Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I still see the Pre and the Pixi as the first pioneer phones or beta phones. They weren't here to make people WOW at the hardware. They were here to work out the bugs and the next phone (aka Pre2) will defiantly be a beastly phone.
    The Pre Plus is the beta phone with a little improvements to work off the bugs.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Nobody but internally in Verizon knows why they didn't have a massive ad campaign. More telling is how Verizon handled the launch. In at least 3 stores that I visited (the smaller affiliate type branded Verizon stores), not one had the Pre or Pixi. To have full page ads and launch and not make sure they are in stores makes me think that Verizon really doesn't think much of the Pre making any dent in their bottom line and that the agreement with Palm is to let Palm shoulder the burden of marketing by using an agreement with Verizon for them to promote. Add the lack of exclusivity and significant differentiation between the Pre and Pre Plus and you have a pretty good reason why Verizon didn't push it.

Why Palm didn't ensure that every Verizon store had at least a demo Pre and Pixi is beyond my comprehension and, IMHO, a tremendous blunder it could not afford. My feeling is that by the time the Pre is launched on AT&T, it might even be virtually irrelevant. Palm better have a tremendous new offering come late Spring or it appears they will get spanked even harder with the launch of the Nexus One, other Android phones, and the potential news of the next iPhone. And if the iPhone is ever launched on CDMA (if Apple and Verizon could agree, two very confident companies) as well as an announcement of the next iPhone, then I fear that Palm may have seriously blown it's window of opportunity. I'm guessing if we're going to see any ads then it will come shortly and needs to be furious to be effective. By Spring, I don't think the current hardware will excite the masses and wonder if the Blackberry Bold with Touchscreen might be out, putting it squarely in competition with the pre and pixi. So if the ad campaign is coming, it will be immediate and furious because this IS the window.

PS - One last thought - could it be Palm that has delayed the word? Given the paltry sounding number of apps given the late release of the API, perhaps they want to say "3,000 apps" or something more convincing than 942 apps and accelerating like a race car. Now there is the $1M campaign for apps. Lots of reasons for ads to be delayed into February...
    Last edited by hinky; 01/31/2010 at 06:22 PM.
    I am at the Rockingham Park Mall in Salem, NH and they are playing a looping advertisement on the TVs scattered throughout the mall. It says something like "the only phone smart enough to keep up with your busy schedule". So there is advertising out there, just maybe not where you'd expect it!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Did it say '...your busy schedule...' or 'Mom's busy schedule'?
    Yeah come to think of it, it was a very mom-oriented commercial. I think it started with some crazy looking lady holding up a calendar full of post it notes. I'm a little disappointed in V but it's better than nothing...
    Last edited by intlbeans; 02/01/2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Nice Tweet
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    I am at the Rockingham Park Mall in Salem, NH and they are playing a looping advertisement on the TVs scattered throughout the mall. It says something like "the only phone smart enough to keep up with your busy schedule". So there is advertising out there, just maybe not where you'd expect it!
    The new ad campaign starts today with two commercials, both targeted at Moms. One is called "Chocolates", and the other is called "Sticky Notes".
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    The 2 Pre ads from Verizon are now on youtube

pretty good stuff!
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Went into my local Verizon store. They still don't even have the Pre Plus. Really bad. I hate to see the quarterly results if they post them. Whose fault is this?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12