1.    #1  
    So, I was very excited to get the Pre Plus. I'm a VZW user and had a Moto Q9c for the last 2 years. I knew the Pre would have a better visual experience and browser, and I assumed it would hold it's own for email and task/to-do management. I mean, Palm's bread and butter used to be calendar and task management, right?

I was amazed when I started to use the phone this week with the following issues. If I can't get address these issues...i guess I have to go back to windows phone...

1. How can I sync exchange folders other than the inbox? Or is there another email app out for the pre that does this? I've been researching this issue for the past few days and can't seem to find a resolution, or any other mail apps for the Pre.

Has anyone been able to get their subfolders to sync? Am I missing something, or is there another app out there? I don't mind paying the $ if I have to....

2. Is there any app out there that allows entering recurring tasks? It boggles my mind that PALM left this out of their task app...I live and die by my tasks, so I need to get this resolved.

3. How can I add attendees to meetings/send meeting requests from my Pre? This one is less critical for me, and I'm hoping there is just something I'm missing on the calendar app.

I know I'm not the only one out there who's trying to figure out these issues. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated! I really want to make this phone work!
    First, I don't know how Exchange works, so that part of you question should be post to the 'exchange' thread. Do a search on 'exchange' and go into the most popular one and ask your question there.

I personally, did not really care for all this google and cloud stuff, but I love the Pre, I've had one from the beginning and it just keeps getting better, Palm keeps putting out updates. This next one in Feb, is going to be a biggie!

But if this product doesn't server your needs, then move to what will server you, you have to do what is right for your personal needs.

As far as the other stuff.

I purchased 'PocketMirror' by Chapura Software.

I have Outlook 2007 on my home PC, and I wanted to sync my address/contact/calendar/tasks/notes.. There is another product called The Missing Sync which does this too, but you have to hook up the USB cable for that one.

PocketMirror uses the WiFi connection and will do the sync within your home wireless network.

It does events, all the other stuff, I have appointments but honestly, I've never used scheduling on Outlook, I use it for personal use, I'm not a doctor for example.

But if you set everything up on your exchange end, then a schedule should just be entered in the Pre as an appointment.

You can download and test out the demo of Pocketmirror and see if works for you.

But in the end, if you have give back your Pre, do it while you have time.

Palm Pre, is only going to get better and better.. we have been waiting for some functions to get put in, and they are, just a little more slower that we would have hoped for. But when it does get added, it's great!

I recently downloaded some of the game (which I don't play games) just to see what all the big deal was all about and well, I fell on the floor because it proved that this phone can beat the rest of them!

Try a demo game of EA or Gameloft!

Hope this helps a little and directs you to some better answers.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

1. Not sure what's going on with this one, you may need to give more details. When I was using my home Exchange system, it sync'd subfolders fine. When you set up your account, did you set it as an EAS account, or as something else (iMAP or POP3)? You might also check the length of time your Pre is set to display the subfolder messages. Mine is short (I don't really use the account much any more), so everything older than 3 days doesn'tshow.
    2. The Pre is weak on tasks apps. For recurring items, I typically use Google Calendar, and have a calendar type called "reminders". It's a different color on my Pre, and they show up as all day events.
      For most of my tasks I use Outline Tracker. Though that doesn't have a recurring tasks feature either, for true tasks (instead of reminders), I enter it, then change the date for the next due date after I complete the task. Kludgy, but it works.
      There are some other tasks apps in the catalog, plus I really believe that this is an area that's going to see some more apps added. I know that the author of Outline Tracker is already working on some new features.
    3. The Pre doesn't have this feature yet. In 1.4 there has been rumor that there will be changes to the Calendar app, I suspect this will be one of those changes, but that just my opinion.
  4.    #4  
    Let me clarify the Exchange issue that I'm having. I can see the subfolders in the Exchange list, but new mail in those folders is only downloaded when I go into the folder. Only the Inbox is synced as items arrive. So I don't see new mail that's filtered into subfolders unless I go through each one .... And I have a lot...

For tasks...I'm messing with Remember the Milk right now. Maybe that can be a viable option until a better native task app is released.
    jnasmith

That issue with the subfolders is a Exchange ASM issue. Same issue happens with the iphone where it shows the subfolders but wont sync them until you go into them and force a sync.
  6.    #6  
    any known workaround?

Will it work with IMAP idle on the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by jnasmith View Post
    Let me clarify the Exchange issue that I'm having. I can see the subfolders in the Exchange list, but new mail in those folders is only downloaded when I go into the folder. Only the Inbox is synced as items arrive. So I don't see new mail that's filtered into subfolders unless I go through each one .... And I have a lot...

For tasks...I'm messing with Remember the Milk right now. Maybe that can be a viable option until a better native task app is released.
    That's because of the way Exchange (and most other mail servers) hande rules. The incoming mail is immediately put in the folder, so it doesn't show up as "new".

I think if you flag it as a "favorite" on the Pre (click on the star on the right side of the folder listing), and set "All Flagged" to on in the Smart Folders, it will alert you when you get new mail in those folders.
    As above it's how you have your rules set up. Outlook and exchange are best friends, other email clients are as friendly and can't handle all the higher end features outlook can. That is one good thing of MW is the mobile outlook handles stuff like this better.

I would try the above recommendation of making it a favorite, and if you view your "inbox" as "all inboxes" you should see new mail come in.

As an IT administrator, I would recommend ditching rules and finding a better way to manage your inbox, if you are getting that much email, you should find a better management system or find a way to reduce the amount of email you receive, just as a matter of staying sane!
    Last edited by Funky Cricket; 02/02/2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: didn't read entire thread.
  9.    #9  
    Adding my folders as favorites doesn't make result in their staying in sync. Also the Flagged Items smart folder only pulls together all messages that have been flagged for follow-up.

As much as I would love to reduce the amount of email I receive...that's not really an option and not a real solution to the problem. This is a basic mail function that should have been built in out of the box. My 3 year old Verizon XV6700 could sync subfolders using IMAP idle . . . and if I wasn't happy with how pocket outlook worked, I could spend $30 for another mail app. I haven't been able to locate a single 3rd party mail app for the Pre.
    Adding my folders as favorites doesn't make result in their staying in sync. Also the Flagged Items smart folder only pulls together all messages that have been flagged for follow-up.

As much as I would love to reduce the amount of email I receive...that's not really an option and not a real solution to the problem. This is a basic mail function that should have been built in out of the box. My 3 year old Verizon XV6700 could sync subfolders using IMAP idle . . . and if I wasn't happy with how pocket outlook worked, I could spend $30 for another mail app. I haven't been able to locate a single 3rd party mail app for the Pre.
    I've pretty much given up on folks that insist XYZ is a "basic function that should have been included out of the box"

There are two problems with that:
    1. Diferent folks have entirely different views of what constitutes a "basic function that should have been there out of the box". I'm still trying to figure out the rules of who decides what's basic, and what "should" be there out of the box. Silly me, I tend to just learn to use things the way they are.
    2. Frequently, the feature is there, but the person has to read the manual

There aren't any third party mail apps out for the Pre yet (that I know of), it's still a relatively new device, and most folks are seem satisifed with the mail app that comes with it.

You might try removing the email account from the Pre, and adding it back as an IMAP account, and see if that works for you.
    OK, I went back and looked at my rules in Outlook (never was a big Outlook user, so had to go back and check how I did it before).

I was never able to figure out a rule to move mail to folders that wasn't based on "Apply this rule after the message arrives", so what I did was create another rule that sent an SMS to phone letting me know the message had arrived. Then when I opened the folder, it would sync (takes a few seconds), and the message was there.

If the phone is your primary mail tool, then you could do this as a work around. Turn off all of the rules in Outlook. This will mean all of the email comes to your Pre's Inbox. You can then move them as you need to on the Pre, or when you get to your computer, you can open the rules in Outlook, and select Run Rules Now. This will move all of the emails to the appropriate folders, just as if they'd been running as you received them. The move should also show up on the Pre.
  12.    #12  
    hparsons - thanks for the suggestion. I'm syncing with Zimbra via exchange and not using Outlook.
    hparsons - thanks for the suggestion. I'm syncing with Zimbra via exchange and not using Outlook.
    I'm not sure what rules Zimbra has, but will check it out. Also, have you tried the suggestion of removing the EAS email account, and adding it back as an IMAP push?
  14.    #14  
    adding my mail accont back as IMAP yielded the same results.