Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I have a concern...well, maybe Palm should have the concern...Dijit uses these images from who knows where, Emja uses the lyrics of copyrighted music...is it legal for the developers (and Palm, since they get a cut) to make money off of these? Those images Dijit uses could be property of someone else, and you wouldn't know...I think Palm SHOULD look into some of these apps a little more carefully because this can't be 100% legal.
    One of these days Brighthouse or Dijit is going to make a good app...and I won't buy it because of how they've flooded the App Catalog (and Apple's App Store too, from the looks of it) with so much garbage.

Oh, who am I kidding? These companies won't ever make a good app.
    I take solace in the fact that there is a ceiling for some of these applications. For instance, unless the MLB starts introducing new professional baseball teams on a regular basis we are pretty much done seeing new applications in that category.

I honestly think that Palm's approach here is the right one in letting the market decide the value of these applications.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I do not like these copy clone developers , but it a culture created by the tech media. The other day Steve Jobs was boasting they now have 140K apps. How many of the 140K are good ? The brain dead tech media thinks more apps means better platform. So PALM might be happy to see these folks churn out 10s of apps every month. I would say PALM creating a website where we get to see the ratings for all the APPS from a single developer would help.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Has anyone noticed they even copy the same app DESCRIPTION on each one, just replacing the name? And who's downloading this crap?
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Last i checked they had 140 apps of which 40 are baseball apps that no one downloaded.
    And all of them cost $ 1.99.
    I would say we have educated consumers.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Wish they'd educate themselves on Dijit as well. Seems we still have some slow consumers.
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The front page had a good article on this a little while back:

http://www.precentral.net/issue-app-spam
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    It's $50 to submit each paid application for review, so unless he is under some other type of arrangement (which I can't see how he would be), he's in for $50 x 140 = $7000 just to submit these apps to be in the catalog.
    Creating a filter in the App Catalog would be a great feature with 2 benefits. Not only would we get to avoid all this ridiculous app spam, but it would encourage developers to stop it.

I say build the filter, make it simple to add devs to the ignore list, and let the developers know how many people are using it.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I also vote for filter!
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    The front page had a good article on this a little while back:

http://www.precentral.net/issue-app-spam
    Love the picture in the article.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Palm needs to implement a tiered pricing policy for having apps in the catalog.

1st and 2nd app: $50/each per year
    3rd - 5th app: $75/each per year
    6th -25th app: $150/each per year
    26th on up: $500/each per year

This would keep companies like Brighthouse in the outhouse with their multitude of crap apps. My guess is they wouldn't want to pay $150+ per year for each of those redundant apps.
    I don't think palm is charging per app submission yet. They are still letting any one submit as many as they want as part of the "early access program" for free.

Once brighthouse has to pay $50 per app, I'm sure they will change their tune, but if they get all their crapware in before that...

Apple's app store charges each developer $200 a year, and doesn't limit how many apps you can post for that. This encourages app spam, since once you pay the up front fee, it's a spam-tastic buffet of all you can post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12