available soon from the App Catalog. Second, there’s video recording. Third, there’s the standard upgrade deal of better battery life, faster performance, and all that jazz. But Flash and video recording? That’s big."
    very nice, made my friend (who has a droid) read this and was all ****ed, lol

makes me want a pre plus though...

still love my pre though!
    now that lexicomp is finally here and ePocrates is on the way I can finally recommend the Pre to all my med school buddies. I absolutely love the phone and am glad to see the verizon version is even more polished. Not too jealous though, I'm sure sprint will land a new/upgraded phone sometime this summer and I can use my early upgrade to get one (wife will probably complain, but she can deal).

Most definitely. There are still memory leaks and problems with how the pre allocates its RAM (particularly evident with the browser). Obviously the extra RAM of the pre plus fixes this somewhat, but there is tons of room for software improvements (not to mention using the GPU to accelerate things as well).
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Lol...its cool. The droid is a good peice of tech that has some cool features. Its by no means a power user phone in any way, and it never will be. Google really messed up on the Android OS platform. There are several phones on the market and they all have varied versions of the Android OS. This makes for a very splintered and unfocused direction from google. The nexus one is a good peice of tech, however its plagued with 3G reception issues and suffers from very poor hardware support. The OS for the most part still has the same issues that the Droid suffers from. If i worked for Google i could help them straighten that phone OS out real quick.

- On a sidenote i truly beleive that Palm is gonna really surprise us with 1.4 with features and OS performance!. Thats why i think Verizon has not launched its media campaign for The Pre yet...Palm likely advised them to hold off for now.

- I also believe Sprint will be launching a Brad New Palm product b4 the summer. Sprint has a long history of getting the 1st Palm device exclusive for 6 months to a year.....
    Last edited by mmm208; 01/31/2010 at 09:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Does anyone like my review? I was thinking of posting a part 2
    i strongly disagree on number one so i stopped reading after that.
    I think Pre users like it in general because it makes us feel better
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Very informative review, I would like to see you write a Part II.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I can dig your review.. Appears a little bit biased, but a lot of the comparisons were subjective. I will be buying another smartphone in the next three months (GSM only, so hopefully ATT carries the Pre) and the top two contenders right now are either a highend Android 2.X device or Palm Pre. What worries me about the Pre is speed and build quality. I am coming from a Sony Ericsson X1 flashed with a Windows Mobile 6.5 rom and while functional and powerful, it's sloooooow.

What about available apps, gps, builld quality? I think a part two would be cool.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast