Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    my (iPhone user) buddy just made me feel a bit embarrassed when he was playing with my Pre and noticed that the OS was "laggy" compared to his 3Gs.

Sure enough, when "flipping" from one page of apps to another, his iPhone had a silky-smooth frame rate that felt like the page of apps was a physical object beneath my finger. My Pre is laggy when flipping pages of apps. Also my music player takes MUCH longer to open than his phone's (even when I am not in any other cards).

what's the deal here? I just spent $550 dollars on this phone, and I like it-- but come on. The Pre needs to feel like a serious competitor to the iPhone when an iPhone user plays with one.

Or maybe my Pre is just a lemon....??
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHergensheimer View Post
    my (iPhone user) buddy just made me feel a bit embarrassed when he was playing with my Pre and noticed that the OS was "laggy" compared to his 3Gs.

Sure enough, when "flipping" from one page of apps to another, his iPhone had a silky-smooth frame rate that felt like the page of apps was a physical object beneath my finger. My Pre is laggy when flipping pages of apps. Also my music player takes MUCH longer to open than his phone's (even when I am not in any other cards).

what's the deal here? I just spent $550 dollars on this phone, and I like it-- but come on. The Pre needs to feel like a serious competitor to the iPhone when an iPhone user plays with one.

Or maybe my Pre is just a lemon....??
    The Pre's OS does not use the phone's GPU yet, while the iPhone does. And yes there is a little lag and things opens more slowly. However, their apps do not talk to each other. There are a ton of apps here that can cross talk and interact. The classic example is fandango. When you buy tickets on there it will add the movie to your calendar. Can his iPhone do that?

Also, here is a scenario I was doing a little bit ago. I was texting with my GF, while surfing mobile precentral, while listening to Pandora. Can his iPhone do that?

While his transitions are a little smoother, I can do much more at once on my pre than he can do on his iPhone.

They are different platforms, and each has their strengths and weaknesses.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    several points:

1. apple has been really high on that "physical object feeling", this is exactly the same on safari smooth scroll. Which is not what Pre is about, say, when you pan around the app launcher, you feel the icons are "floating on a surface", there are two layers there, rather than one layer like iPhone (heck, it doesn't even have a background, just totally black). PS. My launcher is quite smooth, maybe you should reboot the Pre.

2. as mentioned above, WebOS is still not fully optimized, there are a lot of memory leaks, so when you use it for a while, the laggy feeling occurs. This should improve continuously, before that, rebooting device once a while is a good idea.

3. Pre is a multitasking device, and does it amazingly well, there is no reason to compare the high point of another device to Pre's similar function but ignore the strength of the Pre. Show your buddy how you multitasking, how you can use it as an USB drive, etc.
    Also take into account that WebOS is just now breaking out of its beta phase and the GPU has only been accessible for about a month now.
  5.    #5  
    i l love you guys. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHergensheimer View Post
    i l love you guys. thanks.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    The problems with the music player are lamentable. The slowdown in the music player when browsing music and apps is atrocious. Maybe they didn't think someone would have 6.5GB of music, in which case, I feel sorry for my 16GB friends. I wish they would come out with both a better music player and Youtube app, although the YT app is mitigated somewhat by the ability to download the videos. I give Palm a bit of a break on the music player since well, it's not like they've had years of iPod experience and code to port over, but they could have tried better and given where the phone is now, it's hard for others like Music (Remix) to do better as they are subject to the same or worse slowdowns that plague the official app.

As for the iPhone, wasn't aware they made it so that you could go from one to another unless you're talking about a jailbreak app or just the scrolling down the app pages. Outside the music player, scrolling between things is just as fast for me as it was on my iPod touch and I think our ability to multi-task and a friendlier OS/company outweighs a little lag when flipping (and I generally have none to a little). I'm certainly not missing Apple over here. Sucks you spent $550 on it, though.

I'm pretty happy with it as it is, and since Sprint lets you upgrade every year, I can't be too upset. I'm sure the second generation device and OS will be much better and hopefully out before the end of this year.
    The iPhone is 3 years old! Lots of time to polish it up very nicely. WebOS isn't even a year yet and your complaining!! If this is such a big problem that you have to wait another second or two for an app to open, then take a chill pill. These days we have to have everything NOW, and not a half second after NOW.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Let's face it, the iphone does so well as a music player because that's what it is! Apple has had years and years and more years to perfect the portable music player. I would suspect something was wrong if it didn't do better at playing music then a Pre, or any other phone for that matter. Also as has been mentioned many times, they have had a lot more time to perfect their phone, it was released in June of 2007, they have a 2 year jump on the Pre, and the Pre is no slouch.
    Patching my phone has really improved the "feel" for me. Iphone's UI may be smoother but I've customized mine so that everything I use is literally one click away. Patches don't slow down the phone but themes do. The minimal lag doesn't bother me in the least anymore now that everything is so convenient. Palm is also rolling out updates faster than any company on the market. Don't you need to have a 3gs if you wanted a video recorder?
    I could not agree more. I just posted my story on this board about how sluggish(laggy) this phone is. It's gotta be one of the most sluggish phones I've ever used. My dad has the Iphone 3gs and although I like the Pre more, the Iphone blew it out of the water when it came to speed and responsiveness.
    I came from a Winmo phone. Trust me the Pre is fine.
    They are more than a little smoother. lol
    The "feel" should improve once webOS begins to take full advantage of the GPU. Most info seems to indicate that at the very least, CSS transforms will be GPU-accelerated very soon, which should speed up the UI significantly. It's important to remember that webOS is a VERY young OS (especially compared to iPhone OS etc) and already performs admirably. Once the memory leaks are closed up (web browser, I'm lookin at you...) and they GPU accelerate the UI, life will be better. If you're really burning for more UI speed you can always patch to 600 mhz (at your own risk of course), which really makes the phone zoom.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The problems with the music player are lamentable. The slowdown in the music player when browsing music and apps is atrocious. Maybe they didn't think someone would have 6.5GB of music, in which case, I feel sorry for my 16GB friends. I wish they would come out with both a better music player and Youtube app, although the YT app is mitigated somewhat by the ability to download the videos. I give Palm a bit of a break on the music player since well, it's not like they've had years of iPod experience and code to port over, but they could have tried better and given where the phone is now, it's hard for others like Music (Remix) to do better as they are subject to the same or worse slowdowns that plague the official app.

As for the iPhone, wasn't aware they made it so that you could go from one to another unless you're talking about a jailbreak app or just the scrolling down the app pages. Outside the music player, scrolling between things is just as fast for me as it was on my iPod touch and I think our ability to multi-task and a friendlier OS/company outweighs a little lag when flipping (and I generally have none to a little). I'm certainly not missing Apple over here. Sucks you spent $550 on it, though.

I'm pretty happy with it as it is, and since Sprint lets you upgrade every year, I can't be too upset. I'm sure the second generation device and OS will be much better and hopefully out before the end of this year.
    I did mean scrolling app pages. Iphones can't do multi apps yet.
    yeah, the Pre can't replace my ipod but not because of the music player deficiences, just because of hard drive space needs.
    finally, I spent about $300 before $100 rebate. Was crazy when I wrote 550, but I did sign 2 year agreement.

I wouldn't be able to type this much or fast with a touch keyboard, that's actually the real reason I got this phone. Thanks for the thoughts.
    I understand that "feel"...

Looking to upgrade my Centro. I played with a Pre quite a few times already at the store. And each time I walk over to the Apple Store and play with the iPhone. And each time I'm just taken by that smoothness.

The g/f got a itouch recently and I've been playing with it a bit. It's that "feel" that is making me want to finally get rid of my beloved Centro...
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    <the YT app is mitigated somewhat by the ability to download the videos.>

How does one download video's from YouTube?

I see the share link button, but nowhere do I find a menu item to download.

So, can one really download YouTube video's to the Pre?
    I went from a Centro I loved to the Pre, WebOS 1.1 very reluctantly... I sorely missed the Datebook6 and my iSilo; at first it hurt. But once using WebOS and getting used to the silky multitasking, going back to the wife's Centro seemed like stepping back in time.

Fast forward to WebOS 1.3.5... the calendar is much improved, and we're seeing the power these processors really have. Once I started patching, the phone came to life. It's only getting better, exponentially.

My brother has the iPhone 3gs... just watch someone's when a few emails, calls, and sms come in and stop everything... then watch the Pre. It's comical. All that "speed" advantage just became useless.
    My core i7 is laggy when starting firefox. It need at least 2 seconds to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    The "feel" should improve once webOS begins to take full advantage of the GPU. Most info seems to indicate that at the very least, CSS transforms will be GPU-accelerated very soon, which should speed up the UI significantly. It's important to remember that webOS is a VERY young OS (especially compared to iPhone OS etc) and already performs admirably. Once the memory leaks are closed up (web browser, I'm lookin at you...) and they GPU accelerate the UI, life will be better. If you're really burning for more UI speed you can always patch to 600 mhz (at your own risk of course), which really makes the phone zoom.
    What he/she said. This point has been stated over and over here on this forum yet there is a thread popping up everyday about lagginess. It seems that behind the scenes Palm is aware of the issue and working to fully implement the GPU.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast