Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I just went to the Apple store the other day to get a good head to head comparison. I really appreciated the snappy and fluid UI as well as the number of quality apps on the iphone.

That being said the iphone OS is rather dated, in fact it's unacceptable. The lack of multi-tasking combined with no gesture area and no physical keyboard is what you would expect for a phone that came out in 2007.

The Pre is highly customizable through Homebrew and you should be able to get good battery life through the power saving apps like GPS & Data Toggles.

The fact that the ipad couldn't multi-task tells us that Apple still doesn't get it.

Add to that, Sprint is rolling out 4G this year and the Pre is getting Flash and you have a winner.
    Is a physical keyboard a hallmark of cutting-edge technology? If so, Google and HTC have made some huge missteps with their latest offerings. When a touchscreen is implemented well, I actually prefer a virtual keyboard to a physical one. But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by krusenkevin View Post
    Is a physical keyboard a hallmark of cutting-edge technology?.
    nor is a last decade battery, LCD, memory, HDD, metal

cutting edge technology means nothing.

computer keyboard was there from the start, its obviously not "cutting edge", are you gonna remove that?

if you gonna chasing "cutting edge technology", you can retire whatever gadget, computers you have right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophersky View Post
    I've had the Pre since June 7, 2009. My wife and I each got one almost a year to the day after we each got the Samsung Instinct (which was quite a disappointing phone). I had to pay full price for my Pre ($549) which really ticked me off that I had to pay full price, especially being a Sprint Premier customer.

I also have switched to a Mac Pro, after being an avid Windows user/gamer for years. I feel OSX is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows, and the build quality of the Mac Pro is untouchable by any other PC manufacturer that I have seen. The Mac Pro is without a doubt the best computer I have ever owned.

For what I want, the iPhone is better than the Pre in every way. Especially for speed, and build quality. I know the multitasking aspect is a huge plus for most folks, I honestly do not consider it a huge deal at all. But you can bet the next generation of iPhone OS, will absolutely have true multitasking.

Just as OSX handles multitasking better than Windows can ever dream to do. Try opening a 200MB image in Photoshop, a 64 page layout in Indesign, and a few vector graphics in Illustrator, all at the same time on a PC. And watch how quickly things come to a screeching halt. A Mac will do it effortlessly, all day long.
    I don't think I have ever disagreed with a post so strongly in a long tome.

but it is cute to witness the birth of an icultist
    I've had the Pre since June 7, 2009. My wife and I each got one almost a year to the day after we each got the Samsung Instinct (which was quite a disappointing phone). I had to pay full price for my Pre ($549) which really ticked me off that I had to pay full price, especially being a Sprint Premier customer.

I also have switched to a Mac Pro, after being an avid Windows user/gamer for years. I feel OSX is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows, and the build quality of the Mac Pro is untouchable by any other PC manufacturer that I have seen. The Mac Pro is without a doubt the best computer I have ever owned.

For what I want, the iPhone is better than the Pre in every way. Especially for speed, and build quality. I know the multitasking aspect is a huge plus for most folks, I honestly do not consider it a huge deal at all. But you can bet the next generation of iPhone OS, will absolutely have true multitasking.

Just as OSX handles multitasking better than Windows can ever dream to do. Try opening a 200MB image in Photoshop, a 64 page layout in Indesign, and a few vector graphics in Illustrator, all at the same time on a PC. And watch how quickly things come to a screeching halt. A Mac will do it effortlessly, all day long.
    Funny you should mention that a Mac is so much better. I used to be an avid apple user. Had an iPhone 3G, with a Macbook Pro and it was great. But, I switched back to Windows and got myself a Pre. I just hate the fact that the iPhone is so locked down by Apple. Sure, it might be faster, but hey, it's been out longer and it's not doing something as innovative as using web technologies to run applications. Instead, it's just doing straight Objective-C running as machine code, which is MUCH faster for the time being. I'll take the Pre though, which I can happily hack all day long and not have to worry about my next OS upgrade, because Apple decided to lock down the security exploit someone had to use to jailbreak it.

Just a thought though. You mention all those things you can do with a Mac that it'll do effortlessly all day. You mentioned a PC would come to a screeching halt. Not really sure what kind of PC you were running it is sure wasn't fast. You probably justified the exorbitant cost of a Mac Pro due to the fact it had that shinny Apple logo on it. I, on the other hand, spend about 1500 bucks on a Core i7 custom machine with a proper Nvidia graphics card(GTX 285). Unless you've made a point out of upgrading it, It'll do circles around your computer doing the exact same tasks, I can guarantee it. Heck, it could run OS X too if I was ever so inclined! So, you just spend about 1000 more than I did, on a slower computer. Sure, you got OS X, but once one puts it that way, can you really justify that 1k you more or less spent on a software license?

/rant

Anyways, as I said earlier, WebOS is definitely not as fluid as iPhone and it doesnt have nearly the same app support either. But, it's an evolving platform and it will get there. I'd suggest you take the Pre out for a spin for 30 days and see if you're feeling it. I switched over from a 16GB 3G and I was very happy.
    The iPhone GUI is smoother *today* than on the Pre or Pixi, but I'm optimistic the playing field will be a lot more level once Palm releases a firmware patch that utilizes the GPU for general display usage. I don't think 1.4 is gonna do it, but 1.5 might
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    You will need to accept some trade-offs.
    • Pre is slower starting applications. Once they are running, switching between them is easy and elegant. I didn't know how much I depended on multitasking until I tried to use my iPod Touch recently.
    • UI...although webOS it truly unique, the smoothness is not yet iPhone-parr. The iPhone uses its graphics processor to help create smooth and fluid UI performance. The Pre has the same processor, however its use to in assisting the UI has not been implemented. Thus, there are sometimes a nanosencod of stutter in the UI animations. There are rumors that using the graphics processor may be used in the future to smooth-out webOS.
    • The iPhone is king when it comes to being a media player. If you just want to listen to a few albums, podcasts and Pandora/Slacker it's a good player. HIGHLY recomend looking into homebrew/beta music players and podcatchers. They are really functional and some unique apps in development.
    • Batterylife is improving but the iPhone has the Pre beat. The reason is that the Pre has about the smallest battery of any snartphone on the market. Medium phone use and medium to light overall should get you a day's-worth of life......but keep a car charger or USB cable near.
    • No one builds devices to the standard of quality that Apple does. Here is where iPhone and apple product users get spoiled. The Pre is on the lower end of build quality but that's not to say it will simply fall apart. I've had mine since launch-day and still in one piece and it's gotten no worse since. The Pre is a 2-piece slider so there not much tight build you can make with this.
    I had an iPhone 3GS too, infact I still have it...These are most of the tradeoffs, but all in all it will suffice especially after seeing a bill under $100 for the first time.
  7.    #27  
    Thanks for all the comments and opinions. At the end of the day i need a reliable phone, with good email support, and proper battery life. Apps, games and music aren't the most important thing to me. Although they are a bonus .

Also the fact that i can be saving anywhere from 300-500 a year with Sprint is to good to pass up. So i ordered a Palm Pre. I'm going to trial it out for 30 days. Lets see if palm made any progress over 8 months. My limit on exchanges in case i have to is 3. After that i think i may just buy another iPhone.

Ill update this thread when i get it !
    I know this thread is not about computers, but I personally like to have both a mac and pc. The macbook is definitely a better laptop though, and I just bought the new one with a 7 hr battery for $900 with the student discount, and I'm not a student (they don't even ask for a student id).

Back to topic. For a 1st gen phone still on version 1.3, the Pre is amazing, but if they ever bring the iphone to Sprint I would probably switch. That's just personal preference though. Multitasking is not really that important to me, but no phone is worth paying $130 a month for. I pay only $68 a month including tax for all the minutes, data, and text I can possibly use.

Was this on all equal hardware machines that you were making your comparison? The fact is that all Macs come with very good hardware, because they won't sell anything less, but Apple does also mark up the price. Most of the laptops you get at bestbuy are crap, with corners cut (mostly crappy video cards).

However, the one place where Apple will always win in my mind is the lack of bloatware. I really think MS should sell MS laptops (made by HTC or ASUS) and have a clean install of Win 7 on it. I would pay extra for that.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate735 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and opinions. At the end of the day i need a reliable phone, with good email support, and proper battery life. Apps, games and music aren't the most important thing to me. Although they are a bonus .

Also the fact that i can be saving anywhere from 300-500 a year with Sprint is to good to pass up. So i ordered a Palm Pre. I'm going to trial it out for 30 days. Lets see if palm made any progress over 8 months. My limit on exchanges in case i have to is 3. After that i think i may just buy another iPhone.

Ill update this thread when i get it !
    u said u want a reliable phone, with good email support, and good battery life, you should go with the blackberry instead
    My launch day Pre has been a rock. Nothing wrong with it at all. I just popped in a 1350 mA battery and everything is groovy!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    k let me just say, since i owned a pre first i dont think i be able to go to an iPhone without multitasking, but on that same note i dont think i would be able to deal with the drop in speed if i owned the iPhone first. multitasking is just one of those things that its real difficult to just stop using if you used it once before. im hoping though with 1.4 we can get some speed, but who knows.
    We have 3 launch day Pre's in our family, still performing well, solid hardware.
    I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but it sounds like the iPhone met all your needs. Just cut down on some of the add-ons and maybe you can still have an AT&T plan. Because, honestly, the Pre is laggy and the battery life leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't bother me that much, but I'm coming from the "dumb" phone world. It might bug you since you're coming from a whole different world.
    Yeah, if you are not into mutitasking, flash and things like that and don't mind overpaying for crappy service, stick with at&t.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    We have 3 launch day Pre's in our family, still performing well, solid hardware.
    The hardware has room for improvement. I've had mine for a little under 4 weeks and I've got the "oreo effect", a loose usb port door, and the phone squeeks when I type sometimes. I haven't requested a replacement because I don't want a refurb. They need to invest more money into the build quality of the phone, and perhaps use more metal and less plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    The hardware has room for improvement. I've had mine for a little under 4 weeks and I've got the "oreo effect", a loose usb port door, and the phone squeeks when I type sometimes. I haven't requested a replacement because I don't want a refurb. They need to invest more money into the build quality of the phone, and perhaps use more metal and less plastic.
    No offence but a refurb is usually better built as it has the latest upgraded parts..I just dont get the problem w/ a refurb....Mine is leaps and bounds better than my New one.

If they use more metal and less plastic it will surely cost more.

JMHO
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12