Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I remember when I 1st installed preware onto my palm pre hand held, I recall reading that I need to uninstall preware b4 updating my pre, or my phone would crash. Is this true? All i've ever used preware for was to install the virtual keyboard. Can anyone please elaborate and explain to me what I need to do b4 downloading any palm updates to my pre? I'm not tech savvy at all and am afraid that I will screw this all up, and ruin my phone. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks so much! Also is there anyone out there who had the original sprint pre and has now switched to verizon and gotten the pre plus? If so, is it worth it? I've had this pre since day 1 that it came out. I am such a palm loyalist, and get so excited when they put new phones out! They are by far the best phones on the market ( an iphone can't even touch what a pre can do!), I kinda even wanna get a pixi (dang that thing is sleek lookin, almost took me back to my old centro days when I was playin around with the pixi plus @ the verizon kiosk in the mall). I'll stop ramblin now, but it's kinda drivin me nuts that I don't have the pre plus yet, the keyboard and slider seem way more sturdy on the pre plus. Please leave any info on my 2 questions....thanks everyone!
    you should uninstall all patches and themes before updating.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    you should uninstall all patches and themes before updating.
    what's a patch? Or theme? Like I said bot tech savvy @ all. If I just delete preware from my phone, will that do what I need to do to prevent a big mess? Thanks and sorry for all the dumb questions
    I was under the impression that with the new patch system, that we do not need to uninstall the patches any longer. Maybe Jason can confirm and/or explain?
    I likey take apart thingies....
    when you upgrade your phone you should always have it without any enhancements from preware (ie. virtual keyboard, patches, or any 3rd party phone upgrades) just to be on the safe side... Because plam doesn't create these upgrades they might interfere with something in the operating system that palm isn't aware of during the upgrade... anyway just to be safe remove it b4 u upgrade to 1.4...
    no need to apoligize, we all gotta start somewhere, and you made a good choice picking this forum.

from my understanding, patches basicly re-write sections of palm's code, so when an update is released, palm has written their update code to be compatible with a "stock" pre/pixi. sometimes the patches work fine after an update, but other times, it causes conflicts in the system, so it doesnt function properly. themes replace the images used to create the User interface, such as icons.

No uninstalling preware wont uninstall patches or themes. However, most if not all can be uninstalled using preware by simply going into the "installed packages" tab and selecting what you want to uninstall. applications are usually safe so no need to uninstall them. mainly patches, themes, and possibly the linux applications and services (im not sure on last two.

there is an app in preware called "emergency patch recovery". It can be found in the "linux applications" tab. that should remove all patches. The Virtual keyboard is a patch, so make sure to remove it manually or use the EPR.
    Last edited by GarrettQ; 01/31/2010 at 09:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post

I hadnt read that, and if thats true, then thats awesome. However, like illskill mentioned, i usually remove every thing anyway just to be safe. Its not as much of a hassle for me, since the only patch i use is the LED notifications. no themes.
    I guess we'll see when the 1.4 update hits....but this time I'm going to be ambitious and NOT uninstall anything.

Worst that happens is I have to make a visit to the WebOS Doc. I haven't heard of any cases where someone has bricked their Pre JUST on patches gone awry.....SO FAR
    I'm thinking this question was posed because the Virtual Keyboard is not a typical patch. It adds folders to the USB drive, and perhaps does other things too. It's not nearly as easy to remove as regular patches. However, it's now listed as an available patch in Preware, so they may have found a easier way to update it. I too am a little apprehensive about keeping the Virtual Keyboard installed during the next update. It would be nice if an expert could chime in an reassure a few of us.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    yea, I'm just looking for specific instructions as to how to get rid of this virtual keyboard, it's cool,but has way to many glitches. Anyone know if palm is planning on including a virtual keyboard with any future updates?
    keep it up man very well post. i wish you Good Luck for your better Future
    EDYTHA