Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello, i am currently in the market for a new smartphone ..

Up until a week ago I was a iPhone 32gb 3gs user. A couple days ago the phone was stolen from me at the gym and now i need a replacement phone for personal/business use.

I really did like the iPhone. The iPod was great, The glass screen was beautiful, and the 32gb memory was perfect for my music and videos. And the apps are awesome also espicially Skype which i use alot when i travel overseas.

The thing is my family has 6 accounts with Sprint (Simply Everything 89.00) and my recent att bill was 129+tax. So no im thinking of switching to Sprint and getting the pre. I always liked the Pre (Web OS, multitasking, gestures), but the reason i never got one was becuase there are so many user complaint about hardware, battery, laggy os etc. that i never got one. On the other hand the iPhone for me has been excellent with no hardware issues ever, and good battery life. I easily got 9am to 10pm on a single charge (no gaming, light web surfing) Also the iPhone 3gs was very quick and never lageed. For my personal/work email i use MS Exchange which worked excellent on the iPhone aswell.

Now my queshtion is have most of the hardware issues of the Sprint pre been corrected ? Has battery life gotten a little better. Also would it make sence for me to wait till june to wait for a new Web OS phone ? All this talk about the Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pre 2, C40 on the forums is holding me back from buying a sprint pre that seems 7 months dated compared to the competition. I would really like a Web OS slab phone with glass screen, and more memory.

Opions please...
    there is a new build of the regular pre. The newer phones are made better. Look for the silver launch bell to tell it's new.

at launch this ball was pearly white.
    If you were so happy with 32Gb on the iPhone, then 8Gb on the Pre is probably gonna be a deal breaker for you isn't it? The Pre+ has 16Gb but isn't available at Sprint..

Personally I find 8Gb more than enough for a Smartphone. Sure I can't carry "all" my music in my pocket but I do have several hundered songs in it, as well usually at least one full length movie

And yes most of the early problem have been fixed. Battery life is much improved now, the GPU has been recently uncorked, and video recording/editing is showing up next month!
  4.    #4  
    I can "deal" with the limited memory. I only used it on the 3gs because it was there.

I just don't want to deal with annoying hardware issues. I guess the best thing for me is to try one out for 30 days. I am getting the phone for free anyway on a new contract so i would just have to pay for the service in case i dont like it.

On the other had att want's 499 for a "early" upgrade to a new 3gs, AND i have to extend my contract
    Last edited by Nate735; 01/31/2010 at 08:32 AM.
    Consider buying an off-contract phone off ebay or craiglist...often you can get a brand new one for 150-200, and if you take good care of it you should be able to make a good portion of it back by selling it on ebay in 6 months. This will line you up to get whatever the new palm phone is then at the discounted rate. I have no idea what it'll be or look like, but based on my webos experience, i'm already very excited for it!

As far as the hardware, i've had a pre since July. I dropped mine several times right on the power button and it stopped working. However, b/c I had my phantomskinz on it, the phone never had a scratch. Took it to sprint, replaced it no questions asked in about November. The refurb I got seems to have very good build quality. Screen looks great, slider is relatively tight. Also, one thing to consider...a lot of people complain about the oreo effect on these forums, but what does it really mean? Sure it may be a little annoying, but see if you can find many/any posts about the slider mechanism actually breaking?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I got my pre back in September and haven't had a problem with it. I've dropped it a couple of times when getting into or out of my car, and haven't noticed any problems develop. I personally really enjoy this phone.
    I haven't experienced one single thing wrong with my phone since I got it in October/November. Not hardware and not software issues at all.
    You will need to accept some trade-offs.
    • Pre is slower starting applications. Once they are running, switching between them is easy and elegant. I didn't know how much I depended on multitasking until I tried to use my iPod Touch recently.
    • UI...although webOS it truly unique, the smoothness is not yet iPhone-parr. The iPhone uses its graphics processor to help create smooth and fluid UI performance. The Pre has the same processor, however its use to in assisting the UI has not been implemented. Thus, there are sometimes a nanosencod of stutter in the UI animations. There are rumors that using the graphics processor may be used in the future to smooth-out webOS.
    • The iPhone is king when it comes to being a media player. If you just want to listen to a few albums, podcasts and Pandora/Slacker it's a good player. HIGHLY recomend looking into homebrew/beta music players and podcatchers. They are really functional and some unique apps in development.
    • Batterylife is improving but the iPhone has the Pre beat. The reason is that the Pre has about the smallest battery of any snartphone on the market. Medium phone use and medium to light overall should get you a day's-worth of life......but keep a car charger or USB cable near.
    • No one builds devices to the standard of quality that Apple does. Here is where iPhone and apple product users get spoiled. The Pre is on the lower end of build quality but that's not to say it will simply fall apart. I've had mine since launch-day and still in one piece and it's gotten no worse since. The Pre is a 2-piece slider so there not much tight build you can make with this.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 01/31/2010 at 10:01 AM.
    While my phone hasn't gotten to the point I am going to exchange it, it still feels like a playskool toy that a high end smartphone. It wobbles and creaks, the plastic screen is a downside. It just not feel like a quality phone. The OS performance is not snappy in the least. If you go with it be prepared for a good bit of a slowdown compared to the iphone, but you are gaining multitasking ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    You will need to accept som[*]Batterylife is improving but the iPhone has the Pre beat. The reason is that the Pre has about the smallest battery of any snartphone on the market. Medium phone use and medium to light overall should get you a day's-worth of life......but keep a car charger or USB cable can make with this.[/LIST]
    you wrong on battery. The g1 has a 1150mah battery so the pre isn't the smallest on a smrtphone. Also the 3g has a 1150 mah same as the pre and the 3gs has a 1290 mah battery. My g1 with it's 1150mah battery last longer than my pre. Palm needs to do some tweaking to make battery life better.
    all I can say is I hope 1.4 does something with snappyness. I have an extended battery so I'm good.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I find my phone quite sturdy. Newer models have slider/oreo issue addressed it seems. WebOS is regularly updated and things improve each time in many areas incl. battery life. Flash/Video seems to be next.
    The "cloud" has worked for me as well when doing a reload last week. Multi tasking is quite a good feature that you will realize you "cannot do without" when you are used to it.
    In the end?... take your pick but est $500.00 + in savings each year is dough I would say....
    Another saver can be if you as a "family" try to get it as a business account or buy a bucket of minutes. Please note, cell to cell calls do not count against your minutes regardless of network you call. Nites are free as well. Find out between your fam members how many land lines you call and you mite sit even "prettier" in the savings department. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Honestly, if the higher price of AT&T is the only thing making you switch to Sprint, then I would say do it. Don't switch thinking you're getting a better phone than what you had with your iPhone. The Pre is a decent phone, but a huge step down from the iPhone as far as I am concerned. I don't give a rip about multitasking. The pre is all plastic, very cheap feeling. It is quite poorly made. The OS is often very slow.

Personally, I would hold out for the next gen iPhone. Which I hope and pray, comes to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    you wrong on battery. The g1 has a 1150mah battery so the pre isn't the smallest on a smrtphone. Also the 3g has a 1150 mah same as the pre and the 3gs has a 1290 mah battery. My g1 with it's 1150mah battery last longer than my pre. Palm needs to do some tweaking to make battery life better.
    OK thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophersky View Post
    The Pre is a decent phone, but a huge step down from the iPhone as far as I am concerned..
    May I ask how long have you been having your Pre?

i would consider exact opposite, Pre is a HUGE step up from iPhone. as far as I am concerned. What makes a phone better is the OS, just like majority people say they like Macs because of OSX, not the shell outside it.
    Yeah I've never had an iPhone but do have an iPod Touch. I LOVED the iPod Touch when I got it (got it before the Pre), but since getting my Pre the iPod Touch never comes out of my junk drawer anymore.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've had the Pre since June 7, 2009. My wife and I each got one almost a year to the day after we each got the Samsung Instinct (which was quite a disappointing phone). I had to pay full price for my Pre ($549) which really ticked me off that I had to pay full price, especially being a Sprint Premier customer.

I also have switched to a Mac Pro, after being an avid Windows user/gamer for years. I feel OSX is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows, and the build quality of the Mac Pro is untouchable by any other PC manufacturer that I have seen. The Mac Pro is without a doubt the best computer I have ever owned.

For what I want, the iPhone is better than the Pre in every way. Especially for speed, and build quality. I know the multitasking aspect is a huge plus for most folks, I honestly do not consider it a huge deal at all. But you can bet the next generation of iPhone OS, will absolutely have true multitasking.

Just as OSX handles multitasking better than Windows can ever dream to do. Try opening a 200MB image in Photoshop, a 64 page layout in Indesign, and a few vector graphics in Illustrator, all at the same time on a PC. And watch how quickly things come to a screeching halt. A Mac will do it effortlessly, all day long.
    I came over from an iPhone as well. Personally, I'm way more productive on the pre then I ever was on my iPhone. Build quality on the iPhone isn't the greatest either or at least for me it wasn't. I had 3 iPhones, 1 2g and 2 3gs, first 3g got stuck in headphone mode and the second would overheat after talking for 20 minutes. and randomly restart. The pre still needs some work but overall, its a great phone that gets better every month! Btw, once you multitask for about a week, you wont want a phone that doesnt and the pre does it best imo.
    Love my Pre!!!!! Psn: tj501
    The Pre also isn't outdated by any means. It has the same processor as the Droid and iPhone 3GS.
    I just went to the Apple store the other day to get a good head to head comparison. I really appreciated the snappy and fluid UI as well as the number of quality apps on the iphone.

That being said the iphone OS is rather dated, in fact it's unacceptable. The lack of multi-tasking combined with no gesture area and no physical keyboard is what you would expect for a phone that came out in 2007.

The fact that the ipad couldn't multi-task tells us that Apple still doesn't get it.

The Pre is highly customizable through Homebrew and you should be able to get good battery life through the power saving apps like GPS & Data Toggles.

Add to that, Sprint is rolling out 4G this year and the Pre is getting Flash and you have a winner.
    Last edited by foosball; 01/31/2010 at 12:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast