Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way to block a developer from your catalog? Specifically the one in the thread title?
    I hate brighthouse labs! but i think theres a patch to block them
    --Marvin
    no
    There is a patch in Preware called: Hide App Vendors (under the App Catalog header)

It doesn't block the developers, but will gray them out so they aren't easily visible. Install the patch and follow the directions. It works well.
    Yeah, I finally had to download that patch too. All those developers are so ridiculous. It'd be cool if there were a way to bunch them all together or force them to have in-app purchasing. Maybe one day in the future...
    These developers are part and parcel of having a mobile OS catalog. Ever look at the iPhone application list? Yes they have thousands to choose from, but 90% of them are crap applications from companies like this. MANY companies will post the same application for the iphone by just slightly changing the application name and description. You have to take the good with the bad and just accept it. Use this patch and it definitely makes it easy to move past those junk applications because they are 'grayed-out'.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    These developers are part and parcel of having a mobile OS catalog. Ever look at the iPhone application list? Yes they have thousands to choose from, but 90% of them are crap applications from companies like this. MANY companies will post the same application for the iphone by just slightly changing the application name and description. You have to take the good with the bad and just accept it. Use this patch and it definitely makes it easy to move past those junk applications because they are 'grayed-out'.
    ++++1
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Holy app spam!

They just dropped 36 useless apps since I last looked in the catalog 15 minutes ago.

Theres another dev called Emja Interactive that's starting to do the same thing. They are making song lyrics apps...one for every artist.

I can't believe Palm actually approves this garbage. I didn't think they wanted their app catalog to become a landfill like Apple's.
    Last edited by kd0axs; 01/31/2010 at 06:06 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    Holy app spam!

They just dropped 36 useless apps since I last looked in the catalog 15 minutes ago.

Theres another dev called Emja Interactive that's starting to do the same thing. They are making song lyrics apps...one for every artist.
    Yup, that's the other one. Emja...
    These developers are part and parcel of having a mobile OS catalog. Ever look at the iPhone application list? Yes they have thousands to choose from, but 90% of them are crap applications from companies like this.
    That's true, but it never seemed quite as obvious with the iTMS, though I suppose it's because of how they've organized the store or just the sheer numbers of apps they have.
    Holy app spam!

Well... everyone always complains about how small the app catalog is compared to the iphone... this is exactly how their catalog got so big. Not from quality applications. You are going to see a 20:1 (or more) ratio of bad apps to good enter the catalog. Don't expect everything to be high-quality apps and you won't be disappointed.
    We should have a "Block List" in our Palm Profile for things like this.
    I can't believe Palm actually approves this garbage. I didn't think they wanted their app catalog to become a landfill like Apple's.
    Didn't Palm say they were actually not going to let app spam like this into the catalog? I swear their is even an article on just that on Precentral..just don't remember which one.
    The issue is these aren't 'Spam' applications. They may be crappy and built to make a quick buck, but they don't qualify as spam. Its simply the nature of the beast and is something people have to understand comes with the territory. The applications work, do what they say they will do, but are small and poor. Simply use a patch to hide them and you will be good to go.
    The issue is these aren't 'Spam' applications. They may be crappy and built to make a quick buck, but they don't qualify as spam. Its simply the nature of the beast and is something people have to understand comes with the territory. The applications work, do what they say they will do, but are small and poor. Simply use a patch to hide them and you will be good to go.
    I definetly think they qualify as Spam. When you have 50 apps about the same thing with different teams that IS spam. You're telling me that they couldn't make 1 app that had everything on all 50 teams instead of an individual one for each team?
    I understand what you are saying, but... a developer has the right to create apps like this. I'm not defending them (I hate them with a passion), but I do defend their right to market within the rules. If you like one team and don't give a crap about others, you would grab a team-specific application. Personally, I think Brighthouse is sleazy, but they aren't doing anything wrong. We may not like it, but welcome to an imperfect world. If Palm creates rule for types of applications allowed/not allowed.. where do those rules stop. In the same way I don't want the government to dictate everything to me, but to allow me the right to make my own choices... that's the way you need to have the catalog. The market will dictate whether or not it is cost effective for them to keep creating this crap.

Applications that are truly qualified as 'spam' would be something like if GoDaddy came up with an application which simply advertised all of their companies services and nothing else. If an application offers someone a service they are willing to pay for (and not just advertising) - it's not qualified as spam. No one likes having to sift through this stuff. Its annoying. It's part of reality and isn't going away anytime soon.

Sorry to play devils-advocate, but it truly is part of the saying: 'take the good with the bad'.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    On my iPod touch I went to the app store and searched "Brghthouse Labs" and started scrolling through results. I kept adding more results to the list and continued scrolling. After 10 minutes or so of adding results to the list and scrolling through my iPod got really sluggish and I gave up. I'm sure if I would have kept going I would have eventually just crashed out of the App Store app.

There were probably still hundreds (or thousands) of results left to scroll through.

No wonder there are 100,000+ apps in Apples App Store. With lots of vendors spamming like that it has to be easy to have a ton of Apps in their store.

I just hope vendors like Brighthouse Labs eventually decide it is not worth the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    On my iPod touch I went to the app store and searched "Brghthouse Labs" and started scrolling through results. I kept adding more results to the list and continued scrolling. After 10 minutes or so of adding results to the list and scrolling through my iPod got really sluggish and I gave up. I'm sure if I would have kept going I would have eventually just crashed out of the App Store app.

There were probably still hundreds (or thousands) of results left to scroll through.

No wonder there are 100,000+ apps in Apples App Store. With lots of vendors spamming like that it has to be easy to have a ton of Apps in their store.

I just hope vendors like Brighthouse Labs eventually decide it is not worth the effort.
    +1... exactly. They do it because enough people buy them to make it profitable. Like I always say... 90% of the iPhone store is crap like this... but WOW.. they have thousands more apps than everyone else /sarcasm
    I understand what you are saying, but... a developer has the right to create apps like this. I'm not defending them (I hate them with a passion), but I do defend their right to market within the rules.

Yes I also understand what you are saying, but what I was bringing up was that I swear Palm in fact DID say they would not accept app spam. This seems contrary to what is happening now though. I have no problems with them bringing this crap into the app catalog but like I said...im almost positive Palm said they wouldn't accept the regular crap that makes it on the App catalog. I am more ****ed at Palm if this IS indeed the case and they aren't living up to their promise. I remember back when this was being brought up here on Precentral. Everyone at that time was all for Palm regulating the App catalog to not allow spam. I have no problem's with Palm regulating as long as they have written guidelines on what they will and won't regulate so their won't be any suprises like Apple rejecting google voice.

If you like one team and don't give a crap about others, you would grab a team-specific application.
    True...but then like the NFL app. They could just make one team their favorite and have their stats and everything pop up at launch.
    Last edited by Slayix312; 01/31/2010 at 07:02 PM.
    the funniest thing is when they release a "demo" version of the app for free, and nobody downloads it even though it's free. Like the garbage app from Dijit. Now I know they are developers, and they drive our app catalog, but you can really tell when no effort was put into an app. To be honest, I feel like if my "best quality" apps where free ones. I do purchase apps from developers, but they need to be cool, usefull, and innovative.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast